Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Cingular and Voicestream

Discussion in 'Southern US Wireless Forum' started by erub, Aug 14, 2002.

1. erub

erub Junior Member

I'm leaving for Texas A&M in about a week, it is located in College Station. Currently I am 8 months into my 2 year Cingular contract. My inclination is to stay with them, because I know that the service is good in both places. But I am not that happy with their current rate plans. The place I am living in next year doesn't have local phone service included - Verizon wants $42 to install it, and about $18 (after all the taxes) to get a local phone. Because of this, my inclination is to only use my cell phone, however, I am slightly worried that I will not have enough minutes. While at home I use close or slightly more than my allotted 400 anytime minutes, not enough extra to really add much to the bill, but enough that I have to watch my useage. Cingular in College Station offers 450 anytime minutes for the same $40/month, so I will switch to that plan, and am considering going up to the 600 anytime minute plan for $50/month.

But for the same $50/month, Voicestream offers 3000 anytime. The only thing negative about that is, I have no idea how good Voicestream's coverage is in Dallas/College Station or in the state of TX on the whole. GSM would be cool to have though, but the $150 early termination is a bitter bullet to bite, and one I probably wouldn't.

I read here that Cingular is going to do rollover minutes in the new home plans $39.99 and up in Cali/Nevada. Will that be happening in Texas as well? If so, that would be very cool, its probably exactly what I need. I might add 500 m2m minutes - 2 of my good friends use Cingular, and I probably spend the majority of my time on the phone with them (they are both going to A&M with me) and just be content.

Also, currently my phone is in my grandfather's name. My family would like my grandmother to switch it to put it under my name, because they think she is getting slightly on the senile side, and just to have her give me the money to pay the bill myself. The only thing is, I currently don't really have any credit, since I just turned 18. I have one credit card in my own name that I have had for about 2 months. I am willing to put up a deposit though if necessary, and/or have a spending cap set up on my account (probably a good idea anyways [​IMG]). Are there any Cingular reps in Dallas that could assist my grandmother and I with this? [​IMG]

2. RBOCMAN

RBOCMAN Junior Member

Verizon is your local landline provider? In Texas? that SBC's backyard... Anyways, I've travelled to dallas with my Voicestream and Cingular phones and they both performed marvelously. I always lean towards VoiceStream beaucause of their GSM advantage, but Cingular did perform well with minimal drop calls and static. Im not sure how coverage is in College Station though. BellSouth and SBC now offer discounts on Cingular wireless plans if you sign up for one of their preferred land line deals.(Complete Choice for BellSouth and Works for SBC)

Mind you the 3000minutes is a regional plan so the roaming is limited, but that like 50hrs of pure wireless use.

3. erub

erub Junior Member

Well, today I went into the local Cingular store, and amazingly enough, they approved the transfer of the account from my grandmother to me, without requiring a deposit on my behalf. I think I will be staying with them, espically since I have confirmed that there will be rollover minutes available.