Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Cingular and T-Mobile in Princeton NJ

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by speedofsignal, Mar 28, 2005.

1. speedofsignal

speedofsignal New Member

Hello,

I'm with VZW and I'm thinking to switch to either Cingular or T-Mobile.

Can anyone kindly share your experiences wtih Cingular and T-Mobile in Princeton, West Windsor, Plainsboro in NJ area?

Many thanks in advance!

2. jones

jones Silver Senior Member

t-mobile you can do a personal coverage check on their website,
    where you can type in your address.
    White is Dead Zone,
    Light Grey fluctuates from Dead Zone to Dropped call.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    With Cingular you will have both the AT&T Network & the Cingular network giving you decent coverage, I haven't been down there in a while but Cingular Orange is using 850/1900 & Blue was 1900 only, You could get a GoPhone & try it everywhere you need it before migrating over & try the T-Mobile site suggested by jones.

4. cll

cll Junior Member

My Phone:
    Treo650
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular Blue, TMobile
    My experience with ATT in that area has been ok. Good coverage wherever I have needed it without dropping calls. I also recently convinced a friend in that area to migrate a TDMA to GSM with ATT and he was raving over the difference in ability to hold a call. I cant speak from recent experience with TMo but you can check the very detailed map on their website.

5. dallison

dallison Senior Member

apparently a lot of pharmacetical reps use verizon in that area. my fiance's aunt had att gsm about a year ago and she dropped a lot of calls. she switched to verizon and she hasnt mentioned any poor coverage.

6. Critic

Critic The Digital Ruler

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 3G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Speedofsignal - I live in West Windsor, work in Princeton/Hopewell, and drive all over the area. If I had to give you a recommendation, I would tell you to stick with VZW, as I have yet to be anywhere in Mercer County or the surrounding area that isn't covered by VZW.

That said, a couple of my co-workers were ATTWS, now Cingular, and they have had no complaints about coverage. My friend's wife is on TMobile, and she likes the service (mainly for the price), but I can't say how their service is.

One thing you should consider is WHY you want to switch. If you search the old forums here, you'll see that I very seriously considered switching to Cingular about a year back, mainly over phone selection and customer service issues. But in the end, the thing that was most important to me was coverage, and for that point alone, I stayed with VZW. (Of course, that was before the CingulATT merge, so YMMV now.)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. jones

hope this helps

[​IMG]

8. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    The problem with these maps, are they aren't acurate & generalize the coverage. What Cingular needs is the same coverage map the T-Mobile has on there site, then you would have a better picture of coverage where you need it.

9. Critic

Critic The Digital Ruler

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 3G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    That's an excellent point. I remember, about 7 years ago, I decided to buy my first cell phone (ie: the first one that wasn't paid for by my parents). ATTWS (which had just turned on TDMA at the time, I think) came highly recommended, followed by VZW (then "Bell Atlantic/NYNEX Mobile") - the idea was to to go with "anyone but Comcast CellularOne". The ATTWS coverage map showed NJ covered completely in red, indicating full digital coverage. But when I went to their website to buy the phone, I punched in my zipcode, only to find out that "coverage was not available in my area". I later spoke with a representative who explained that the maps are generalizations, not exact representations of coverage. Once I knew that, I went to VZW. But I wasted two weeks in the process.

10. jones

Comcast Cellular One and ATTWS are now part of
    CINGULAR so it should have better Coveragre.

11. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile

Well, duh, not only that but after 7 years you'd expect coverage to be better, BUT, I have also noted Cingular to paint their maps orange, even in areas where no GSM signal whatsoever is available, THAT's the point Critic and I are making.

12. jones

I'm always in this Area.
    No problem with CINGULAR.