Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

cingular and cingular wireless

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by Rollindown95, Jul 9, 2006.

1. Rollindown95

Rollindown95 Junior Member

is there a difference when a company attaches "wireless" to the end of its name? like is cingular wirless just the full name of the co. or are they one company that do different things?:confused:
    same with verizon, it cals itself verizon wireless also...

2. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    I think it would be just for convenience reasons

3. Scrumhalf

Scrumhalf Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Xiaomi Mi Mix 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T, Sprint
    There are myriad reasons for these distinctions, for corporate reasons. Taxes, accounting, revenue reporting, etc. etc. etc.

In the case of Verizon, it is very simple. Verizon Communications is a US telecom company. Verizon Wireless is a partnership between Verizon Communications (majority partner) and Vodafone PLC (minority partner).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Critic

Critic The Digital Ruler

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 3G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Scrumhalf Johnson is right! Technically speaking, Verizon Wireless' 'real' name is "CellCo Partnership", or something like that. They can't be officially integrated into the greater 'body' of Verizon until/unless Voda sells their stake in the company.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Scrumhalf

My Phone:
    Xiaomi Mi Mix 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T, Sprint
    Who is Scrumhalf Johnson? :lmao:

6. wirles

wirles I'm baaaaaaaaaack

My Phone:
    iPhone 4S
    Wireless Provider(s):
    All of the above
    Isn't that name long gone. I thought it was only the entity name of the group that bid on the spectrum auctions.

7. Critic

Critic The Digital Ruler

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 3G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    "Blazing Saddles"?

No?

8. Scrumhalf

My Phone:
    Xiaomi Mi Mix 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T, Sprint
    :rotfl:

9. Telekom

Telekom Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 5310, iPhone 3G[S]
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile US, Fido CA, T-Mobile NL, Orange IL
    More than likely if you look at what the company registers itself as a presence it's more than likely Cellco Partnership just as T-Mobile is registered as Omnipoint Communications Inc. or it may be listed as SBC Telecom (AT&T) or Blue Licenses Holding LLC (Cingular Wireless Blue) Verizon is listed as Airtouch Communications. cingular is also listed as Pacific Bell Mobile Services. It depends on where you are what a particular entity is called.

10. wirles

wirles I'm baaaaaaaaaack

My Phone:
    iPhone 4S
    Wireless Provider(s):
    All of the above
    The company names you reference are the original license holders.....for example:

Pac Bell's license is now owned/operated by Cingular. Pac Bell has not business relationship with Cingular other than being acquired. Southwestern Bell Corp, spends the late Nineties scooping up its fellow local phone companies, buying Pacific Telesis Group (PacBell) in 1997, Southern New England Telecommunications in 1998, and Ameritech in 1999. In 2002, SBC Communications, as it is now known, decides to ditch all the regional brand names and call the entire company simply SBC.

Same for T-Mobile and Omnipoint. T-Mo bough Omnipoint years ago.

AirTouch Communications was a U.S.-based wireless service provider that was created when PacTel Cellular was spun off from Pacific Telesis on April 1, 1994, forming both AirTouch Cellular and AirTouch Paging. On June 30, 1999, AirTouch Communications merged with U.K.-based Vodafone Group Plc, and the new company was called Vodafone AirTouch Plc. In September 1999, Vodafone AirTouch announced a $70-billion joint venture with Bell Atlantic Corp. to be called Verizon Wireless, and which would be comprised of the two companies' U.S. wireless assets: Bell Atlantic Mobile, AirTouch Cellular, PrimeCo Communications, and AirTouch Paging.