Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Cingular 64kb SIM Card

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by orin999, Jan 27, 2005.

1. orin999

orin999 New Member

My mother has a phone with a 32kb sim card (I think). Her reception is fine, but I'm wondering if she should upgade to a 64 anyway. So my question is: does the 64 kb card have any benefits aside from improved reception?

2. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    If she is happy with her service, I wouldn't worry about the 64K sim card. If she really needed one, Cingular will give it to her. When she upgrades to a new phone,she will get one then, if Cingular still needs them.

The card doesn't hold more phone numbers or anything like that.

Welcome to the WA forums.

3. Tony E!

Tony E! Retired Mod

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    doesn't your phone need to be ENS capable in order to take advantage of the 64k sim card's capabilities?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    That's correct.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. pcardoza

pcardoza Junior Member

What's correct? ENS? Is it vaporware or for real? Can you point me to some OFFICIAL source for ENS information? No HOFO threads please..... something official like a Cingular Web Page or a handset manufacturer's Web Page????

6. azcellphonejunkie

azcellphonejunkie The Cell Phone Junkie

My Phone:
    iPhone 3GS
    Wireless Provider(s):
    ATT, Verizon, Sprint |Prior: Alltel, Nextel
    Here is another link that talked about this link

Here is one from Howard howard link

7. pcardoza

pcardoza Junior Member

You consider either of those links OFFICIAL information???? :confused:

8. azcellphonejunkie

My Phone:
    iPhone 3GS
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Just looked back at your post, and saw you are looking for OFFICIAL info. These of course are not official links. I did a google search for "64k vs. 32k sim cingular" and got those 2 results. Do it for yourself and read what the people have to say. I can't find anything on the Cingular site about them...

9. pcardoza

pcardoza Junior Member

Which is my whole point. I'm a believer that cingular has either fabricated this ENS feature OR has included it as part of the 64k SIM. If it were actually part of the handset firmware, there would be some reference to it on a manufacturer site.

Cingular is pushing new phones on anyone migrating from Blue to Orange, IMO, because they don't want to deal with the effort of totally reconfiguring both the data settings and unlocking of blue phones. Probably a logical strategy effort wise. I'm thinking the ENS handset issue is just vaporware, made up as a tool to convince us that the new handset is really needed.

10. azcellphonejunkie

My Phone:
    iPhone 3GS
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Vaporware huh? :) I like the name, that is a new one for me. I guess unless someone has an official source of what the difference is between the 2, we really have no way to verify that the SIM's are any different.

11. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I know pcardoza has been trying to get an official word from Cingular on this & can't get anything official from them or there sites. It is a shame they can't give more info on this & is why it seems suspicious. Some people are claiming it is important but without factual backup it's hard to understand it.

12. Swordmasterblack

Swordmasterblack Junior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola V505/v551/v3m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular/AT&T Wireless Verizon Wireless
    the 64k sim enables load balancing on new phones to better utilize the 2 networks, it does offer a small upgrade in storage over the 32 k 250 entries numbers 40 speed dials and 30 sms messages. this is the only advantage to this new card if your not having problems stick with what you got. this info is from the cingular training manual

13. azcellphonejunkie

My Phone:
    iPhone 3GS
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Thank you for the information, it sounds like this is the most official information that we have yet on this!

14. whosurbud

whosurbud Junior Member

ENS - Enhanced Network Selection.

Basically think of it as having a S/W "program" that runs on the SIM card, thus the need for the SIM card with more eeprom space. The "program" works in concert with an ENS capable handset to alter the
    handset's Network Selection Rules, normally it would follow GSM standards for Network selection. Think of Enhanced Network Selection as an enhancement to standard GSM Network Selection. It's "Enhanced" because now the operator has more control over what system the phones are on in given areas, on a subscriber basis, instead of the phones. As someone else said, allowing them to load balance the networks.

Also note that Network Selection is only done while the phone is in IDLE Mode, so I don't think it would do anything with a Call In Progress. With a call in progress, the serving cell and switch are still controlling the call.

15. azcellphonejunkie

My Phone:
    iPhone 3GS
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Would it have any impact in my ability to choose T-Mobile over Cingular's network or is it only for choosing the AT&T GSM over Cingular's network? I can choose the T-Mobile network with my 64K SIM anytime I want. Is this what the ENS is doing for me?

16. Swordmasterblack

Swordmasterblack Junior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola V505/v551/v3m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular/AT&T Wireless Verizon Wireless
    i can't say for certain about other regions, but i know that in CT the ens capable phones have the network selection option disabled on them, this was at the request of the regional vice president

17. azcellphonejunkie

My Phone:
    iPhone 3GS
    Wireless Provider(s):
    OK, I am able to do it here with my phone so it must be regional...

18. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    While it is obvious that 64K has more memory than 32K (for Java appls, or storage, etc), my two Nokia phones do not make use of it in terms of contact numbers. The storage on the SIM is still limited to 250 numbers.

19. pcardoza

pcardoza Junior Member

As much as we appreciate your posting of this info, you don't qualify as an official source. This is no more comforting to me than the 100's of similar posts I've seen on HOFO. Again, where is the official documentation????

20. azcellphonejunkie

My Phone:
    iPhone 3GS
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I don't think we are going to make you happy until we get something that is a link to Cingular that says what the benefits are of the 64K card :). I do like your persistence!

21. pcardoza

pcardoza Junior Member

Or something from a handset manufacturer's Web site confirming that ENS is for real. How can something that is supposed to be so helpful, such a mystery? Everyone seems to believe it's for real, but there's nothing official, backing it up.

22. azcellphonejunkie

My Phone:
    iPhone 3GS
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I agree 100%. You have me doubting the 64K stuff now after the time I have put into this thread...

23. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I also agree, if it was everything they say it is, there should be documentation about it somewhere. It does make it hard to believe what the claims are.

24. dallison

dallison Senior Member

ENS is a three letter acronym for a term that describes balanced call volume on our networks. While some equipment we offer is ENS compatible, it is not required to receive connectivity to the Cingular Wireless voice and data networks.
    Customers don't need to take any action in regard to ENS.
    All SIM cards, including the 64k SIM card, provide the same access to the network. It is not necessary for customers to change SIM cards, unless they are converting from AT&T Wireless service to Cingular service.

25. azcellphonejunkie

My Phone:
    iPhone 3GS
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Great description, thank you for that!

26. whosurbud

whosurbud Junior Member

Az,

No, for that you need something called "Manual Network Selection" to be enabled on your SIM card. That's is a "BIT" that gets toggled to allow the user to manually scan and select the network of their choosing. I don't think you'll find an operator willing to give that feature to the Avg Joe user.

27. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    How come T-Mobile and AT&T Wireless allow manual network selection? In addition, all other GSM operators that I know of (except Cingular) allow Manual Network Selection. This goes back to the origins of the GSM standards.

By the way, pcardoza, you'll just have to take our word for granted. Just because WA and HoFo are not official sources doesn't mean that the information given here is false. The sources that me and others have consulted to obtain information about ENS are indeed official. There's no way for us to give you direct contact to those sources just to satisfy your skepticism. The closest I can give you is a link to the December 1st conference call where Cingular's top officials discussed the progress of the merger. In it, Cingular's Chief Operating Officer, Ralph De La Vega mentioned what ENS does.

You can listen to the conference call in the archives of Cingular's newsroom in Cingular's website by entering the Events Calendar in the Investor Relations section and finding the past events. Trust me, ENS is not a rumor or any "vaporware" as you call it.

28. whosurbud

whosurbud Junior Member

That's interesting...I'll ask around, see what I find out if that's so (wouldn't know, never saw anything but a CW SIM).

Maybe they just figure the Avg Joe doesn't need it?? Wonder if you asked some CSR if they'd do it for ya, I doubt they'd even know what it was though.
    Never know maybe you'd get lucky and get the right one???

29. pcardoza

pcardoza Junior Member

Thanks, but I will not take anyone's word for granted. This issue is just way too low key for my taste.

30. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only

I also got many 'official' information on what 'Cingular Extend' meant (ie I would be charged roaming) when it was displayed on my phone....and it was completely wrong and not impletmented correctly.

I'm sure ENS is not just a rumor, but whether it really means anything, or it works the way intended, doesn't seem confirmed.

From my own experience, the CEO or COO probably knows the least about whether something technical actually works.