Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Cingular, 6340i, and GSM

Discussion in 'NOKIA' started by GSMFreak, Apr 4, 2004.

1. GSMFreak

GSMFreak New Member

My Phone:
    Motorola V600
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular (GSM Nation)
    I am currently using a Nokia 6340i with Cingular service. I wanted to upgrade my plan to a Nation GSM package and was told by Cingular service that I needed a GSM phone.

Sine the 6340i is a GSM phone, what's the problem? I realize that the phone also has CDMA and Analog modes. If they don't want me to be able to drop in to a CDMA or analog site, I'm sure there is a way to make the 6340i stay in GSM mode only.

I do have an unlocked 6310i that works fine with my SIM but the reception on my 6340i under GSM is much better. Does anyone know if I can just have Cingular convert my plan to a GSM only service - they had no problem putting me on the plan with the 6310i, and then using my 6340i?

Thanks,
    Andy

2. pakman234

pakman234 Junior Member

I think youll have to because you can only use a GSM phone not a multinetwork phone (i.e the Nokia 6340i which operates on 850/1900 MHz GSM, TDMA, and Analog Networks which is your phone) the Nokia 6340i does not have CDMA capabilities because if it was Cingular would not carry it they are only a TDMA and GSM service provider.

3. GSMFreak

GSMFreak New Member

My Phone:
    Motorola V600
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular (GSM Nation)
    The CDMA was a typo on my part.

I can understand them not wanting you to be able to jump from GSM to TDMA, to analog, but there should be a way to lock the phone in GSM only mode.

Thanks!!

4. ShoresGuy

ShoresGuy Euer WA Experte in Europa

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    HTC/T-Mobile MDA II PPC
    Wireless Provider(s):
    E-Plus (BASE 12 month flatrate)/Vodafone Germany
    Well you could try keeping the 6340i in Manual Network Select and see if it stays on Cingular GSM but that may not work if the TDMA/AMPS signal is stronger.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. GSMFreak

GSMFreak New Member

My Phone:
    Motorola V600
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular (GSM Nation)
    The Cingular 6340i phone has the menu item for selecting the network blocked out. Nokia ships them to Cingular that way. I can't change modes from the menu. I'm sure that there are codes that can be entered to force the phone in to a particular mode.

Thanks !!

6. pakman234

pakman234 Junior Member

I would suggest to just go with GSM because thats just too much work and TDMA is slowly decreasing and eventually it and AMPS will be done away with..I have had GSM before and really wasnt impressed but that was like 2 years ago also had TDMA which was alright but the carriers were crappy. Now Im with VERIZON and couldnt be any happier!

7. GSMFreak

GSMFreak New Member

My Phone:
    Motorola V600
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular (GSM Nation)
    I do want to go with a pure GSM phone. I will probably have them switch my package and use the unlocked Nokia 6310i that I have. Anyone know of a good GSM phone, 1900 and 1800 that is about the size of the 6310i and 6340i?

Thanks!

8. faxmaster

faxmaster New Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 2128i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon; Southern Linc
    Can't you just get a non-GAIT chip? I have a 6340i with my old chip and I don't have any problems with the GSM plan (?).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. GSMFreak

GSMFreak New Member

My Phone:
    Motorola V600
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular (GSM Nation)
    I called Cingular again and this time I was told that when I switch to the GSM plan my current SIM will work but I should go to a Cingular store and have a tech make it a pure GSM (non-GAIT) SIM. The 6340i will work fine.

I guess my problem is solved. I'm amazed at the different answers I get when I talk to Cingular's "technical" people.

10. ShoresGuy

My Phone:
    HTC/T-Mobile MDA II PPC
    Wireless Provider(s):
    What have they been telling for example? Did they tell you anything outrageous? I reread your posts to make sure I didn't ask a redundant question [​IMG].

11. GSMFreak

GSMFreak New Member

My Phone:
    Motorola V600
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular (GSM Nation)
    The most outrageous thing was that the 6340i isn't, nor does it support, GSM. Not even 15 seconds later the same person told me that the phone supported GSM, TDMA, and Analog modes, but won't work on GSM - confused? I really wanted to ask what the difference was between GSM and the GSM the 6340i works with but didn't have the time. I'm sure that would have been quite entertaining.

12. hillbilly44

hillbilly44 Senior Member

That's not completely correct, the 6340i supports GSM 1900/850, plus TDMA 1900/850 and also Analog. Sometimes the phone gets "confused" with multiple neworks. As far as a GSM only phone take a look at the 3590,6800 or even the Samsungs (which have pretty good RF performance). The GAIT phone as it's also know as was only intended to be a stop gap until the GSM networks were un and running. You would be better with a GSM only phone away. Good Luck

13. GSMFreak

GSMFreak New Member

My Phone:
    Motorola V600
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular (GSM Nation)
    I know it's not correct, the 6340i does support GSM. It was the Cingular Tech that was handing out the BS. If I would have had the time, I would have kept the conversation going to see just how deep it would get.

I am switching to pure GSM as soon as my unlocked Treo 600 arrives.

14. ShoresGuy

My Phone:
    HTC/T-Mobile MDA II PPC
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Interesting, how long until you get your Treo [​IMG]?

15. GSMFreak

GSMFreak New Member

My Phone:
    Motorola V600
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular (GSM Nation)
    Should have it sometime next week.

16. michaelwriter

michaelwriter New Member

Got your phone yet? How do you like it? I am wanting to get the sony/erickson P900 cuz I don't like the old palm software the treo uses. Anyone have it? And, alas...it is a triband phone and has 1900 freq; and the dallas area uses 850 freq. Does anyone know which direction we are going--to 850 or 1900? And where does 1900 work on Cingular?

17. ShoresGuy

My Phone:
    HTC/T-Mobile MDA II PPC
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Dallas is 850, I believe so you'll have to pass on the P800/P900 for now I'm afraid. 1900 might become available once Cingular and AT&T complete their merger (expect it sometime next year) but coverage would depend on how well built-out AT&T's GSM 1900 network is in Dallas. If you don't want to go with Cingular, you could always get an unlocked P900 by itself and go with T-Mobile who is 1900 only all across the US. Cingular has GSM 1900 in most markets such as all of CA, NC, SC and GSM 850 only in places like Boston and Miami. Combined GSM 850/1900 markets include quite a few areas of the East Coast and the South but just not in Dallas.

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

18. GSMFreak

GSMFreak New Member

My Phone:
    Motorola V600
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular (GSM Nation)
    I haven't received my phone as of this morning. I called the dealer and they said that the Treo 600 was backordered and should be in next week. So another week slips by.

I can't speak for your area of the country, but the GSM service provided by both Cingular and AT&T are great in this area (Chicago). That's my opinion of course, I'm sure there are a few that would disagree.

As for the Palm OS, have you used vesion 5 of their OS?

Once I receive the Treo 600 I'll let everyone know if I wasted my money or found it a good investment.

19. michaelwriter

michaelwriter New Member

Why did you choose this phone? The reviews seem mixed, and the small keys clunckly. I am using palm 4.1, not 5. And you?

20. michaelwriter

michaelwriter New Member

So, it looks like 850 is the way Cingular is going.....i wonder why sony is putting all their effort into 1900? T-mobile and ATT wireless don't work in my area, so i am stuck with Cingular or Sprint, and not even Sprint, since they don't have GSM!!! I am shipping my beautiful Sony P900 back....too bad [​IMG]

21. GSMFreak

GSMFreak New Member

My Phone:
    Motorola V600
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular (GSM Nation)
    I am running Palm OS 5.2 on a Tungsten C and a Tungsten T2. I really never had any complaints about the earlier versions of their OS. I do like the newer version of their handwriting recognition - Graffiti 2, which appeared once the OS jumped to version 5.x.

I've read a number of reviews on the Treo 600 and really haven't heard any negative comments. I can understand mixed feelings regarding the size of the keyboard; I don't think any one size of key can please everyone. The Tungsten C is a good example. I find the keyboard fine for typing a few words, but would never attempt to use it to type in anything more then a paragraph or two in a document.

From my discussions with Cingular, they seem to be adopting GSM 1900 more then 850. I think everything in this area is 1900. The only 850 site I've heard of has been up in Wisonsin.

22. ShoresGuy

My Phone:
    HTC/T-Mobile MDA II PPC
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Michael, for now it seems like you'll be better off with a quadband phone and since you'd like a PDA type phone, it'd be best to consider a phone like the Treo 600 since that has all 4 bands. With time, SE might develop quadband phones. Heck they might even go for a GSM 850 version of the P900 but I haven't come across any rumors about such plans.

23. GSMFreak

GSMFreak New Member

My Phone:
    Motorola V600
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular (GSM Nation)
    I gave up on the Treo 600. The distributor I was purchasing it from kept giving me different stories about the delivery dates. After the 3rd or 4th time I heard "they are due in next week", I told them to cancel the order.

I'm looking at Motorola's V400 quad band now. It's unfortunate that Nokia doesn't make a quad band GSM phone.