Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Cing Map wrong - TMDA/AMPs no better.

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by viewfly, May 29, 2005.

1. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Here is a case where the official Cingular map is wrong (but for the better!)and that the old TMDA & analog network it not a great back up either.

I friend with Cingular has complained for years about a coverage hole in the lower NE section of CT (north of Danbury). The Cingular Map shows it;his own phone doesn't work there too. There has been talk about new towers going up for years but it was never clear which carrier it would be.

I was a little surprised about the lack of coverage since I go through that general area too and have noticed improved service. We checked the tmobile coverage maps and it seems like the area has coverage. We also knew that Nextel worked.

Hmm. My friend has TMDA/Analog service. Doesn't want to upgrade to GSM. So I went to the exact area in question armed with my GSM phone and my old TMDA/Analog phone. Guess what? He's right no service at all, none...on TDMA/Amps. On the GSM phone I had 5 out of 7 bars...sometimes all 7!

Well Cingular still shows the coverage hole and I convinced my friend that if new towers are going up they will not be TDMA or AMPS. He could also be roaming on Tmobile too, but needs that GSM phone.

I know more that a few that are holding on to the TMDA service because of cheap plans they have. But it seems these guys are shooting themselves in the foot in terms of expanding service and Cingular is help keeping alive bad coverage feelings.

The quicker TMDA is gone the better IMO and get the remaining 10% or 5 million customers switched over. At the very least, force all of them get GAIT phones if thery really need the old system coverage.

The GSM network is getting very good.

2. jones

jones Silver Senior Member

From the Moment That Cingular
    Announced that they will Go with GSM,
    All new Towers are GSM only.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Which map are you talking about? I don't see any hole in the regional map for CT.

There are some areas in NJ that used to be weak to dead with TDMA/AMPS and now have full GSM service. This is because, as jones said above, all new towers are GSM only.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    It is really tiny and the new cingular web page maps are too low res to see it. It is very near the NY/CT boarder. I don't see regional maps for New England either. But when they had them, it was there, a couple of months ago. But I've noticed the improvement for longer than that.

Yes, all new towers are GSM only, and the old towers have more GSM transmitter then TDMA I think also. I had a hard time trying to convince a few friends of that. It is really frustrating to hear them say that the coverage is no good, when they are using yesterdays phones.

5. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Maybe you need to meet them there with your GSM phone & show them it works to make calls, sometimes people don't want to believe until they see.

6. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Yea. Maybe Cingular will start sending me a paycheck to help them sell there service. Just a dream.

7. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Bobolito. I read on one of your posts in HoFo that Cingular has street coverage maps available in the company stores, sometime callled MIP (?). Is that true? I understand that they are not available on the web (yet), but that they can be view in the store?

Thanks,