Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

SOUTH U.S. -- Choosing a 3G internet provider for my smartphone

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by Glebun, Jun 2, 2010.

1. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    You won't be able to use an AT&T phone for 3G on T-Mobile in the US, as it lacks the AWS frequencies. Pretty much for T-Mobile you will need a phone that has AWS frequencies which is mostly just seen in their own 3G capable phones sold in the US.

2. Glebun

Glebun Member

then what carrier and plan do I need to get the cheapest 1GB and more 3G internet without a contract on the ATT HTC Tilt 2?

3. ComicalMoodyDan

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    I just thought of something for you. It would be CDMA though but it would be a smart phone, no contract, and good pricing! Have you looked at Virgin Mobile in the US? They have a Blackberry Curve 8530 for $299.99. I'll point out to you two plans compatible with this phone that might be a good fit for you, keep in mind Virgin Mobile doesn't do contracts at all. This is a prepaid company so you are free to leave anytime you like with no penalty.

300 Anytime Minutes
    Unlimited Text, Unlimited Data, Unlimited Messaging
    $35 a month (with the Blackberry 8530)

1200 Anytime Minutes
    Unlimited Text, Unlimited Data, Unlimited Messaging
    $50 a month (with the Blackberry 8530)

4. Glebun

Glebun Member

thanks, but I've already chosen HTC Touch Pro2 as a phone for me. Is there smth compatible with that?

5. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    Generally, you're stuck with AT&T in the US. As mentioned before, TMO is running 3G on an alternate band that your phone does not have, unless you purchased it directly from TMO.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. ComicalMoodyDan

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Jay is correct you'll need a HTC Touch Pro2 from T-Mobile for it it work on T-Mobile 3G. They do sell this phone though so as long as it's an T-Mobile branded one on eBay it would work fine.

1 person likes this.
  7. ComicalMoodyDan

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    According to HTC's website the Touch Pro2 is available on AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon, and Sprint. Now here in the US the problem is each of those models will ONLY work on the carrier designed for. Sprint and Verizon use CDMA and only allow their own branded phones on network. While AT&T and T-Mobile are both GSM they have different 3G frequencies.

The US is a very complicated wireless market full of competing technologies and frequencies. If you are dead set on a Touch Pro2 and at the cheapest price point. Your only option is to get an T-Mobile USA branded one at full retail from T-Mobile or find one off eBay.

1 person likes this.
  8. Glebun

Glebun Member

OK. then what's the cheapest Internet plan for ATT?

I actually need any carrier whose HTC would work in both US and EU and which would provide the cheapest WWW Internet

And now I'm considering another option - buying a HTC HD2

#38 Glebun, Jun 5, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2010
  9. Glebun

Glebun Member

also, in the description of the phones on ebay lots of say "IT IS T-MOBILE BRANDED,BUT IT HAS BEEN UNLOCKED TO USE
    WORLDWIDE WITH ANY GSM SIM CARD." or smth similar. So unlocked T-Mobile phone WILL work in Europe in gsm and 3G?

Pffff.........

10. ComicalMoodyDan

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Yes, a T-Mobile USA branded HTC HD2 that has been unlocked would work in the US on 3G and overseas as well. The HTC HD2 from T-Mobile in the US works on the following bands below. Be warned though while the HTC HD2 supports the AWS 3G frequency in the US it lacks some of the associated bands needed for 3G outside the US. So basically this phone will work in the US on 3G and it will work overseas as well but overseas you may not have a 3G signal with this phone.

GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
    WCDMA 1700 / 2100

1 person likes this.
  11. Glebun

Glebun Member

Phew, at least something good for today..

Then let's return to a plan choosing..

#41 Glebun, Jun 5, 2010
  12. Glebun

Glebun Member

And one more - It says it is compatible with all of the gsm carriers. You, however, said that t-mobile (even unlocked) will work only with t-mobile att with att etc. Or did I get it wrong?

found it in the item descr on ebay. what does it mean?

PS sry, cant edit the post more than once, so have to double post

#42 Glebun, Jun 5, 2010
  13. Glebun

Glebun Member

Yeah, looks like I've decided, finally...I'll buy an HTC HD2 T-Mobile Unlocked phone. The plan will be "Even More Plus Smartphone Unlimited Web & E-mail" (I will use the phone primarily for Internet. For talk I'll use skype or fringe (which also uses skype). T-mobile HD2 uses 850/2100 UMTS 3G network. The only 3G Internet provider in Ukraine (Utel) provides Internet on the frequency of 2100 Mhz, which this phone has.

I think I can buy the phone directly from the T-Mobile, spend my year in the US, then request the unlock code, they'll provide it (won't they?), and that's it - I can return to Ukraine with an unlocked phone. Right?

14. RadioRaiders

RadioRaiders RF Black-Belt

Wireless Provider(s):
    GSM / WCDMA /LTE
    The T-Mobile USA phone does not have 850MHz UMTS, but 1700 (which is used by T-Mobile USA) and 2100 (which is used in all of Europe, including Ukraine)

HTC Mobile Phones - HD2 T-Mobile - Overview

I think T-Mobile should unlock it for you, either immediately, or maybe towards the end of your contract. Ask them.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    1 person likes this.
  15. ComicalMoodyDan

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Well if he pays full retail for it and sings up for an Even More Plus plan he wouldn't be under contract. T-Mobile will provide the unlock code for him but i'm not sure how long you have to be a customer before they provide the code.

1 person likes this.
  16. Glebun

Glebun Member

I gues that will be less than a year, right?

17. ComicalMoodyDan

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Here is T-Mobile's SIM Lock Policy:

SIM Unlock Code
    For information on the SIM Unlock Code, refer to the following:

If you purchased a wireless phone from T-Mobile, your phone has been programmed with a SIM lock which will prevent the phone from operating with other compatible wireless telephone carrier’s services. If you wish to use the phone with the service of another wireless telephone carrier, you must enter a numeric SIM Unlock Code to unlock the phone.

For customers with a T-Mobile Postpaid Plan, T-Mobile will provide the SIM Unlock Code upon request to eligible customers, provided the requesting customer has a minimum of 40 days of active service with T-Mobile.

For customers with a T-Mobile Prepaid Plan, T-Mobile will provide the SIM Unlock Code upon request to eligible customers, provided the requesting customer has a minimum of 60 days of active service with T-Mobile and either a Prepaid Plan account balance of at least $10.00 or a prior refill within the last 30 days.

T-Mobile will provide the SIM Unlock Code upon request to eligible former customers, provided that T-Mobile has such code or can obtain it from the manufacturer.

You may request the SIM Unlock Code for your phone, together with instructions for entering the code, by calling T-Mobile customer care at 1-800-937-8997.

SIM Unlock Code

1 person likes this.
  18. Glebun

Glebun Member

In conclusion:

I buy an HTC HD2 for the full price from T-Mobile.
    I choose the "Even More Plus Smartphone Unlimited Web & E-mail" plan.
    After 40 days I unlock the phone. After the 10 months I return to Ukraine and keep using the 3G Internet.

Sounds like a plan?

Special thanks to ComicalMoodyDan - really helped me out.
    Thanks guys for your support! This forum rocks.

19. ComicalMoodyDan

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    It sounds like you can do that. Although personally I'd go for the Even More Plus 500 Talk+Text+Web plan. I think it's worth $20 more a month to get 500 minutes of usage, Unlimited Nighs & Weekends, and Mobile to Mobile. Skype for Voice mobile calling in my opinion isn't a good choice especially on a Windows Mobile phone since Skype is dropping Windows Mobile support.

Unsupported Browser

20. ComicalMoodyDan

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    It looks like Skype has already dropped Windows Mobile support. They no longer have a Windows Mobile client on their website to download.

21. Glebun

Glebun Member

yeah, I know that. But it says that we can use the skype client downloaded before, there wont be a problem

22. ComicalMoodyDan

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    True although I've never been impressed with Skype or it's relability even on a PC much less a mobile client. Especially the Windows Mobile now unsupported client. Which from what I heard was buggy and somewhat unstable on Windows Mobile.

It's your choice but I think $20 more to get some voice minutes is well worth it.

23. Glebun

Glebun Member

I got your point, thanks)

I'm planning to usу my phone primarily to communicate with my family in Ukraine (im 16, so, you know, they will be nervous back in UA), and Internet is everything I need.

24. RadioRaiders

RadioRaiders RF Black-Belt

Wireless Provider(s):
    GSM / WCDMA /LTE
    That's incorrect. The specs list the "Operating Band", which would be Band IV for AWS and Band I for UMTS2100 used in Europe. AWS does also use 2100MHz, but try to forget that when looking at the "Operating Band".

Have a look here:
    RadioRaiders UMTS Frequency

...I have a T-Mobile USA G1 which has the same frequencies as the HD2 and I'm using 3G in Europe right now
    HTC - Products - T-Mobile G1 - Specification

In short: Glbun: your T-Mobile branded HD2 will work on 3G back in UA and the rest of EU

25. Glebun

Glebun Member

It's Glebun.
    Thanks, what a relief for me after all this...

26. Glebun

Glebun Member

If I buy a T-Mobile (NOT unlocked) HD2 from ebay, will I be able to request the unlock code after 40 days?

27. Glebun

Glebun Member

You really need to extend the editing time limit, seriously...Triple post here...

I've read that if I buy an HD2 from ebay, I can take the data plan for the regular phones for 10$/mo. Is it true? Wont TMO find out? Are there any fees for breaking the TOS like that?

I gues I'm not gonna run out of answers anyway...

28. Glebun

Glebun Member

..anybody?

29. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    If you buy a locked phone on Ebay the carrier will only give you the unlock code if you're a customer in good standing at the time you request the code. TMO may find out that you're using a smartphone on a dumbphone data plan and automatically switch you to the higher plan. Its a risk.

30. Glebun

Glebun Member

a customer in good standing - what does it mean?