Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Chinese phone no longer works

Discussion in 'T-Mobile Forum' started by berniebob, Oct 8, 2008.

1. berniebob

berniebob New Member

I've had a T-Mobile prepaid account for a year, and am in good standing. I can send and receive calls with the T-Mobile-supplied Samsung phone.

On my last trip to China, a purchased an UNLOCKED GSM phone there for use in Asia.

Upon my return, I placed the SIM from the Samsung into the Chinese phone, and was able to make one call before the phone becomes inoperable. By that I mean that the phone will power up and search for a tower, but as soon as "T-Mobile" appears in the service provider space, the phone shuts off. If I do a hard reset ("Restore Factory Settings"), I can get the process started again, but the results are identical. T-Mobile says the problem is in the phone.

So for S&G's I buy an AT&T prepaid SIM, and I experience exactly the same result! It does say "AT&T" in the service provider area, but shuts down in the same fashion. AT&T claims that their prepaid SIMs do not have any usage restrictions in the US, only that the phone is unlocked.

The phone does not have a label indicating a manufacturer, model or serial number. What would cause the phone to work once or twice here in the USA on both GSM providers; then be denied access? I definitely think the problem is with T-Mobile and AT&T, not the hardware.

Any thoughts?

Bernie

2. Tony E!

Tony E! Retired Mod

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Bernie, welcome to WA..

Can you give more info on the device you bought from China so that we can take it from there.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. berniebob

berniebob New Member

As I stated in my original post, there is no manufacturer name, model number or serial number. It is a candy-bar style phone. The Asian service provider was Titan, from Jakarta.

#3 berniebob, Oct 8, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2008
  4. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    Take the battery out of the phone. Usually there is a label there that gives you model information.

-Jay

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. berniebob

berniebob New Member

There is no manufacturer, model number or serial number on any surface of the phone or its components

6. Telekom

Telekom Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 5310, iPhone 3G[S]
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile US, Fido CA, T-Mobile NL, Orange IL
    If it's a GSM phone it has to have an IMEI. If you don't see the IMEI listed underneath the battery key *#06# and that will reveal the IMEI.

7. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Bernie,

The phone would not shut off even if both T-Mobile & AT&T SIM was denying access, it would say "access denied" or some such thing. Unfortunately I do agree with TM & ATT, there is no restriction other than the phone be unlocked.

It will be very hard to offer any solution without knowing anything about the phone. You said you bought it for use in Asia, so it may be a 900/1800 phone and that would not work with the US network of 850/1900 even if the phone did not shut off.

Sorry we canot offer you a solution.

Good luck.

PS: Did the phone work properly in Asia?

#7 charlyee, Oct 9, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2008
  8. berniebob

berniebob New Member

The phone worked in Asia, and it will work one or two times in the US, before it quits. I was able to retrieve the IMEI and IMEISV in the manner described above; thanks. I'll dig further.

9. Tony E!

Tony E! Retired Mod

My Phone:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    That sequence does not work with all phones.

10. Telekom

Telekom Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 5310, iPhone 3G[S]
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile US, Fido CA, T-Mobile NL, Orange IL
    No, only GSM phones.

11. RadioRaiders

RadioRaiders RF Black-Belt

Wireless Provider(s):
    GSM / WCDMA /LTE
    My best guess would be that the "mystery manufacturer" made the phone to scan the Asian bands (GSM 900/1800 I guess) and if no network is found, then the phone should shut itsself off, rather than keep trying to find a frequency that isn't available and potentially causing interference. :confused:

...either that, or it's just a POS phone :browani:

**edit*
    Oh, wait, you made a call on T-Mob USA? Then it must have the 1900 band on it. Hmmm...strange. In that case I'll go with my second theory I posted above ;)