Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Chicagoland Customers Can Do More with Wireless: Sprint Enhances Wireless Coverage

Discussion in 'Central US Wireless Forum' started by larry, Feb 19, 2008.

1. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Chicagoland Customers Can Do More with Wireless: Sprint Enhances Wireless Coverage and Network Capacity
    Significant Network Enhancements Are Part of a $56.5 Million Area-Wide Investment in 2007

CHICAGO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Feb. 19, 2008--Sprint (NYSE:S) wireless customers in the Chicagoland area who already take advantage of the company's networks should experience even better wireless services as a result of Sprint local network enhancements that occurred throughout 2007. Sprint added 106 wireless cell sites and created 177 in-building network solutions during 2007 to the Nationwide Sprint Network and Nextel National Network in the greater Chicago area.

"With a clear focus on serving its customers, Sprint is making significant investments to increase coverage and capacity in its wireless networks in Chicago and throughout the country," said J.W. Penland, Sprint area vice president for Illinois and Wisconsin. "In 2008, customer satisfaction and network quality are top priorities, as customers rely on Sprint to stay connected."

The following list outlines some local areas benefiting from these enhancements:

New Nationwide Sprint Network cell sites:

Sixty-six Sprint sites launched in 2007
    Antioch, Ill., at Routes 173 and 83 (Main Street)
    Bartlett, Ill., US-20 and IL-59
    Chicago O'Hare Airport: Underground CTA pedestrian tunnel, Terminal Five
    Chicago: a number of locations, including:
    Navy Pier
    h Austin Boulevard and Lake Street
    Halsted and West 127th streets
    United Center
    West Washington Boulevard and Damen Avenue
    Glen Ellyn, Ill., downtown Glen Ellyn and vicinity
    Portage, Ind.: Route 249 and Dunes Highway
    South Elgin, Ill., Randall and Hopps roads
    Veteran's Memorial Highway (I-355 expansion): Three additional sites
    Woodstock, Ill., Route 120 (McHenry Avenue) and Raffel Road

New Nextel National Network cell sites:

Forty Nextel sites launched in 2007
    Bolingbrook, Ill., near Boughton and Weber Roads
    Chicago: numerous locations, including:
    East Congress Parkway and South Wabash Avenue
    Grant Park: Five new sites serving the area
    South Halsted and West 125th streets
    South Pulaski Road and West 115th Street
    South State Street and South Wabash Avenue
    West Jackson Boulevard and South Jefferson Street
    Highland Park, Ill., Park Avenue West and Skokie Highway (US 41)
    Highwood, Ill., Sheridan Road and First Street
    Oak Brook, Ill., Route 34 (31st Street) and Route 83 (Kingery Highway)

Nationally during 2007, Sprint added more than 4,000 cell sites to the Nationwide Sprint Network and Nextel National Network. Both networks are currently performing at their best-ever levels, which means fewer blocked or dropped calls, translating to better connections for customers.

2. Shizam76

Shizam76 Shizam! Babyyyyy!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t
    Re: Chicagoland Customers Can Do More with Wireless: Sprint Enhances Wireless Coverag

:headscrat I don't know about that (best-ever levels) My sister and her husband finally dropped Sprint after continuous calls chopping off...and dropping...and not being able to make calls in alot of areas. Now we can carry a conversation without interruption.

My Dad hates his Nextel phone...and only keeps it because he talks to guys at the jobsites...while on the jobsites. At home...he turns the thing off :rolleyes:

3. Cailiff04

Cailiff04 Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S5
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Re: Chicagoland Customers Can Do More with Wireless: Sprint Enhances Wireless Coverag

Typical for sprint to upgrade things in the "BIG CITIES" but they dont so anything in their smaller cities!!!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint

Why do you feel the need to go around Sprint bashing all the time? It appears you don't even use them. For the record your statement is totally incorrect.

5. Gamer03

Gamer03 Technology Aficionado
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola X Pure
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless

Actually Sprint has improved the Everglades City area. Last time it was bad was a few years ago. As of 2004, the population was 513. So yes they do improve smaller cities. :rolleyes:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Eric47

Eric47 Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    crackberry's

i mean there is only so much you can do with only 1900 licenses...this is why sprint is so reliant on alltel and verizon in rural areas, but generally in city areas and most highways they are working it seems..it all depends..sometimes it seems that they are complacent with just giving people roaming and not concerned about giving them native coverage

7. Gamer03

Gamer03 Technology Aficionado
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola X Pure
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless

That is true. In fact, I was talking about this very subject with a friend of my the other day. I was deep inland in my county and the closest towers were approx. 10 miles away, and our Verizon phones were 0 bars and not working (the calls would fail). Even forcing the phones over ot Alltel resulted in the same thing. I picked up my Sprint phone and I was receiving a native Sprint signal and 90% of the time had EVDO. I could even connect the calls.

Below is two of the pictures that I took with my digital camera of the off-road scenes where my dad and I learned about new things to incorporate into our family run ecotour business:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint

Does roaming really matter these days? All features are available now and of course no roaming charges. It's not 1999 or 2000 anymore when not having native coverage somewhere was such a big deal. It seems like nobody ever picks on the other carriers who also rely on roaming. Instead they give them a pass and only single out Sprint. :confused: But regardless the vast majority of Sprint customer don't roam or roam very little anyway. But even the ones who do roam have access to the largest coverage area out of any carrier as Sprint's roaming agreements are the most extensive.

9. Eric47

My Phone:
    crackberry's

Yes for people not living in a native sprint area and having sprintt its a big deal. Not having m2m or n&w when people think they have it can KILL someones minutes.

Honestly sprint is like TMOB but better roaming agreements but just bc u have good roaming doesnt mean its good for people in roaming areas.

I think this is also why tmob has a better reputation is they dont tick customers off with constant roaming...they are very upfront about where they do and dont work

10. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint

If someone is living in a non Sprint native area then they shouldn't have Sprint to begin with.

11. Eric47

My Phone:
    crackberry's

i agree lol...that doesnt mean that their arent indirects and possibly even direct sales people slingin sprint phones to people in the boondocks just to get that new activation