Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Changing Sprint Touch Pro back cover color

Discussion in 'Sprint Forum' started by modenaf1, Aug 12, 2009.

1. modenaf1

modenaf1 New Member

My Phone:
    HTC TP Winmo 6.5
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint Sero
    Hey everyone, I was a bit bored and had an extra cover for the Sprint Touch Pro laying around. I never was too fond of the silverygoldish stock sprint cover, so I decided to try some dye. I read up on this on another forum and decided to give it a go. I mixed the dye into some warm water and put the cover in for about 8 minutes.

Here it is before:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here it is after, next to an unmodified cover on a Sprint Touch Pro:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This dye is supposed to come out as being a nice cool blue, however I made the mistake of putting too much dye in. Much too much dye. This made it come out more purple than anything unfortunately. In person it is much more purple than the pictures depict. I might try mixing some black dye up and doing a fade effect from black into the blue (which is unfortunately a bit purpleish :( ).

Anyway, just thought I would share.

2. TnA2xXtReM

TnA2xXtReM Member

My Phone:
    HTC Touch Pro 1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint, T-Mobile (Previous: Cingular/AT&T)
    Very nice! Yeah, I remember reading about the whole 'dying your TP back cover' late last year when I was in the library, but never got a chance to do it (or forgot to) later on. That what you get for procrastinating 6 plus months into the future xD

It is just too bad it turned out purple, but you can undo that dye by getting the remover. I seen that the black ones are pretty nice... and I'll probably do one if I have the time to go to Wal-Mart and turn that place upside down looking for that dye (once again, forgot the name xD).

3. modenaf1

modenaf1 New Member

My Phone:
    HTC TP Winmo 6.5
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint Sero

Haha, it's called RIT dye. I went to Joann Fabrics and they had a huge selection. It was about 2.25 a box.

If you do it, just remember, only add a small amount of dye to the water. You can always add more if it isn't enough. I made the big mistake of just dumping a bunch in, thus it is purple.

4. TnA2xXtReM

TnA2xXtReM Member

My Phone:
    HTC Touch Pro 1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    RIT dye... that woke me up, lol. I actually forgot to stop by TMobile earlier today to take a look at the TP2.. guess I have to do that, go to Wal-Mart and then a Dollar Tree store to buy a cheapo pot to burn my baby back cover into a supastar :D. Matter fact, the back cover is a little bit lighter than its side. I remember I used to tethered a lot when I was living with my friends outside of college. Dang HTC and its heating issue >.<

5. modenaf1

modenaf1 New Member

My Phone:
    HTC TP Winmo 6.5
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint Sero

Talk about a heating issue lol. Just for shiggles I tried turning on all the radios, downloading something over wifi, GPS on, brightness all the way up, and hTorch running the camera LED at full flash brightness continuously. In about 30 seconds that thing got unbelievably hot.

6. TnA2xXtReM

TnA2xXtReM Member

My Phone:
    HTC Touch Pro 1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Yeah, that heating issue had became a problem for the battery as well. As long as HTC fix their heating issue and upgrade your battery, I'm in love :wink:

7. TnA2xXtReM

TnA2xXtReM Member

My Phone:
    HTC Touch Pro 1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Just decided to do this today and brought a bottle of RIT at Wally World for >$3. I also didn't want to go that pot method. Rather, I just use a cup with boiled water. Here is my result:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. modenaf1

modenaf1 New Member

My Phone:
    HTC TP Winmo 6.5
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint Sero
    Lookin good! I might try and get some Rit dye remover and try and redo my cover that turned out to be bright purple.

9. TnA2xXtReM

TnA2xXtReM Member

My Phone:
    HTC Touch Pro 1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Wirelessly posted (HTC Touch Pro: Opera/9.5 (Microsoft Windows; PPC; Opera Mobi/16643; U; en))

When I was at WalMart, I didn't see any RIT dye remover, but have you tried rubbing *******? Those might works as well.

10. modenaf1

modenaf1 New Member

My Phone:
    HTC TP Winmo 6.5
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint Sero
    Well, I got the Rit dye remover and it took most of it off! It left the cover looking slightly brown/gold.

I redyed it watered down to 1/3rd the concentration it was before, and it came out excellent! The blue is a bit darker than the photos depict, and there isn't a hint of purple!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Right next to it is the brand new back cover that came with my phone. It is actually silver unlike the ones from the used phones which seem to turn slightly brown.

11. TnA2xXtReM

TnA2xXtReM Member

My Phone:
    HTC Touch Pro 1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Glad that the dye remover worked for you as for the purplish color is eh for a man :)

About the TP cover, it seem like all the newer TP comes with silver cover, unlike the champagne colored ones before. The silver cover is nice, but if you like black, it is a good choice to go too. When I first dyed mine black, I kind of disappointed as it wasn't what I expected. However, after 2 days, it came out better than expected (dark matte black all over). I guess it has something to do with the drying process. Black black, chrome middle and black front.. so gangsta xD.

12. modenaf1

modenaf1 New Member

My Phone:
    HTC TP Winmo 6.5
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint Sero
    Stopped by a Sprint store and got another brand new silver cover. I turned this one black. :D

Here is my collection so far:
    [​IMG]

13. TnA2xXtReM

TnA2xXtReM Member

My Phone:
    HTC Touch Pro 1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Nice, how much did the cover cost at Sprint? Also, you might consider dying that silver to a purple? It sure does looks nice xD.

By th way, might want to change your 'Craptastic' Verizon service provider :D

14. modenaf1

modenaf1 New Member

My Phone:
    HTC TP Winmo 6.5
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint Sero

LOL, nah I think I like silver better than purple. :p lol.

And yea, I updated my profile right after I posted. No more VZW for me. :D You have no idea how happy I am about that.

Also, the covers are free at sprint stores. :) I just told them the camera lense was all scratched up and asked if they had a spare. One was quite scuffed up (the one I dyed blue), and the other was brand new (the silver one I got today that is now black).