Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Changing providers...

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by navzdy, Oct 22, 2004.

1. navzdy

navzdy New Member

My Phone:
    v60-original
    Wireless Provider(s):
    vzw
    well i am not sure yet, but i think i am going to chage from verizon wireless to one of the GSM providers. but which one? i doubt i would change to t-mobile because they have the worst coverage, but i'm open to hearing feedback. also i do not travel over seas very often but i might soon, so which would be the best for this. and comments you have would help (even those saying i should stay with verizon) thank you
    EDIT: and the phones DO matter to me, i know it shouldnt but i would like like to have feature packed phones in the future

2. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I think you answered your own question. If you ruled out T-Mobile, there's no other choice but Cingular.

Remember AT&T Wireless will be acquired by Cingular anyway so they won't exist for long.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. macsesso

macsesso Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry Storm 9550
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizonwireless
    I know that you said phones matter to you but if you are satisfied with Verizon's coverage and customer service be sure the carrier you switch to gives you the same. After all, what good is a snappy, feature laden GSM phone if its major use will be as a paperweight?

Give the new carrier a try and use the phone in all areas you used Verizonwireless. If you are satisfied with the coverage go for it. If not stay with Verizon. Verizon is said to have the best overall coverage but your mileage may vary.

If all factors are not equal then switching carriers just because you like the phones is absolutely the wrong reason.

4. pcardoza

pcardoza Junior Member

Well, for any type of international activity, AT&T offers the best rates by far, unless you go get an international SIM card for use when overseas (and unlock your phone). I assume this will carry over after the merger, but have no idea on the details.

I do agree that TMO is the last option for GSM due to coverage inadequecies.

If I were in your position, I'd jump on the AT&T bandwagon with along with the international features that best meet your travel plans. That'll cover you for at least a couple of years!

5. dead zone

dead zone Junior Member

My Phone:
    VX10000 Voyager
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    i have verizon myself....coverage has to be the best but there some areas such as my house that has very little signal. I recently bought a v400 from cingular for a family member and that phone works excellent in the house. One thing i really dislike bout GSM service is the loud static in the phones.

6. navzdy

navzdy New Member

My Phone:
    v60-original
    Wireless Provider(s):
    vzw
    i tested out a GSM phone a few years ago and the sound quality sounded buetter than Verizon and CDMA, i havent heard much since then but i was under the impression that GSM had better voice quality

7. egale

egale Member

I am in the process of that now. I am in the NYC Long Island area and a long time Verizon customer. I just started service with Cingular and have been lugging the two phones around to compare service and signal strength.

So far, the only place Verizon wins in on the track level at Penn Station and inside the train inside Penn Station and in the East River Tunnel. On the platforms, Cingular service is weak and in the train on the platform and in the tunnel, there is no service while Verizon is strong. In NYC everywhere else I have found service very similar. On Long Island where I live (south shore Nassau), Cingular beats Verizon by a large margin. At home, I get super service with Cingular and really bad service with Verizon.

My contract with Verizon is over in a couple of weeks. I will port my number over to Cingular then.

8. scottb

scottb Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel 6 Pro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile, Visible
    Wirelessly posted (Samsung i600: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE; Smartphone; 176x220))

deadzone, I had a v400 for a short time and did not notice any static. Could there be something wrong with your phone? nadzdy, There are CDMA phones that come close, but it seems in general, GSM has better voice quality.

9. egale

egale Member

With Verizon, I have a 4400b and with Cingular the V400. There is a difference in sound. The LG is a bassier warm muddy sound and the V400 is a cleaner sharper sound with a slight hint of hiss. But, before the 4400b I had the Moto V60i and that phone was much less bassy and sounded like the V400 with Cingular.

So it seems to me, alot of sound quality differences are phone not carrier related. Maybe technology plays a part too but each manufacturer's equipment does sound different.

10. macsesso

macsesso Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry Storm 9550
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizonwireless
    I agree. I found that my V60i had excellent sound qualities. Sometimes better than my landline. I didn't like the sound on my Lg VX 6000. I could never find the right volume setting for me. My Audiovox is somewhere in the middle but closer to the Motorola V60i. I used a friend's Sony Ericson phone. It sounded like I was inside a tin can

11. Obi-Wan

Obi-Wan New Member

Yeah I have been to NY a few times Cingular networks performs pretty well in the area. I like GSM because I travel to alot of international destinations. Good luck in your decision but cingular seems like a fair choice.