Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

CellularOne PRL update

Discussion in 'Alltel Forum' started by Hambone53, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Hambone53

Hambone53 New Member

My Phone:
    LG LX5550
    Wireless Provider(s):
    CellularOne-Now Alltel
    I had CellularOne, which is now Alltel. I think my phone has an old PRL, 88. my wife's has PRL 87. I noticed that when roaming, she uses some different systems than I do. Sometimes she gets signal and I don't. I was wondering if I can still update my PRL now that Alltel has taken over. If not over the air, then by keypad or if I have to, take it to the store. I'd rather do it myself, if possible. My worry is, will the Alltel folks even know how to program my phone for a CellOne PRL. I don't want to get a new phone or change my plan at this time. If anyone can tell me how to easily do this myself, I'd be most grateful. Thanks in advance.

2. Tigger58056

Tigger58056 New Member

My Phone:
    kyocera 484
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel..old cell one customer
    Seems like after March 10 things got out of hand on them. My Moble web (cellularone) is gone and they cant get it going. You can take it in and have them do a software update and see if that helps you out. Do the one where you just punch the numbers in. To flash a phone you have to go to one of the main places and I thought id seen a prior post stating they were not going to do cell one phones but take eveything you see with a grain of salt and just go ask.

3. MOTOhooligan

MOTOhooligan Former Mobile Data Addict

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    PRL 87 is the most up-to-date PRL for former CellularONE phones on former CellularONE plans.

If you or your wife have upgraded to an Alltel Freedom plan, even if you still have a former CellularONE phone, you will want to update your PRL by dialing *228 from a digital home area, selecting 'other options' and then 'update roaming capability.' This will flash your phone with the Alltel PRL 206.

However, if you are still on a former CellularONE plan, you will want PRL 87. To get this PRL you will have to go to a sales office (or possibly authorized dealer.) Technical Support at customer service cannot flash PRL 87 into your phone OTA, it has to be done physically.

Currently, wireless web and Hello2Fun in former CellularONE markets is not working correctly, but they are working on correcting this issue.

An Alltel (formerly CellularONE) sales office can flash PRL 87 into a former CellularONE phone on a former CellularONE plan. What they cannot do is flash the full Alltel firmware into a CellularONE phone.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Hambone53

Hambone53 New Member

My Phone:
    LG LX5550
    Wireless Provider(s):
    CellularOne-Now Alltel
    Thank you for your replies. I can only hope our local Alltel office personnel can understand what I want. I have not heard good things about their technical knowledge. I wish I had done the over the air thing before the changeover. For some reason my wife got PRL 87 and I got 88, even though we bought our phones at the exact same time & have the same phones. If I remember correctly, 2 different sales people programmed them, so that's probably why. We are still on a former CellularOne plan, so the OTA programming will not work for me. Wish me luck, we have had a line to the door since Alltel took over and only one sales office in our little town. I might wait until I go to a larger town near us, I've heard better things about their knowledge.

5. MOTOhooligan

MOTOhooligan Former Mobile Data Addict

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Your best bet is probably the Carlsbad or Hobbs sales offices... they seem to know what they're doing.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...