Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Cellular One/Great Lakes/Longlines Q

Discussion in 'All Other Wireless Companies' started by Still observing, Jun 19, 2006.

1. Still observing

Still observing Junior Member

My carrier has a roaming agreement with CellularOne/Great lakes of Iowa, so IN THEORY I'm able to roam when in NW Iowa.

Problem is that when we try to receive calls, each time the phone rings or vibes, it registers as a MISSED Call. This is true for both my Moto V400 and my wife's Nokia 6101. So basically, we can't use our phones to call each other.

And a lot of times when we try to call any number, the dialing just hangs and eventually becomes a call failed.

My guess is that CellOne has very little capacity in this area, and what they do have is prioritized to their own customers.

Any thoughts on this? I don't expect a lot of sympathy when I go into one of their stores and complain about this as a roaming customer.

Who do we know at this company that can answer the quesiton and fix the problem for the thousands of people who visit up here every summer.

2. agentHibby

agentHibby Iowa Cellular Guru

My Phone:
    Nokia 6256i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    I have emailed long lines before and no responce.

Great Lakes of Iowa has 25 MHz Cellular license like all the Cellular providers have.
    The network has AMPS (Analog), TDMA, and CDMA on it.
    If it now has GSM that may lead to overloads, but I think they shoulkd still be ok.

I think the issue is in the switching station (MTSO) and not the towers.

3. Road Lizard

Road Lizard New Member

My company has been optimizing their GSM over the last month or so. They have more sites rolling out next month for us to work on too. It is true that as a roamer you go into a different registry. But i do not know if there are preferences or not. If they have been turning down CDMA radios to make room for GSM channels then capacity will be compromised.