Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Cellular One 850 or 1900???

Discussion in 'All Other Wireless Companies' started by TWX, Nov 11, 2006.

1. TWX

TWX Mobile Enthusiast

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone 5s
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Does Cellular ONE use 1900mhz pcs or do they use 850mhz??? Or which one do they use more?

2. MOTOhooligan

MOTOhooligan Former Mobile Data Addict

My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Nevermind... I thought you were talking about something else... the CellularONE (used to have Alltel) confused me. Thought you were a former WWC customer but then I realized where you're located. My original response makes no sense now.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. jrip

jrip Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo MM-7400
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint,Boost
    In your area, all of Michigan actually, Dobson Cellular One is operating on the 1900mhz PCS spectrum.

4. djjim

djjim Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG VX8370 Clout
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (Old:Alltel, Nextel, At&t, USCC, Cricket)
    You finally ditched Alltel, eh? Tired of no signal in town? I don't blame you. Verizon is like that here, no signal in my neighborhood in a large city! Can you hear me now...NO! It all depends on where you live. GSM does not work for me either since they have zero/no service in a big part of Ohio where much of my family lives. I hope CellOne works for you. I have a feeling you will be happy around your hometown, but will be disappointed when you travel.

5. TWX

TWX Mobile Enthusiast

My Phone:
    iPhone 5s
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Yea, I think CellularONE did a good job building out their network in Michigan, because in August my friend and I went on a road trip up to Copper Harbor in the U.P. The whole time he had better service than me! (he had cell one)
    I will switch back to alltel if they ever improve the service in town.

It's funny though, when im talking on my phone and go near speakers or a little radio it makes a noise on the speaker, its kinda like a high pitch static sound. it's hard to explain. Does anyone know why it does that?? When I had Alltel it never did that.....

6. cellular_freak

cellular_freak Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 5S 64GB White
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Cellular One / Dobson in Michigan and for the most part of the country is at 850 MHz. There are a few areas that are 1900 MHz in northern Michigan but that's just because of when Dobson purchased NPI Wireless. Dobson overlayed those areas with Cellular (850 MHz) coverage.

7. TWX

TWX Mobile Enthusiast

My Phone:
    iPhone 5s
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Cool. So if I were in a NPI Wireless area previosly, and since Dobson bought it, they would change it to 850mhz??? Also would you happen to know if NPI wireless was in Rogers City?? Or did cellone just expand here....

Thanks for helping me out

8. TWX

TWX Mobile Enthusiast

My Phone:
    iPhone 5s
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Ok, never mind. At my house I am using 850mhz, but in Downtown Rogers City I am using 1900mhz PCS.

- Courtesy of T-mobile coverage maps

I look at the map of my area, and T-Mobile roaming is 1900pcs, but 850mhz is just that. And in Rogers City it was T-Mobile roaming. At my house it was 850mhz.

T-Mobile roams offa' Dobson

9. cellular_freak

cellular_freak Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 5S 64GB White
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Yeah, T-Mobile's largest roaming partner is Cellular One since we have the largest rural coverage of any other carrier. I would think that a T-Mobile phone would probably try to pull off from the 1900 MHz Cell One towers first since T-Mobile is strictly 1900 MHz, but I could be wrong. And then they would probably go onto the 850 MHz towers if there is no more 1900 MHz coverage.

10. RadioFoneGuy

RadioFoneGuy Powered by HTC FUZE

My Phone:
    Nokia 6103, 6010, 2260
    Wireless Provider(s):
    The death star formally known as Cell One.
    Pretty close. NPI had the only GSM coverage in northern michigan and had exclusive roaming agreements with Omnipoint which became Voicestream which the Germans bought Voicesteam and named it TMobile. NPI as we all know went bancrupt and Dobson gobbled them up. With the aquisition we had to honor the roaming agreements with T-Mobile. In the roaming agreements we had to maintain NPI's 1900 coverage because Tmobile customers only had 1900 phones.

Now to the good stuff. TMobile has been offering dual band phones to its customers and has allowed us to convert some 1900 towers over to our 850 freqs. It looks hopeful that in the future they will allow us to covert more of the 1900 over to 850. Cross your fingers, I am!