Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Cellular in Japan

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by dobby10, Jan 29, 2002.

1. dobby10

dobby10 Senior Member

Find out some more about cellular in Japan: http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/14578

"Handsets in Japan now come with TFT color screens - from 256 to 65k colors.. and with sufficient resolution and size to display large amounts of information when suitably formatted and paginated. Four-way joysticks are used to navigate through all phone functions, people download screen savers, background pictures, songs (no longer the Nokia type beep-beep tunes, these phones play acceptable music), and generally customize and personalize their phone. "

2. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Yes, that info has been available for a while. Ever since DoCoMo went 3G. The downside of this is that sales (equipment & service) have been so sluggish that the industry has been a bit cautious about rushing into it. Everyone is afraid that they will have spent all this infrustructure upgrade money for nothing. Since Japan is looked to as an industry touchstone, we'll see what happens.

In a similar vein, if Verizon's extra $30/month for 3G is going to be an inkling of the market trends, I wonder how the American consumer will react. The first few posts here have already been negative.

Where ATT deployed 2.5G, they deployed to business customers to test the waters (Washington).

3. dobby10

dobby10 Senior Member

Yeah I knew it has been around for a while but didn't know a lot of that information such as, "99% of handset purchases in Japan now are upgrades rather than new subscribers, as phone ownership is at saturation point." I also did not know about the "current position identification".

4. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    I know the market here in America is expecting this year to be a cash windfall in upgrades. I wonder if they are using Japan as an indicator of that??