Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Cell Tower Proximity and Coverage

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by raz0610, Dec 2, 2016.

1. raz0610

raz0610 New Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Hi,

I'm looking for some insight on the proximity of a cell tower related to the signal. I live in Southern Saratoga County in New York and there is a cell tower being proposed on the property next to my own. In order for Verizon/Cellco to build the tower here, the zoning must be changed from R-1 (residential) to commercial. There are several surrounding neighbors who would prefer that the tower not be built in the middle of our beautiful neighborhood (where there are no other commercial parcels). The only argument we have are against the zoning change, and the fact that it will decrease our property values, and open the door for further commercial development in the future, ...not to mention having an ugly tower a few hundred feet away from our backyards. Many of us would like to preserve what little open land we have left in this area of our town. There are other options available that could effectively solve the gaps in coverage. I am aware that there are other factors such as obstructions, topography, etc, but there are most certainly other existing commercial options that could be pursued, rather than changing the zoning in our backyards.

I created this post because I would like some information regarding the distance of the tower related to our cell service. I know that many of us use cell phones as our primary line of communication now. I'm wondering if having the tower this close to us is going to benefit the ones who have to put up with having it there in the first place? I've heard that since we would be so close to the tower, the signal will not benefit us, and essentially "fly" over us. to reach the majority. Does anyone have an knowledge of this? I would appreciate any input!!

Thank you! :)

2. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Your "fly over" observation is correct. I've heard it illustrated like an umbrella in that, like the prongs on the umbrella, the radio waves radiate outward not downward. Although I know your main question is to gather evidence against the tower, if your sideline question is to improve cellular reception for yourself, you might check out: https://www.weboost.com/. Unlike other fake solutions such as the patches on the back of phones, this is a legit company selling legit solutions -- everything from the residential, to mobile, to commercial boosters.

raz0610 likes this.
  3. raz0610

raz0610 New Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Thanks for the feedback! That's correct, I am trying to gather evidence against the tower. I know that its purpose is to benefit many people in the area for the growing use of phones and demand on existing towers, I just don't agree that it should be placed in the proposed location. Especially in hearing that it may not even have a benefit for the properties that it's intruding on. There are other locations available nearby that are already zoned commercial and could accommodate the tower.
    In regards to the link you provided, thank you! but I actually already have a network extender in my home that helps out. The cell service here isn't great to begin with, but its enough. And it's actually gotten worse since this whole cell tower fight started in the spring; we think they may have dialed down the strength of the signal on the existing tower to prove a point...who knows.

Thanks again!

4. palandri

palandri Former Palm Guy

My Phone:
    Pixel 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Project Fi
    I remember a few years ago there was a big fight with AT&T over a tower they wanted to place in the Boundary Waters area in Minnesota due to aesthetics. I don't know how it was resolved. I just remember glancing over articles about it. You may want to google it.

You may also want to google cell tower regulations in Europe. I know when I am in France I don't see cell tower like we have in the U.S., normally just on top of commercial buildings. Then again, it's a smaller country and their carriers all share the same frequencies.

Good luck to you. I know I wouldn't want a cell tower next to my house.

raz0610 likes this.
  5. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    I think the rezoning issue is probably the biggest issue for the residents in the area. As raz indicated, it is likely to both devalue the homes and invite more industrial development in what has historically been a cozy residential area. On the other side of the coin, towers need to be spaced out for optimal coverage. Likely, Verizon determined that the property they want would fill a gap in service. Moving it even one-half mile in either direction may defeat their intent of fixing the gap issue.

At this point, I know that newer, smaller, cell sites that are inconspicuous and placed closer together (probably the solution palandri mentioned in the post above) may be good compromise for both parties as long as no rezoning is required. One article that may help: http://www.crowncastle.com/communities/small-cell-solutions.aspx

raz0610 and palandri like this.
  6. raz0610

raz0610 New Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Palandri, that is an interesting point and something worth looking into. Thank you for the feedback!

KevinJames, I agree..I know that there are other factors, some of which may be above our heads as members of the community, for the location choice they made. However, they (Verizon) has mentioned plans to co-locate on an existing tower one exit down from us (maybe a couple of miles away) and potentially building a tower at the town's transfer station up the road. Based on the info we've received by attending the meetings, etc, it appears that these additions would solve a large portion of the issue. And since the tower they are proposing on the adjacent property would most likely not benefit the immediate neighbors, or even the neighborhoods directly surrounding us, what is the point in changing a residential zone to commercial just to build an unsightly tower? And as you mentioned, technology is advancing and these towers will most likely be replaced with smaller, less intrusive alternatives in upcoming years...while we'll be stuck with this for the duration of the 30-year lease..and that land will be zoned commercial permanently.

Ughh. I could go on and on.

Thank you for the feedback! :)

palandri likes this.