Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

cell tower location identification

Discussion in 'Southern US Wireless Forum' started by volerpoter, Nov 29, 2004.

1. volerpoter

volerpoter New Member

My Phone:
    Noikia 6600
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I have a Nokia 6600 and am able to determine the cell tower id based on my location (using some proprietary software I have access to). Example:

cell id 10161
    cc and nc 310
    sn = T-Mobile
    ln = T-Mobile

My questions are two-fold:

1) What do these numbers mean (in parcular the cc/nc 310 and 26)?

I've researched with FCC and here is what I found:

A) not all cell towers need to be registered (if not near aiport and less than 200 feet, for example)
    B) FCC registered numbers are 7 digits (and there exists a lot of information to precisely identify location -- lat/long -- of these cell towers that are registered)

2) Is there a source other than FCC that has a database of cell towers that can cross reference back to the information similar to that above to give precise locations (ex: 10161 = lat 37... and long 84...)?

2. agentHibby

agentHibby Iowa Cellular Guru

My Phone:
    Nokia 6256i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    I don't know all the reasons for a tower being registered or not. I know the tower need to have a certain slope to be considered to be an unregistered tower. Alot of the towers in rural areas are registered. you can find registered towers for any comapany Here

http://www.berkana.com/tower.php3

3. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    According to some sources that I've found none of the 1900 Mhz towers are required to be registered with the FCC. It's only mainly for 800 Mhz towers. Of course that doesn't explain why there are quite a few 1900 Mhz towers registered.

4. COtech

COtech Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sam. Galaxy SII Skyrocket
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Mobility
    Those numbers came from the International Telecommunications Union, see this link and get the list of Mobile Network Codes (nc) with their Country Codes (cc). 310-26 is T-Mobile, 310-41 is Cingular (and -15 & -17, and ATTWS's -38). 310=USA.

COtech

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. DanPFW

DanPFW Member

My Phone:
    MotoK1m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    CDMA
    As I understand it, the PCS sites are usually registered only if they are near airports.

Dan

6. thanos1

thanos1 New Member

hi i 'd like to find the tower id from the person i call.and sth else..
    how can i find this software you say that reveals cell id..?thanks!

7. hillbilly44

hillbilly44 Senior Member

A tower has to be registered if it's over 200ft in height or withing the glide slope of an airport (which means they have a strobe light). hope this helps.:D

8. chuikov

chuikov Senior Member

Prior to building a tower, the FAA must make a determination of no hazard to air traffic. At that point the FCC can require registration of not. I think many PCS towers are exempt for reasons I don't understand, but registration for some may be required because they are close enough to airports to require mapping or they have collocators that operate at other frequencies.

9. TelcomJunkie

TelcomJunkie Bad Handoff Investigator

Wireless Provider(s):
    Big Brother
    FCC/FAA Tower registration is 100% based on height. Nothing else, not who the owner is, the frequency, the neighborhood, the technology.. nothing. Just height.

Quoted from another post of mine
    [QUOTE="RobertF]
    It get a little complex as there are a lot of variables that come into play. First off is the main one, near an airport. They use a slope ratio calculation, based on your distance from the airport to determine if you need to have it registered, or painted, or lighted, or all of the above.

Then there is the 200ft rule, if a highest point on the tower is 200ft or more above ground level, registration is required. UNLESS the 200ft tower is blocked by other means such as skyscrapers. If man made or natural objects block the tower from airplanes you don't need to register it.

To top this all off there is the 20 ft rule. Which says that if you add an antenna or tower to the top of a tall building and the tip of the antenna brings the building over 200ft tall, but the antenna is within 20ft of the top of the building then registration ISN'T required. If the tip of the antenna is higher than 20ft off the top of the building then registration IS required.[/QUOTE]

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. TelcomJunkie

Wireless Provider(s):
    Big Brother
  11. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Wow this was an old thread. I was a lot younger the last time I posted here. ;)

12. chuikov

chuikov Senior Member

If true, the implementation and enforcement must be in a confused state. I've been involved with several tall towers with no registration and many short towers with registration.

As for towers in the 150' range and below, the older ones are almost all registered, and the newer ones sometimes are not.

In the past, did companies register towers even when it was not necessary? I've seen side by side towers, and the old one is registered -new one not.

13. TelcomJunkie

Wireless Provider(s):
    Big Brother
    If it isn't required, registration is always optional. Nothing stops someone from registering a 100ft tower. Many tower owners will register it so that others can find it.

14. noahm

noahm Junior Member

My Phone:
    Moto V276
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    I've seen "FCC Id #'s" on the fences surrounding certain towers and their equipment shelters. Is there anyway I can look this up and determine ownership? Just wondering :)

15. TelcomJunkie

Wireless Provider(s):
    Big Brother
  16. hillbilly44

hillbilly44 Senior Member

Sure, they'll tell you that they're owned by Crown Castle, SBA, American Tower, etc. The best way to determine who is on the tower is by looking at the power meters. Most wireless carriers don't own towers anymore. Also the cellular carriers register tower locations per FCC regulations. PCS carriers (1900mhz) don't have to (they don't have contour boundries to provide the FCC). Hope this helps.:cool:

17. noahm

noahm Junior Member

My Phone:
    Moto V276
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Thanks for the info! I know most don't actually own the towers. What do you mean by power meters? :confused:

18. TelcomJunkie

Wireless Provider(s):
    Big Brother
    I don't know how many other ways I can say this. The type of carrier, the frequency, the race of the tower owners brother's college roommate... NONE OF THIS MATTERS. Tower registration is ONLY required based on height.

A quote from me earlier in this post...

Also if you want to ID a site easily just call the NOC number written on the site. Just about every carrier has a sign ID'ing the site. It may not give a name but it should give a site number and contact phone number.

19. TelcomJunkie

Wireless Provider(s):
    Big Brother
    He's refering to the power meter supplied by the local utility. Some carriers will ID their meter with a label. Also some utilities will have a tag attached to the meter which lists the company name on the account. These really depend on the utility as some don't put anything identifying on the meter.