Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Cell tower hunting using a mobile app to determine precise locations

Discussion in 'Cell Tower Hunting Club' started by ctg31, May 17, 2016.

1. ctg31

ctg31 New Member

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I have a theory about using a mobile app on your smartphone that reads the five parameters needed to locate the cell towers position, cell id, mnc, mcc, lac, and net type, then displays it on Google Maps. I found an app that does this using a location based service company, my theory is using this app I believe you can also locate spoofed cell towers if identical parameters show the cell tower in different locations. Any thoughts, questions, or in sites?

2. RadioRaiders

RadioRaiders RF Black-Belt

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    GSM / WCDMA /LTE
    There are some apps out there that are based on that kind of idea, using the signal strength reports to try to "guess" the location of the tower. If there are alot of reports, it can guess it relatively ok. If only a few samples, then it doesn't work well. Google uses also something similar for locating Android users location when they don't have their GPS on (eg. when you open Google maps on your phone)

In my app (Cellumap) I have tower locations on my map (www.cellumap.com) and then you can make/view signal strength plots around it and figure out if your provier is on that tower or not, and by looking at the Cell ID's on the map, you can figure out which sector covers what area exactly. Have a look here for an example:

http://www.cellumap.com/how-to.html

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Bryce Nesbitt

Bryce Nesbitt New Member

My Phone:
    510-558-8770
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Ting
    Having tried a number of such apps, I found the most utility from "Cellmapper". Others tend to give auto-calculated tower positions, where cellmapper gives enough tools to actually find a site you don't already know the location of.