Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Cell Site?

Discussion in 'Cell Tower Hunting Club' started by Der84, Sep 23, 2009.

1. Der84

Der84 EH!

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Blackberry
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Rogers (2007-2011) Bell (2011-present)
    I took a picture of what might be another cell antenna in my home town in Ontario. It's hooked into a part of the mall where a wireless store is located. There is actually a fairly tall apartment building close by that has all three major carriers (Rogers, Telus and Bell) on it, but from where I was taking the picture, you couldn't see it. It's pointing at the Northeastern parking lot of the mall and has a screen around it to focus on a certain spot, with a kind of pointed panel. So I'm wondering if this is just a small site to fill in a gap where the apartment building doesn't hit.

I figure I'd just post this first to find out for sure before putting it in the album.

Any ideas??

Attached Files:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    Its an antenna, but I don't think its cellular, at least not a tower site. Maybe the mobile store has a repeater installed?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    1 person likes this.
  3. spleck

spleck Tool

My Phone:
    iPhone 5 VZW
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Is the antenna aimed at the apartment building with the carrier sites, and is the wireless store a corporate store for one of the carriers?

It could be an external antenna for a data card to handle the stores internet/data traffic, or like Jay said, a repeater to give good signal in-store.

It could also be some other frequency mobile radio antenna, but it looks like its directional, and fairly narrow at that--which suggest a point to point link.

1 person likes this.
  4. Der84

Der84 EH!

My Phone:
    Blackberry
    Wireless Provider(s):

No, the antenna is not pointing in the direction of the apartment building. It's pointing more Northeast, whereas the building is more Northwest of it.. The store is called Wireless Wave, so no it's not a corporate store for one of the carriers.

Now that I see these options, I'm leaning more towards either a repeater like Jay said, or like you said, an antenna for a data card.

5. RadioRaiders

RadioRaiders RF Black-Belt

Wireless Provider(s):
    GSM / WCDMA /LTE
    Interesting. I agree with spelck that the upper, curved antenna looks like a point-to-point link. The lower flat-panel could be anything. However, the installation doesn't look fully professional, the way the upper antenna mast is clamped on to the lower one. I doubt a professional installer wouldn't do something like that. So I don't think this is something put in by a cellular carrier, but maybe something more "home-made" by the wireless store.

1 person likes this.
  6. spleck

spleck Tool

My Phone:
    iPhone 5 VZW
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    It's possible this might not even be active anymore. If its an independent wireless store, they may have needed a repeater to get a signal in the mall--it might be aimed at what was the closest cell site at some time past. It's hard to sell cells with no signal.

7. Der84

Der84 EH!

My Phone:
    Blackberry
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Yeah, I think it is still active, but I'm not sure. I couldn't even tell you how long it's been up.
    The store is called Wireless Wave, it's a Canadian franchise with stores located in B.C. Alberta, Manitoba and Ontario. I've never looked to see if they have any antennas like this at any of their other locations. I might have to keep an eye out.
    There is a Bell Mobility tower in the direction that it's pointing, but I wouldn't think it's close enough.

Good thing I didn't post the pic in the cell site gallery then.

8. it looks like an antenna to catch signals, and one which is a sector that broadcasts signals. could be part of a repeater network or in-building coverage.

#8 Deleted member 154659, Oct 12, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2009
  9. Der84

Der84 EH!

My Phone:
    Blackberry
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alright, well that pretty much sums it up then. I really didn't think it was a cell site, but, I didn't want to be second guessing myself and thinking it was.

10. TelcomJunkie

TelcomJunkie Bad Handoff Investigator

Wireless Provider(s):
    Big Brother
    Wow, certainly a hokey install. I'm definitely leaning towards the repeater idea, but that lower panel is throwing me.

11. Der84

Der84 EH!

My Phone:
    Blackberry
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Yeah, it is a different installation.
    Today, I thought I saw a panel that looked quite similar to the lower panel in the pic. It was peaking out the back of a Rogers Wireless store.