Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

SOUTH U.S. -- Cell Signal Repeaters

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by djriss, May 31, 2012.

1. djriss

djriss New Member

I live in a "dead zone" in a rural area. There are cell towers in my area, but I live in a "hollow" and can't get a signal consistently in my house, or even my yard.

I've been studying cell phone repeaters, and the advice has been to not get a repeater unless you get a reliable signal somewhere on the outside of the building in which you want to install the repeater system.

I'm posting to ask if anyone else has had the same issue: a VERY weak cell signal, but within 2 or 3 hundred yards (especially up hill) a signal can be found.

Is it worth the expense and hassle to purchase a system and install it?

The ads say that the system can be returned within 30 days, but I don't want to undergo the hassle if the likelihood of success is too low.

Maybe there's a way to configure my phone to see if there's a signal other than looking for bars.

Anyone have any advice?

#1 djriss, May 31, 2012
    Last edited: May 31, 2012
  2. Maximum Signal

Maximum Signal Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon , Sprint , Millenicom
    An amplifier cannot make a signal out of nothing , Your only solution is to get the outdoor antenna high enough to receive the signal which it can then send to the amplifier and it goes to the indoor antenna . No amplifier can overcome a line of sight or terrain issue.. Your only the other solution would be a femtocell . These connect to your DSL Line If you have one and must be issued by your carrier. Only the major carriers even offer them.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    1 person likes this.
  3. djriss

djriss New Member

Thanks for your reply, Maximum Signal.

I've tried to find a signal by putting a step ladder on my roof and holding my phone as high as I can reach, but still didn't get bars.

Do you know of some device I can put on a pole to lift even higher?

Unfortunately, my land line phone is the 2nd to last on a long rural run (Verizon, same co. as my cellphone), so it doesn't get DSL. We also don't get cable TV/internet out here.

I've looked into satelite internet, which some have said can be used to attach a cell booster, but it's very expensive and slower than cell service, so I want to rule out a signal booster/repeater before resorting to the more expensive, slower satelite option.

Thanks again!

#3 djriss, Jun 1, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
  4. Maximum Signal

Maximum Signal Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon , Sprint , Millenicom
    See if you can pick up an old Television antenna tower cheap . Someone that has switched from over the air signal to say cable might be willing to part with one.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    1 person likes this.
  5. djriss

djriss New Member

That's a great idea.

I hadn't thought of this, but I'll see what's available.

I thought of getting on my roof, then putting my cell phone on a long pole and then calling from my land line to see if it rings. Can't see the bars if the cell's up in the air 20 feet!

Thanks for the idea!

6. mikeinkaty

mikeinkaty New Member

Maybe a big helium balloon on a still day would get it up!! Stop at different evevations and call the cell phone.