Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Cell service Los Angeles - time to switch.. again?

Discussion in 'Western US Wireless Forum' started by edamon, Dec 4, 2001.

1. edamon

edamon Junior Member

In the past 7 or so years (maybe longer, all blends) I've had LA Cellular then Sprint and now ATT.

LA cellular was back in the day of $30/mo for 30 minutes. It didn't get used much.

Sprint PCS was when they first started - $50/500 minutes. The coverage sucked tho, I dumped it in early 2000, like march.

ATT - march 2000 present - service has been decent, but getting worse lately. Dropped calls, signal strength in areas it was decent before is dropped to 1 bar and sometimes no service.

Now, I'd also like to be able to plug my cell phone into my laptop and dial out through it to my ISP when I'm on the road (I know sprint offers this, doesn't seem ATT does). So I'm thinking of switching to sprint.. I've also heard they've gotten much better coverage in california in recent time.

So the 50 cent question of the day.. am I going to regret this? Last thing I need is to go from not so good to worse... I use about 600-700 minutes a month on average, so the phone working is important :)

Only places I travel with it are San Jose/San Fran and Las Vegas - sometimes on the roads to both, so the 5 and the 15.

thoughts?

-d

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Of course there are exceptions to every general rule, but there is no reason why you won't be happy with Sprint PCS. I talked the entire way from Victorville to Vegas on I-15 on Sprint with no problem (several calls). I've been on parts of I-5, and I never had less than full scale on all the freeways in LA.

Off the freeways I hit a few bad spots, N. of Sunset and out near the Ventura line on PCH, but then there are surprises like perfect coverage along roads through the Santa Monica Mtns, covered by mini-cells. Try to borrow a Sprint phone to see if it works in your house, first.

-Bill Radio
    -www.mountainwireless.com

3. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Sprint has invested more money into the Los Angeles area than anywhere else. 400 new sites added, (or soon to be added), in the greater LA area since 1/1/2000. I have spent lots of time driving around and testing it here and believe me there are very few weak spots left. One exception is Northern San Diego county from about Camp Pendleton up to the outskirts of San Clemente. But they do have zoning approval by the CA Costal commission on 3 new sites along this stretch which should be built in the next 3 months. Bill was also right about a stretch of PCH near Ventura county not having coverage but this is not really a big deal for most.

If you want tell me what area you are from, I will check to see if Sprint has added or will be adding any new sites since the last time you used the service.

Larry

4. edamon

edamon Junior Member

I use it mainly in the following areas:

Marina del Rey
    Santa Monica
    South Bay (hermosa/redondo)
    west LA
    PCH (santa monica, north to malibu).

I'd appreciate it if you could tell me what the coverage looks like for these areas.

thanks,
    d

5. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Recent sites in your area:

Santa Monica:

1502 Montana Avenue (activated 10/2001)
    2001 Wilshire Blvd. (activated 10/2001)
    1220 Olympic Blvd. (activated 6/2000)
    850 Palisades Beach Road. (coming soon)
    2632 Lincoln Blvd. (application denied)

Malibu:

29169 Heathercliff Road (activated 11/2000)
    22761 PCH (activated 11/2000)
    3808 Cross Creek Road: (coming soon)
    3821 Carbon Canyon Road (coming soon)

West LA/Westwood/Brentwood:

1401 Westwood Blvd. (activated 6/2001)
    500 S. Sepulveda Blvd. (coming soon)
    2990 S. Sepulveda Blvd. (activated 11/2001)
    11960 W. Sunset Blvd. (coming soon)
    301 Lincoln Blvd. (coming soon)

Redondo Beach:

between Rockefeller LN & Artesia Blvd. (activated 6/2000)

6. sealmiranda

sealmiranda New Member

hi larry i live in san diego can you tell me if sprint has added new sites thnk you

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Larry, I visited Sprint's website and found that the coverage map wasn't quite detailed enough for what I was trying to find out. Do you know what sort of sites Sprint's network has in the San Pedro area, and/or what future sites Sprint has planned for San Pedro?

Thanks for all the help you give folks in this forum--your information is most appreciated.

8. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I will see what I can find on San Diego soon and post it.

As for San Pedro, Sprint just added a new site about 3 months ago to enhance coverage in the areas of Morse St., Western Ave, Constellation Way and Highway 213. In Long Beach a new site on the roof of the convention center was activated 10/12/01. Other than that I'm not too familar with the San Pedro area.

9. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    New sites for San Diego county:

Del Mar: parking lot of Del Mar fairgrounds (approved 10/8/01)

Camp Pendleton: east side of Interstate 5, railroad facility (approved 8/6/01)

San Onofre Commissary building, in Camp Pendleton Marine Base. (approved 9/11/01)

Sweetwater community: 5821 Sweetwater Road. (approved 2/9/01)

Rainbow community: 4230 White Lilac Road, east of old Hwy 395. (approved 5/29/01)

Bonsall community: 29507 Hoxie Ranch Road. (approved 4/17/01)

Lakeside Community: 11070 Moreno Dr. (approved 3/6/01)

Fallbrook community: 41950 Via Del Gavilan (approved 8/21/010

Oceanside: 4000 block of Avenida de la Plata (approved 8/29/01)

El Cajon: 346 Front St. (activated 10/25/01)

San Diego: 1424 30th Street (activated 8/27/01)

San Diego: 17534 Highway 67 (activated 6/6/01)

Ramona: 538 Maple Street (activated 5/30/01)

Oceanside: Buddy Todd Memorial Park (activated 6/18/01)