Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Cell service around Hot Springs, North Carolina

Discussion in 'Southern US Wireless Forum' started by jameswadewilson, Jun 28, 2006.

1. jameswadewilson

jameswadewilson New Member

Our place is just North of Hot Springs, in Madison County in Western North Carolina.

There is currently no service in this area, but there is supposed to be a new site at the Rich Mountain fire tower.

Does anyone have any news about this?

I hear that this is supposed to ba a US Cellular site, but I'd rather keep my Verizon account - I can do (slow) Internet access with that and US Cellular doesn't offer Internet access over their phones.

Is there any kind of roaming agreement between US Cellular and Verizon?

If there is a roaming agreement would I be able to get the National Access Internet access via this US Cellular site?

Thanks for any information!

2. roamer1

roamer1 In Memoriam

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Palm Treo 680
    Wireless Provider(s):
    lots of orange, a little Little Rock blue
    VZW roams on USCC in WNC. IIRC, VZW now generally supports 1X data for PDA/data card customers when on USCC.

-SC

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. jameswadewilson

That's GREAT news! Thanks!

By supporting PDA/Data card I assume that tethering a laptop to a cell phone would work the same as if you were using a Verizon site?

It's hard to believe that Verizon can do data when roaming on a US Cellular site, but US Cellular customers cannot do data (except for business accounts).

Does anyone have any news on the progress of this site? Last I heard from US Cellular reps is that this is supposed to be running in July...

4. jameswadewilson

The latest that I heard from US Cellular distributors is that this cell site will be online by the end of July. Of course US Cellular will not tell you about this...

Verizon, of course will not tell me anything about roaming on the site, they say that they cannot comment until after the site is functional...

5. stockscalper

stockscalper Junior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S Blaze 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Unfortunately, T-Horrible
    If you are in Madison County you will likely have to access a US Cellular tower because there is not much else there. I wouldn't change providers because when you leave the county US Cellular's coverage is spotty and undependable. In nearby Buncombe County Verizon and Cingular are everywhere, plus the other national carriers have service.

6. jameswadewilson

That's good information, I'm hoping that Verizon will be able to use this US Cellular site quickly...