Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Cell Phone Swimming

Discussion in 'PRE-PAID Cell Phone Companies and Plans' started by Creek, Jul 5, 2006.

1. Creek

Creek New Member

I am a Suncom ("SunDrop") subscriber - During the 4th, I got chased into the lake by some yellow jackets. For the first time in my 10 year cell phone history I have destroyed a phone. My phone went swimming with me. After drying it out I confirmed it was destroyed.

After this I went and pulled out an old Cingular phone I had from my previous service. I plugged in my SIM card. Upon seeing it was rejected I went online and downloaded an unlock code for the phone. Like magic I am up. Now where I am used to seeing Suncom & Cingular, I now see Suncom & USA 41.

My question(s) -

- Is "USA 41" , Cingular ?

- I am on Suncom's Unlimited Plan which I don't abuse at all. Cingular & Suncom have a tower service agreement so there should not be a problem there ?

- Lastly the reason I am posting my questions here without calling Suncom first, is if there is no problem I don't want to create one. The phone I took swimming was locked. When I have been in locations with that phone and the Suncom signal was weak and not strong enough to talk, the phone would always snap me back to Suncom instead of allowing me to access the Cingular network. With this new/old phone that is unlocked, I am able to override the snap-back principal. That way I can control what service I am using. So I would rather not call them and have them mess-up a good situation.

Any thoughts?

2. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    USA 41 is Cingular's 310-410 "Orange" network.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. walkguru

walkguru Wireless Guru

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iphone 3gs 32black
    Wireless Provider(s):
    cingular,family plan w/4 lines
    sounds like a good thing, as long as they dont charge you roaming.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. COtech

COtech Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sam. Galaxy SII Skyrocket
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Mobility
    You might see "USA-38". This is your native network, with an interesting history. This was Cingular Blue, the former ATT Wireless network. See also this page for details in your area from Roamer1.

You won't see "USA-49". This is Suncom's network number. You'll see see it in the the Virginia listing. Cingular traded the North Carolina ATTWS network for Suncom's Virginia network (deal included cash and Puerto Rico).

COtech

5. Creek

Creek New Member

This is good information. Thanks!

My wife has the identical phone to the one I took for a swim. I just looked-up the priority order of tower selection on it.

Priority Home: 310-490 ("SunDrop")

Priority 1: 310-380 (AT&T)

Priority 2: 310-150 (Cingular)

Priority 3: 310-410 (Cingular)

Priority 4 Cingular, Priority 5 thru 17 - T-Mobile

The Suncom portion of our local tower was knocked out last night by a bad storm. My wife's phone has rolled to Cingular's 310-410 which matches up with the USA-410. So for the moment it looks like I might be safe. I have about 10 days left on this billing cycle. I will keep an eye out to see if I have created any problems and post back.

As for Cingular vs. Suncom. I was a Cingular customer for 6 years before changing to Suncom. I never had any problems with Cingular, I just wanted to reduce my phone bill. I cut my bill by more than in half by going with Suncom. I have had no problems with Suncom on billing as I have read about here on this site. I have been with Suncom for 18 months. The only problems I have now are: Cingular always has a better signal than Suncom. Suncom drops calls a lot more than I ever did with Cingular. And that problem I mentioned earlier about the system snapping-back to Suncom from Cingular when the Suncom signal is not strong enough to make a call. That has really cost me some time and frustration. If Cingular offered an unlimited plan like Suncom's for a little bit more I would pay the ETF and come back tomorrow. I can recommend Cingular without a doubt. As for recommending Suncom they would hear hesitation in my voice.