Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Cell Phone Jammers

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by daniel 711, Jul 13, 2006.

1. daniel 711

daniel 711 New Member

Has anyone had an experience being jammed, and known about it? I don't mean indoors, in a theator, or church, but in some public place where you normally get coverage. I've heard mixed reports on this. I've heard that the small handheld jammers that you can by online are not effective, unless indoors at very close range. But they're starting to come out with pretty powerful ones, and sometimes I just lose my signal in an area where I'm positive there's coverage. What gives here? Anyone?

2. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    Jammers are illegal in the US. The FCC prohibits interference with controlled frequencies.

-Jay

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. daniel 711

daniel 711 New Member

Of course they are!! But do you think that stops people from using them? Just do a web search and see what's available...!!

4. rwsrichard

rwsrichard Guest

As Jay2The Rescue says, they are illegal, but some church's and other places advertise that they jam your signals.

Hospitals are trying to get it incorporated, because some phones interfere with some of the life-saving equipment they use - or so they say.

5. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    Yes, phones do interfere with heart monitors, but so will the jammers, and the phones will add more to the problem when they kick into high power to try and find the network.

-Jay

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. rwsrichard

rwsrichard Guest

the hospitals must really be serious about the phone in hospital thing. when my brother was in the hospital from heart problems, at the main entrance there was a BIG sign that strictly forbid cell phones being 'on' passed the sign and security actually walked around and if they saw you with a cell phone asked you to turn it off and leave it off until you leave the hospital.

7. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    In my experience there are only 2 departments that allow cell phone use, and they are usually on the top floor away from any other critical patients. The maternity ward, and some hospitals also have a ward for terminal patients that cell phones are allowed in.

-Jay

8. rwsrichard

rwsrichard Guest

The waiting rooms in this hospital allowed cell phones to be used, but once you leave the waiting room they were supposed to be turned off.

9. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    I worked for a Major healthcare company and they came out with a policy stating cell phones didnt have any effect until you were about 5 feet within the equipment.

10. rwsrichard

rwsrichard Guest

On the older phones, I guess I can see the problem, but are the newer phones better or worse for the equipment?

11. fb

fb Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry Pearl 8100
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Wireless/Cingular Blue
    In my hospital Cingular has installed microcells, with many physicians and support staff using them. I believe that unless you are very close to the equipment, it is not a problem, especially when the phone power will be low since signal will be pretty good inside.

12. rwsrichard

rwsrichard Guest

Enrich my knowledge. What is a microcell and what does it do?

13. wirles

wirles I'm baaaaaaaaaack

My Phone:
    iPhone 4S
    Wireless Provider(s):
    All of the above
    Perfect example of real policy at work. When freq. and channel power is controlled and known it is fine. It is the unmanaged use of RF (cel phone or otherwise) that can cause issues in a hospital...and on a plane.

I have used jammers (for testing purposes). You can have a device the size of a small PDA that can provide enough juice in random freq. hopping fashion to jam an entire movie theater.

As stated, it is illegal to interfere with spectrum in the US.

14. rwsrichard

rwsrichard Guest

Thanks. I think I will stay with my ideals. :)

Be respectful in regards of where you are when you are using your phone.

Just plain common courtesy, I guess is what I am trying to say.

15. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    A micro cell is a small short-range "cell site". If there are many installed in a building then the phone's output will be low because it will have no problems communicating with the "towers" it sees. These can be small little antennas installed in the ceiling. Most often they are disguised to look like smoke detectors.

-Jay

16. walkguru

walkguru Wireless Guru

My Phone:
    iphone 3gs 32black
    Wireless Provider(s):
    cingular,family plan w/4 lines
    the vamc in okc used to have those signs all over the place. but now there gone and everone uses thier cell openly.:loony:

17. rwsrichard

rwsrichard Guest

Still got the signs at this one. At least they did two months ago.