Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Cell phone dilemma

Discussion in 'Western US Wireless Forum' started by Guest, Jan 19, 2002.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

I want to know how to find the cheapest cell phone service for two users with existing Nokia phones. We have had Voicestream service - one on a plan and one pre-paid. It is a given that we have to buy new phones or stay with Voicestream?

2. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    You didn't indicate where you live so it not possible to know who the other carriers are in your area.

If I understand your question correctly, the following might be of some help: Moving current phones.

3. Jackstar

Jackstar Junior Member

If you live in an area covered by Qwest Wireless, they may have the best deal, but coverage is limited to the metro area of coverage. If you also have Qwest for your home service, you can get a shared minute plan with unlimited calling cell to cell, cell to home and home to cell, for 59.99. As far as I know, Qwest is the only carrier which has "family" plans which include calls between the cell phones and home phone.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Thanks for the info. Especially the "moving current phones" piece. In answer to the other response, we live in the Seattle area and according to another website I checked, there are 6 or 7 wireless providers in our area, but Qwest wasn't mentioned. Someone at my work mentioned something about a lawsuit, maybe they're operating under another name? I don't know, but the deal you're talking about sounds good. We're at a jumping off place as our Voicestream contract on one phone expires next month and the other phone pre-paid through Voicestream. I guess next time I buy cellular service I'll know more about what questions to ask. It's confusing for a newcomer. I remember getting offer after offer from AAA just for a phone and I never bought because I wanted service too and they weren't offering that - just a phone. Where would I be now with just some phone? Who would I hook it up with? Doesn't doesn't like much of a deal to me. Thanks for the enlightenment. I'm reading a lot of the discussions. Very interesting.

Thanks -
    Ted

5. Kenny

Kenny Senior Member

Ok how about some info as to why you want to jump from Voicestream? Do you just want to shop for cheaper rate plans? Voicestream service doesn't live up to your expectations? I'm sure you don't want just the "cheapest" service available as you may be disappointed with the quality of service and coverage.

According to www.epinions.com, Verizon had the best ratings for Seattle. Verizon does have some fairly inexpensive plans such as the $25/mo (I believe) Local plan which also includes a bundled Night & Weekend package plus Long distance. Verizon also has Family package whereby you can get 2 lines starting at $55/mo, which not only includes a nice Night & Weekend package but you also get an additional bundled minutes for mobile to mobile calls between the 2 phones.

I also believe Verizon offers some pretty cheap deals on some plain phones they've got out there. I believe they even have an inexpensive Ericsson phone for $30 but ends up being free after the mail-in Rebate.

6. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    I agree with Kenny. Verizon is excellent service. ATT Wireless' corporate offices are in Seattle and I know they are busy building out their system there.

I have relatives in Snohomish (whom I'm going to visit next month) and they recounted an unfortunate situation up that way that I just want to bring up again so that buyers in the area know their options:

Verizon was required by the FCC to divest itself of one or more markets up in Washington. Cingular was to take up the old clientele but it would require that all the subscribers get different phones. To those that had cheap phones, they didn't lose much. But to those that had expensive phones, they were, needless to say, very angry. (This may be the "lawsuit" the poster spoke of. Its too bad, it really wasn't Verizon's doing.)

That is the history. Now as to what you subscribers should know: They <u>do not have to</u> go with Cingular. They can choose to subscribe with Verizon. Verizon may not be able to market nor even sell in your area, but there are always ways around things. If you find yourself up against a brick wall with this and Verizon absolutely refuses to service you, I would sooner consider ATT than I would Cingular.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Just wanted to give an update on my cell phone dilemma. I was only considering leaving Voicestream to find a less expensive plan. I have to say the service with Voicestream has been excellent. We have great reception and once we upgraded our phones they have worked just fine. The customer service is wonderful, talking to a real person is not a chore and they are helpful and unhurried. In fact, last evening when I called them I probably talked to "Billy" for a half hour or more. Really - I am not a Voicestream employee! Anyway, I found out that because we have had service with Voicestream for over 10 months, we are eligible for some better rate plans. My husband's contract on his phone expires next month and when Billy went over his actual usage of the plan he's on he found that it is quite underutilized. He suggested a plan that will cost $30/month. He does not have to go on another contract but will be on a month-to-month basis. I had gone and bought more pre-paid minutes yesterday so I wouldn't lose the minutes I had left-over from the previous card, but I will now use them up before the beginning of our next billing cycle and will put my phone on the $20/month plan. It will give me more minutes/month than the pre-paid does and won't expire every month! Voicestream does allow conversion from pre to post-paid. I will keep my phone, phone number and won't have to pay an activation fee! I will be on a one-year contract which is okay since we would probably want this minimal plan at least. So this is better than any other deal I saw with any company and we have been satisfied with the service. Oh, and I found out that Voicestream has Nationwide long distance so I can now call my mother in Colorado whereas before we only called long-distance regionally. Billy told me we've have that since July when we changed out of the shared minutes plan, but I either didn't understand what they were telling me or they didn't. He said that it is true that when we went to New Mexico for Christmas of 2000 we did not have it and that is why we didn't even take our phones with us. Is there anything else I should ask or know given all this? I appreciate your responses. You asked some good questions and I found that the answers to all my questions are available. I will pass on word of this discussion forum to others. It is most helpful. Thanks again.

8. erub

erub Junior Member

You are aware that on your $20 plan, your minutes don't rollover between month to month like they do on prepaid. At least not on any current plans that I know of. But you won't have to worry about it expiring. Glad to hear that your happy though.

9. Jackstar

Jackstar Junior Member

Make sure that you request as much info on your price plan, (coverage area and roaming) as possible. Go to the website and request coverage maps from customer service. Understand that free long distance means you can call FROM your home coverage area to anywhere in the country. Free roaming means (for Voicestream) that you can call from anywhere that has GSM coverage, to anywhere in the country. If there is no GSM signal available (be careful in New Mexico), then you either will not be able to use the phone, or will have to pay extra roaming fees. My guess is that on a 20.00 plan, you may have free long distance but probably not free roaming. Jackstar

P.S. GSM is the type of network that Voicestream uses.