Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Cell phone companies except T-Mobile will charge extra fees for number portability

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by RobCruz, Nov 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RobCruz

RobCruz Junior Member

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2003-11-26-verizon-port-charge_x.htm

I read on the USA Today that all cell phone companies except T-Mobile will charge extra fees, because of the number portability ruling by FCC. That is not fair!!! Consumers should not pay for that. All this cell phone companies will charge the fees except T-Mobile.

It also says on the article that Verizon Wireless will put on the bills as 'federal mandate recovery fee' which is false at all because the Federal doesn't require fees for number portability.

The FCC doesn't audit these cell phone companies at all, when it comes to charges from consumers.

So If you have Verizon Wireless service and it says 'federal mandate recovery fee on your bill, now you know what is that bill all about.

Read the article. It's just not cool at all.

These make think, that maybe I should go to prepaid instead of subscription because of lame fees cell phone companies charge the consumers. I want to go prepaid but the prepaid phone is not that great. In Asia or Europe, people pay for nice prepaid phones. The prepaid phones in the US suck. If you want to get a nice cell phone, you need sign a contract.

The only nice color prepaid phone I know are Boost Mobile by Nextel and Virgin Mobile by Sprint. Verizon Wireless prepaid phone suck.

Maybe, if all cell phone subscribers in the US go prepaid, the cell phone companies might rethink those crappy fees. I don't have a problem with taxes fees but for Number Portability Fees that will benefit only cell phone companies?

Give me a break!!!!!

2. MrFlashport

MrFlashport Junior Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo RL2000 Sprint PCS
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint PCS, Southern LINC
    Well T-Mobile has to do something to attract subscribers, their coverage is way lacking (at least in Metro Atlanta) compared to the other carriers (but not as bad as AT&T TDMA or worse yet Metro PCS).

I like their plans (especially the three day weekends, number of package minutes, large selection of handsets) but their coverage sucks horribly compared to Verizon around here. Too bad because if they had service like Verizon does here, I would gladly give them my business.

3. A999

A999 Junior Member

"Federal Mandate" is referring to the fact that the federal government mandated WLNP, WNP (Wireless Number Pooling), and E911 (Enhanced 911) costing billions across the industry collectively. The FCC allowed the companies to charge these fees. The fees are necessary because a company cannot raise actual rates without having to allow users out of contracts without an ETF. With most contracts, a new or increased fee allowed by the FCC is NOT grounds for ending a contract without paying the ETF.

There's a price to pay for any thing! Any big government regulation, even ones most people like, cost companies -- and YOU -- money.

4. celltecx

celltecx New Member

Careful how you post rob,

Not ALL cellular companies are charging for it. It said all national except T Mobile.

US Cellular is not adding an additional charge to customer or atleast nothing that I know of yet. All though we are not "National", we are definatly right up there with the big boys imo.

Just wanted to make that clear so no one misunderstand this.

5. Delta

Delta Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Casio G'zOne
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    These posts about these port fees get funnier with each one I read.

One thread was titled "Verizon finds new way to screw its customers". Oooh! Verizon please quit screwing me with your unbeatable coverage and service! Everyone is up in arms about this Verizon fee. A whopping Forty Cents. Now what? I can't pay my rent now that Verizon took that 40 cents from me...you b@stards!

And thinking of going pre-paid in retaliation of a 40 cent fee?? What..are you insane? You are telling me you would rather get 250-some TOTAL minutes for $40 than 400 Daytime, 1000 Mobile-to-Mobile, UNLIMITED Nights and Weekends, with FREE Long distance? Oh..I'm sorry..I mean Forty Dollars and forty cents.
    Please explain...because the math is not adding up to me.

It's like this people...Everyone is going to charge somethin for this. Some may not now..but if they get hit hard enough they will. And you would to if Uncle Sam told you to go to the bank and withdraw a BILLION dollars to pay for something...whether you like it or not.

And as I posted in the other thread...if my 40 cents means Verizon will continue to have the service and coverage they give me now... then by all means take it! As a matter of fact, here's 80 cents. At least I know that money is being well spent...What other company spends a billion dollars a quarter on building up their network??

And if everyone in the USA went to prepaid, I'd move to Europe because I dont want to be living in a nation of idiots.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator Junior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 13 Pro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, AT&T Prepaid
    T-Mobile will charge, they might just not do it openly. Maybe they raise their activation fees by $1 some time down the road or cut back on their minutes, etc.

7. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    That's OK, in theory. Until any of that happens, it's just a guess. I'm just glad that so far they have not joined the ranks of retail and other industry that charge/advertise one price, and then have one or more additional line items that drive up the cost of the bill (for example, a local mexican restaurant near me that charges $.50 each for sour cream or guacamole, or hotels that charge $1 per day for the safe in the room even if you don't use it, or the restaurant that charges you a quarter for a cup of ice water., etc.) It's not the actual cost per se, it's the idea.

Just my .02 [​IMG]

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Delta

Delta Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Casio G'zOne
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    I use my .02 to pay for the unexpected text message.

9. alexmcdowell52

alexmcdowell52 New Member

Reply: FIRST OF ALL AMERICAN must know: THOSE FEES ARE ACTUALLY ILLIGAL AND THE COMPANIES CAN BE TAKEN IN COURT FOR THAT !!!!!! in 2010 they made 4.8 $ billion dollars in fees only - american consumer is a RIPOFF - ILLIGAL and you are paying for it - TOO BAD that we, All of us - Americans -we're too nice and NAIVE to pay always and NEVER COMPLAIN - SO WE MUST SUFFER

I joined T-mobile 3 months agoo and they charged me with activation fee of 35$ PLUS OTHER FEES ON THE WAY ??!!! Really? ATT and Verison do have OUTRAGEOUS FEES TOO, especially ATT / WAKE UP America /
    I want to become your customer and you charge me fees?

YOU - T-MOBILE - YES YOU ARE CHARGING WEIRDO-OUTRAGEOUS FEES- stop lying - i just experienced that 3 months agoo you liars -- " You are not aware of it ?? Now You are !!! / and ATT - especially / and Verison too /

ANSWER : STOP LYING !!!!! It's not the government - IT'S YOUR COMPANY making 4.8 BILLION $ in 2010 FROM FEES only

#9 alexmcdowell52, May 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2011
  10. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 28 Years Plus
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 13 Pro Max, XS Max
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    Re: Cell phone companies except T-Mobile will charge extra fees for number portabilit

This is an 8 year old thread that is now CLOSED.

2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.