Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Cell phone as modem

Discussion in 'Alltel Forum' started by redorgreen, May 13, 2009.

1. redorgreen

redorgreen New Member

I have an HTC Touch Pro. I have the smart phone package which includes unlimited web service. Is there any way to tether this phone to my laptop to use as a modem? My unlimited mins start at 7, so I would just wait until then to use it... I have DEL at my house, but am away from there and need to get online with a screen bigger than a credit card. I am not really interested in signing up for the service add-on, as I will only be using it a few times. Thanks!

2. redorgreen

redorgreen New Member

that should read DSL. Dang 'smart' phone.

3. MrObvious

MrObvious Senior Member

I use my Diamond for that a few times and I never have heard a complaint from Alltel. Just don't use it a lot like you are planning now.

4. redorgreen

redorgreen New Member

How do I set it up? I am using Windows Vista on my laptop, so I don't think there is software on the alltel site for the setup. I did at one time have an LG that I tethered (had the add-on to my plan) and it was kind of a pain to set up the phone and the computer. Can you tell me how you did it. Thanks!

5. MrObvious

MrObvious Senior Member

Start->Programs->Internet Sharing.

6. redorgreen

redorgreen New Member

Does it use up minutes? I will of course be using it so seldom that I can just wait until my 'unlimited' minutes at 7pm... I have the smart phone plan, which includes unlimited web, e-mail and texting... I just don't want to be hit with some huge bill because for some reason when I tether the phone to my computer it is different...
    And I set it up as a dial-up account using the #and three digit code. I remembered my user name and password from when I was using my LG for the same purpose (and paying for that feature as I didn't have DSL at my house at that time).

Thanks for your input. Look forward to you answers!

7. bikebryan

bikebryan Senior Member

Yes it burns minutes unless you add smartphone tethering the the line ($30/month). If you use it occasionally it will likely be overlooked if you use it during n/w, but if you do it much it will be noticed and eventually it can be billed. So use it sparingly if you don't plan on adding tethering.

8. MrObvious

MrObvious Senior Member

I think he has Smart Choice Bryan so it won't run down minutes for using data. I've checked personally myself on my bill.

9. bikebryan

bikebryan Senior Member

That doesn't matter. The system knows the difference between the "phone" sending/receiving the data and the phone "as a modem" sending/receiving data, smartpack plan or not. Otherwise there would be no need for a smartphone tethering feature. It also does use minutes when tethered, depening on time of day, if the tethering feature is not on the line. I know this for a fact as I see it on bills all the time.

10. mdakis

mdakis New Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    By now you have made a decision about tethering your phone so my input won't benefit you. However, I want to reply to your post to "share" my experience. I am hoping that it mght prevent others from making an uneducated decision.

Background: I discontinued my LAN line and DSL to purchased the HTC Pro. Since I am in the country and dial up is very, very slow, I purchased the Alltel plan where I would use my phone as a modem. After a long time trying to set it up (there was a problem with the phone), I got working. Much to my dismay, the speed was the same that I experienced with dial up. I was very disssatisfied. The resolution was to purchase the wireless internet card. The speed was comparable to DSL. Instead of the $30 per month (using the modem), it now costs me $59.99 a month.......but the speed is worth it! :)

11. bandit390

bandit390 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry Storm
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    The only need for the tethering feature is to abide by alltels policy. Any feature that gives unlimited data, gives unlimited data, period. You could technically use the 9.99 connect 1 for data on a smartphone and tethering.

To prove it, tethering with your "smartphone data feature" or whatever else you have. Then look at your usage or bill. KB will increase and you will never see any minutes used with "data ev1x 000-000-0000"