Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

CDMA Nokia Unlocking Question

Discussion in 'NOKIA' started by MOTOhooligan, Nov 11, 2005.

1. MOTOhooligan

MOTOhooligan Former Mobile Data Addict

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    All the info I can find on free (or not free, for that matter) Nokia unlocking is for GSM handsets only.:mad: I found one CDMA Nokia unlocking site but it seemed shady. Anyone know a reliable website where one can get a Nokia 6255i unlocked for free or between $20-$30? I'm going to look over at HoFo, too but I thought someone here may have had one unlocked in the past and could save me hours of reading. Thanks.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    with $31 Billion in sales, you need something for free? :) j/k

The term 'unlocking' is reserved for GSM SIM card technology. I'm not sure what you mean.

According to the Nokia manual on this phone:

UIM (CDMA SIM) card slot
    Your phone has a UIM card slot built into
    the mechanics. However, the UIM is not functional in this phone model. Avoid
    placing anything into the UIM card slot.

3. MOTOhooligan

My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    The Nokia 6255i is "locked" to a certain provider and you need an SPC (service programming code) to "unlock" it so you can reprogram NAM1 to work with another MDN/MIN combination and another home SID. If the "Global" in GSM were more true, this wouldn't even be an issue. Stupid CDMA!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    This is what I figured you meant. Maybe try googling with different keywords, besides 'unlock'. I think that will point you to Sim unlocking. The right keyword makes a big difference in search engines.

5. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Sorry I am not sure what you mean either

6. steveu452

steveu452 New Member

I was under the impression (someone correct me if I'm off-base here) that CDMA phones are "locked" to the carrier by the fact that the carrier has the ESN (electronic serial nimber) of the phone in their database.

Unlike GSM phones, where the locking is done in the phone's firmware, I think you can only have the carrier release a CDMA phone for use with another carrier.

7. MOTOhooligan

My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    CDMA handsets are locked with what is called the Service Programming Code or SPC. Normally, only the provider who has locked the phone has access to this information but I have heard there are ways to get the SPC online but I have yet to find a site capable of getting the SPC or unlocking a CDMA Nokia.

8. Gideon H

Gideon H Quase Três Anos Com WA!

My Phone:
    Motorola E398
    Wireless Provider(s):
    TIM Brasil
    Are you trying to bring a phone over to Alltel?

9. MOTOhooligan

My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Basically, yes. I'm trying to help someone bring a phone over to Alltel. The 6255i is a cool phone but you know me, if I was going to spend $300 on a phone and accessories, it would have an M in a circle on it.:D They got it "unlocked" from eBay but it wasn't unlocked and they couldn't send it back for some reason.

10. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Well I see where you are going with this now if there is a way I want to know as well.

11. instarob

instarob New Member

In august I was in the states with one of my two 6225 CDMA phones which are "locked" to my providers in South America.

On this particular phone I can access the programming mode and set all the parameters for the second NAM. The other 6225 is completely locked so I didn't bring it with me.

Well, I located one of this websites who sells prepaid phones and cards, filled their form with my phone data and waited. They tried unsuccesfully day after day for one week to activate my phone. I followed all the steps they instructed me, later it was a 3 way conference with the seller, the provider and me, and nothing could be done. At the end they could not figure why and refunded the activation fee plus the prepaid card. Fortunately I also had my old TDMA phone which was activated in seconds and saved my communication requirements

To ilustrate you better in my country there are two big CDMA providers which got 85% of the market (the remaining 15% is served by a couple of GSM providers): One who upgraded from analog to CDMA and the other who started on analog, then to TDMA and now they are set on CDMA. So to avoid any migration from one to the other last year they simply locked their phones. Both of them carry the same Nokia models but one use units assembled in Brazil and the other assembled in Korea. All the phones ESN's are on the database of the provider who sold them so even if I got the SPC to "unlock" and access the phone parameters there is no way I can activate it on the other provider.

#11 instarob, Dec 6, 2005
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2005
  12. gfphone

gfphone New Member

Hey does anyone knows how to unlock a nokia 2270 so I can use GSM on it ???????????

please replay for any suggestions on my question

Thank you

13. steveu452

steveu452 New Member

The 2270 is a CDMA phone. It is a completely different technology than GSM, and can not be made to work on a GSM network.

14. seventhstar

seventhstar New Member

I have a CDMA phone and noticed that I can have it unlocked to incorporate the SIM card. I am happy with my current CDMA service however would like to use the SIM card for my contact management. Is this possible?

15. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 28 Years Plus
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 13 Pro Max, XS Max
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    No. CDMA carriers in Canada (Telus and Bell Mobility) do not use SIM cards. Neither do Verizon, Sprint, Alltel, or US Cellular in the U.S.

SIM cards are used by GSM network carriers like Rogers/Fido in Canada, AT&T and T-Mobile in the U.S.

Different network technologies which are incompatible with each other.