Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

CDMA market to shrink

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by jones, Jun 22, 2006.

1. WiggyFife

WiggyFife still knows nothing!!!

My Phone:
    Droid X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    yep... I can hear you now!!! Must be the Network!!!:cool: :loony: :browani:

2. jones

jones Silver Senior Member

CDMA Carrier Moving to GSM in Brazil

http://www.cellular-news.com/story/18924.php
    Anatel: GSM expands to 59.3% market share
    Brazil's telecommunications regulator Anatel said on Thursday that GSM-based mobile services had a 59.3% share of the domestic market at the end of July, a 14.4 percentage point gain over the last 12 months.

CDMA technology, on the other hand, lost 2.6 percentage points over the same period, to 26.3%.

TDMA technology, meanwhile, saw its market share fall to 14.2% from 25.9%. At the end of July, Brazil had 93 million mobile phone users.

Vivo, the only local carrier to use CDMA, lost almost seven percentage points of market share in the 12 months to July, slipping to 30.8% from 37.3%. Vivo is a Brazilian joint venture between Spain's Telefónica and Portugal Telecom.

The company announced in July it would invest US$500mn in migrating to GSM.

TIM Participações, which is controlled by Telecom Italia, boosted its share to 24.6% from 22.24%, while Claro, which is a unit of Mexico's América Móvil advanced to 22.9% from 21.5%

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. bradhs

bradhs New Member

My Phone:
    BlackBerry 8800
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular
    I've got one for everyone!

Can you plus dial on Verizon or Sprint? No.

Living in San Diego, I have clients in Tijuana, Mexico. If I couldn't plus dial, I'd literally have to store client phone numbers in multiple ways. Since Outlook has the ability to support + dialing and so does GSM, UMTS, etc... It makes it super easy to call from wherever I'm at.

Want to setup Outlook to include country code information?

1. Open Outlook
    2. Press CONTROL-SHIFT-D (shortcut to New Call window)
    3. Click Dialing Options
    4. Select option: Automatically add country code to local phone numbers.

Now, if you have a BlackBerry or other GSM device that Syncs up with Outlook, you will get a PLUS in front of all the new #'s you've entered. You can also go into each contact and double-click the phone numbers and correct the information.

It goes like this:
    + country (area code) phone#prefix - phone#number

Example: +1 (619) 555-1212

Anyway, most people could care less, but, if you have to deal with calling people ouside of the US or travel outside of the US and want to make calls without thinking about international access codes, or anything ... Then you will want GSM/UMTS/etc ...

As far as service goes, in San Diego, its not bad at all, I drop here and there, but so does Verizon.

4. strunke

strunke .:|Always Covered|:.

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8230, KRZR K1m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel, T-Mobile, Sprint, Centennial
    That is more a product of the phone's UI/or whatever it's called then CDMA technology, I'm pretty sure. I can make international calls with mine without a problem....it's not a smartphone though.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. jones

jones Silver Senior Member

GSM Ganging Up On Qualcomm?
    Written by
    Katie Fehrenbacher

Qualcomm’s (QCOM) cell phone tax has been clashing with carriers in developing markets recently. The San Diego giant has a patent portfolio that lets it take a percentage of every CDMA handset sold, including patents for 3G.

Over the past few weeks, three carriers with large CDMA networks — China Unicom in China, Reliance in India, and Vivo in Brazil — have been reported to be investing in GSM networks in part to avoid the Qualcomm toll system.

While the carriers and cell phone makers will all upgrade to 3G eventually, delivering Qualcomm their payoffs soon enough, in the short term, possible losses on CDMA in developing markets could be a real concern to the San Diego giant–those carriers are estimated to make up as much as 5% of Qualcomm’s sales for 2006!

Qualcomm’s senior director of corporate communications Jeremy James had a pretty strong statement on the situtation. He said that the companies that are making the most money off of GSM, like Nokia (NOK), and Ericsson (ERICY) are creating “fear, uncertainty, and doubt” over a “false notion” of how Qualcomm’s royalties effect the availability of low-cost handsets.

He also said that GSM network companies like Ericsson are making CDMA carriers in developing markets “very attractive” offers to build and run GSM networks as “a last ditch effort” to try to maintain their traditional GSM shares as long as possible before the 3G future.

There might be some truth to Qualcomm’s complaint, but with a grain of salt. Analysts like Aman Kapoor from Packetology say that Reliance is probably building a GSM network just to better negotiate with Qualcomm over current royalties for CDMA when it expands that network. Since Qualcomm doesn’t disclose its fees beyond a range, it’s hard to tell exactly how much the royalty fee affects the total cost of the handset.

Nokia’s VP of external affairs, Bill Plummer, responded to Qualcomm’s statement by saying “that is certainly one way to look at the evolution of the wireless market. Another way would be to acknowledge that this is a highly competitive market where operators recognize the inherent benefits associated with open, non-proprietary, globally scalable networks like GSM.”

The real truth is that as all the carriers move to 3G, Qualcomm can quadruple its addressable market in the long term. As 3G handsets start to become more popular, Qualcomm is already growing sales and profits — last week the company reported $1.95 billion in revenues, with $643 million in net income for the third quarter, up 44% and 15% respetively.

But when it comes to its relationships with competitors and vendors the company seems to have few friends out there. Jupiter analyst Sharon Armbrust points out some of the data behind the complaints by the Nokia camp. But with complaints in various countries about its aggressive practices, the company can’t afford to alienate the world’s fastest growing markets India, China and Brazil.

http://startups.gigaom.com/2006/07/26/qualcomm/

6. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    It does seem like Qualcomm will have a "Monopoly" on everyone with it getting roalties from every handset sold with CDMA technology. Especially with WCDMA coming into the markets and it makes you wonder if they can cause the prices of handsets & plans to increase when they have a stranglehold in the world on getting money from every carrier that goes 3G.

Maybe this is why China is looking to develop their own network technology to get away from Qualcomm, and I wonder if Nokia is going to win their case that Qualcomm filed against them.

7. scotsboyuk

scotsboyuk Senior Member

My Phone:
    N95
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Orange, T-Mobile
    @Fire14

The thing is that Qualcomm has to play its hand carefully with royalties. If they start increasing royalties or exterting too much influence they might find that there is a backlash at some point, especially when it comes to implementing new standards.

8. anthonyamind

anthonyamind New Member

Hello guys,
    Could anyone enlighten me with the following questions? (Inevitably, I am one those unfortunate guys who has to travel the world over. And I would like to carry just one phone. So here are my questions. Thanks in advance.)
    1. What system is being in service at the moment in Japan?
    2. If I have a mobile phone with W-CDMA 2100 such as Nokia E61 or N71 etc., would it work in Japan?
    3. Would I be able to buy a SIM card there and switch, just as I did in UK or in Germany?
    Many thanks guys and may you be successful in all that you do. :)
    Anthony

9. scotsboyuk

scotsboyuk Senior Member

My Phone:
    N95
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Orange, T-Mobile
    Japan uses three different standards at the moment, although two of them are similar enough to be compatible. KDDI AU uses CDMA 2000 I believe. Vodafone KK (or whatever it is called now uses WCDMA (the 2100 MHz version)). NTT DoCoMo uses a version of WCDMA called FOMA, which, I believe, they have now modified to work with standard 2100 MHz WCDMA.

If your home network has a roaming agreement with either of the Japanese WCDMA networks then yes you can.

I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think so. As far as I know the Japanese networks don't use SIM cards, even with WCDMA handsets. As far as I am aware you would keep your own SIM card in your handset. Someone please correct me if I am wrong here.

10. anthonyamind

anthonyamind New Member

11. scotsboyuk

scotsboyuk Senior Member

My Phone:
    N95
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Orange, T-Mobile
    I'm not entirely sure about the SIM card situation, but as far as I know they don't use SIM/USIM cards. If they aren't using them then I would very much doubt that they will in the near future.

If I were to travel to Japan I would either use my own handset to roam on a Japanese network or rent a handset for use there.

An interesting development is that DoCoMo are to make all their handsets compatible with GSM network. This is so that DoCoMo customers can roam on GSM networks outside of Japan. A friend of mine who lives in japan informs me that they won't be able to be used outside of Japan except in this capacity.

12. anthonyamind

anthonyamind New Member

Dear Scotboyuk,
    Yes, it is about the time someone in Japan wakes up as millions of Japanese travel the world over each year as well as similar amount of foreigners from all over the globe roam the country. I rally am sorry for those who are racist or think racist no matter in whatever field, nationality, religion, technology etc. They are having a hard time finding themselves a place to live on this Earth these days.

At the moment, I am staying in Thailand using a first generation dual band GSM Motorola from Germany. It worked fascinatingly well when I lived in UK, Belgium and Germany. Last month, I moved to Thailand and switched to a Thai SIM card from AIS, a major Thai mobile service provider. It worked fine for a while. However, despite the strong signal of the base stations in Bangkok, my poor Motorola keeps reset itself very often and its signal indicator shows only 1 or 2 bars before indicating the full strength. And of course, each time it resets itself, whatever I am on is gone forever!

So I came to a conclusion that I definitely need a new handset. I was having an eye on the Motorola Motorola RAZR V3i but having read quite a few reviews from friends who used this model in UK and USA saying that it has problems with receptions especially when switch SIM cards so I change my mind to look into Nokia series E and N. and since I know I will have to stay in Japan next March for a while so I will take your advice.

If you happen to travel to Thailand in the near future, please drop me a line. Perhaps I could show you some of Thai electronic markets around Bangkok.

Thanks again.
    Anthony