Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

carrier questions

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by njsvrzncdma, Aug 17, 2002.

1. njsvrzncdma

njsvrzncdma i cant stop the ringing..

My Phone:
    LG vx8500
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VERIZON
    i HAVE CINGULAR tdma and it out performs my wifes cingular gsm. why is it i hear that cingular 's gsm in northern nj. is carried by voicestream????[​IMG] so where is cingular in this picture. and why are they useing another newtwork's towers and not their own. also why does tdma pick up better than gsm. i thought gsm was supposed to be better. i think that this is horrible if all the tdma companies want to go gsm. there is bearly and reception when you enter a building or a house or an over pass. [​IMG]

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. njsvrzncdma

njsvrzncdma i cant stop the ringing..

My Phone:
    LG vx8500
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VERIZON
    is it worth me to just go cingular gsm ?? or stay with my tdma. im just scared or the coverage problems. and that it supposedly uses a voicestream network. what is cingular thinking???

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    When you are NOT in a cingular GSM area you are roaming off of Voicestream wireless. (The only nationwide GSM provider)

Jack

4. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Jack's comment is correct, however in NYC Metro (Norhtern NJ and NYC/LI - not CT), and Calif. and Nevada, VS and Cingular have a joint operating agreement where they share the network. (VS network in the East, Cingular in the West)

5. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    It really depends on what type of phone you have. If you have a GSM phone, you'll be using Voicestream's network in most places in the US. Cingular and Voicestream have an agreement where they let each other's customers use their network. If you have a TDMA phone, then you'll be using AT&T or Cingular's network. In NYC and North Jersey, Cingular doesn't have a network so they have to rely on Voicestream for coverage.

About the reception, it has nothing to do with GSM. Quality of reception depends primarily on how many towers has the carrier installed in a given area. There's no question that GSM is a better technology than TDMA. As a matter of fact, GSM is like the next generation TDMA because they have a lot in common. Apparently, in your area, AT&T or Cingular (whoever owns the network in your area) has achieved better coverage using TDMA than Voicestream using GSM. Hopefully in the near future, Voicestream will get around to installing more towers and making reception more reliable in your area. If Cingular TDMA works better for you than Cingular GSM, then why change?