Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Can't roam on Simple Freedom

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by jhogg, Jun 17, 2004.

1. jhogg

jhogg New Member

Before I got my Tracfone (see the "Can't get Tracfone voice mail indicator to work" thread) I had a Simple Freedom Nokia 5185i for over a year. I was able to make and receive calls OK outside my home area (Alltel SID 54) with two stage dialing and was able to roam on the Applachian Wireless analog network in southeastern KY with three-stage dialing.

But this year, however, when I tried to make a call outside my home area, instead of getting a prompt to dial the number I was calling again, I got "Welcome to the American Roaming Network. Press 1 to use your credit card to place a call, press 2 to make a collect call, ..." I called SF customer service and they said that I had to call them while I was outside my home area before they could do anything. I just said to myself, "Ah, screw it, I'll just switch to another carrier" at the end of last month as my airtime was nearing its expiration date. And I wanted it a smaller, easier-to-carry phone than the Nokia 5185i.

What could have caused this to happen?

If this can be fixed easily, I may consider throwing another $20 card on my SF phone and putting the Tracfone on Ebay. My Tracfone Nokia 2285 can't do analog; I wish I'd known this BEFORE I got it *and* the 1 year prepaid card that I can't get a refund for!

2. Gamer03

Gamer03 Technology Aficionado
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Motorola X Pure
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Welcome to WA jhogg.

When my family and I used to have Cingular Wireless (tdma) we went to northern Wisconsin one summer and this happened to us, so all I did was cancel the call, redial my number I was trying to call, and the call went through.

I am not positive, but I think that this happens when your phone cannot find any carrier that is a partner to roam on, so this happens so you can still make a call.

I hope this helps you.

Maybe someone with more information can chime in. :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...