Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Can't get Tracfone voice mail indicator to work

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by jhogg, Jun 17, 2004.

1. jhogg

jhogg New Member

Hi all,

I recently (couple weeks ago) picked up a Tracfone Nokia 2285. Tracfone activated it on the Alltel network where I live (suburban Cleveland, OH, USA). I can't get the voice mail "new message(s)" indicator to work on this phone. I have called Tracfone's customer service about this twice and they say that the carrier doesn't support this feature (Tracfone says my carrier is GTE-- I guess they really mean Alltel because Alltel bought the GTE system here a few years ago.)

FWIW, text messaging works- I can send a text message to, and receive a text message from, another phone. I can also send email from this phone but I can't email to the phone.

The VM indicator worked just fine on the Simple Freedom Nokia 5185i I had before I switched to Tracfone. My SF phone used Alltel as the carrier also.

Is there a way to get the VM indicator to work on the Tracfone? Is Tracfone BS'ing me? There is no option in the VM setup/config to enable the indicator.

J Hogg

2. jhogg

jhogg New Member

Anyone? No one here has ever run into this with Tracfone?

3. xikle

xikle For rent: inquire below

My Phone:
    BB Curve
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Moble
    I've used Tracfone but never had that problem. I'm guessing it's something on their end and they either don't know or won't admit it. It could also be a network problem on Alltel's network. I've had tracfone using both Alltel and Verizon's network and both times the VMI worked fine.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. bunnee

bunnee New Member

[/I]I noticed the same thing--no VM message indicator, but I've learned to live with it. You can depress the VM key on the pad for a few seconds to connect or press * 86 (ck w/your carrier - I have Verizon). Or you can access by dialing your cell number. Did you know you can check using a landline? I do this at work to save my units. Just dial your cell number from the landline and press * when you hear your greeting and BEFORE the beep's heard. You'll be prompted for your P/W and can check your VM for free. I've had a tracfone (old 5180i candy-bar type model) for a while now and wouldn't trade it for the world. Good luck!

5. EdwardP

EdwardP Bronze Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Android
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile (Deutsche Telekom)
    I would call TracFone and ask that they contact the carrier and tell them to enable the voicemail indicator for your number.

I have a Simple Freedom phone (powered by Alltel), but is on the Verizon network locally. I had to call SF Customer Service (at Alltel) in order to have them add the feature to my account.

I have previously had a TracFone in a Cingular service area, and the VM icon worked right from the beginning.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. jean speidel

jean speidel New Member

Thanks for the help Maybe some where soon I will find an answer.

appreciate any help I can get I may have to live with it

Merry Christmas jean