Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Can't get Motorola Phone Tools to work

Discussion in 'Verizon Wireless Forum' started by vinzchlortho, Oct 20, 2006.

1. vinzchlortho

vinzchlortho New Member

Hi,

I recently got a Motorola RAZR V3m and I also purchased the Phone Tools Ver. 4.0. I've loaded the software but immediately started having problems. While the programs were configuring, one message said that it couldn't detect the phone. I had to tell it what it was but the best I could find was RAZR V3x. I assume that would be sufficient. When the program activated, a picture of the cell phone appears on the desktop and a small message runs across the display of the phone saying, please wait...initializing. Underneath that, it says Flight Mode. This is as far as it gets and to be certain, I let that go on for an hour. Now, I know that there is no way this could be correct, so would someone be so kind as to help me get through this. I know I'm probably doing something wrong. I have Windows XP Pro.

Thanks a lot...Vince

2. vinzchlortho

vinzchlortho New Member

I'm sorry. I read another post and found that I might not have done enough updates. I continued to do them until I reached version 4.21a. When it completed, all the goofy stuff went away and I now have access to the proper displays and what I assume is the next step in my quest.

Thank you...Vince

3. vinzchlortho

vinzchlortho New Member

Okay...I thought I was done with this, but not so. The version I'm on, 4.2.1a, is as high as I can get but it doesn't have the Multi Media Studio.
    I've been reading a lot of the posts about the Motorola V3M, which I have, and the MPT software, which I also have. I've tried and tried and just can't things to work. I assume that when it tells me to detect my equipment, I should choose Motorola CDMA and then V3cm. I noticed that having done this before, the Multi Media Studio no longer appears on the display of choices. I've also seen that when I followed another's suggestion to download some software to edit a Seem, I was to execute a program called MSU. It runs, but when it gets to a certain point, there is an error message that says, "Runtime Error", Program C:\Program Files\Motorola\Software Update\msu.exe. This application has requested the runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. It shows it to be a C++ program booboo. This is as far as I've ever gotten. Realizing that it never completed, but still wanting to try anyway, I activated the Seem editting software and the large screen appears but in the bottom left corner, it shows that it is not connected.

Vince...

#3 vinzchlortho, Oct 22, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2006
  4. ian1001

ian1001 Junior Member

My Phone:
    moto razr v3m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    verizon wireless
    you need to do a seem edit- 2827 Bytes: 0000 Offset 0006 check bits 0 - 2 - 3 - 6 run msu (dont exit) make sure all of your drivers are installed and then run p2k seem :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. gsuburban

gsuburban New Member

Pardner....Motorola Phone Tools work perfect with a Razor phone which is purchased without a wireless carrier at the same time. When you get a phone from Verizon (or any of the rest of them) the phone's software and configuration is modified to Verizon's specifications.

Guess why? IMHO it's due to the fact that they have invested into Vcast which a phone user must pay as you use it's features. They will dime and quarter you to death and by the end of the month you have Vcast charges to add to your wireless bill.

I was reading the Razor could be charged with a usb connection to a computer and thought I would use that feature often. I read you had to have MPT to do so. Installed the CD and got all the same errors you did. Then, I got to this forum and read up. Found out you had to install Microsoft ActiveSync drivers first then MPT and even then the MPT would not install properly. Found out that after a few re-tries installing MPT (a 3rd or 4th try) the installation will ask you "Do you want to find the phone manually"? Select this and then you have to look for "V3cm" and highlight it to complete the proper install config. It all works fine from there on out. some of the Motorola features will be disabled but you can still charge the phone and use a few MP3 features etc. They call this problem "locked" or "unlocked" meaning set up for Verizon=locked. I wouldn't wipe out the Verizon software as who knows if it will mess with the phone functions etc. Verizon is the better wireless carrier so, I'd do lots of homework to find out how to perform a function within MPT you must have without afftecting the Verizon functions with the Verizon network etc. The Razor models V3C and V3M is the problem with the MPT. Windows see's the phone as a "C" I think and you need to do the above to get it to see it as an "M". Also, once it's all installed, windows see's the phone as a "Motorola usb modem" in device manager.

Good Luck...

6. Cincyball

Cincyball Issss a niiiiice. High 5!

My Phone:
    V3m w/ Alltel V3m Flash
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. sxyace21

sxyace21 New Member