Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Cancelling add-a-line contract????

Discussion in 'Alltel Forum' started by nm-native, May 1, 2007.

1. nm-native

nm-native New Member

Good evening. I am hoping to get some input from those of you who have done this, or possibly from a few that actually work for Alltel (in some way or another). We are still having problems with the third party that sells the phones online (even though it was from alltel.com). We have been waiting for my husband's replacement phone for over a week. The days are closing in on when we have to cancel our contract. We traveled to the area we will be moving to this weekend and the service was great. Since I fianlly realized problems I was having was not really Alltel customer service, but from the other party (Let's talk), I think we will be sticking with Alltel. I was impressed when I went into the store, and they provided a "loaner" phone (even though it is an older Nokia model - but hey, it works) which they totally didn't have to do since we were dealing with Let's talk. Our dilemma is that my husband is worried the problem he was having was with the model and not that particular phone (which is what we are hoping for). If for some reason this one shuts down on him like the last, we are out of our window of just returning it and then must deal with LG. After this whole experience with this phone and getting a replacement, I can only imagine how long we would be waiting to get a phone from LG... We are considering cancelling the add-a-line (which is the line this particular phone is on) and adding another line and just transferring the number, telling Let's talk to keep the replacement phone (which is not scheduled to ship out until Wednesday). That way, if it is in fact a problem with this particular model, at least we could go to the local store and get a replacement, not get jacked around for 2 weeks again...
    My question is, when you add another line, do they throw in a "free" phone as long as you sign a contract (we signed 2 year)? Do they hard pull your credit again (we are applying for mortgages at the new location, and I don't want to have too many inquiries... We are still within our 15 days to cancel the service, but can you just cancel the add-a-line? The phone service is great, but, oh how I pull out my hair when I have to deal with those bankety-blanks at Let's Talk....

2. nm-native

nm-native New Member

Have another question: my husband will be relocating this weekend. Since we are looking at starting another line (and cancel the one I set up through the website) and he will be at a different location, if I go in tomorrow to cancel the add-a-line and add another, can they program the new phone to a number in another market (where he will be and I will eventually be in a few months)? Or is this something that we will have to do once he is up in the new market?

Thanks.

3. dolphin_crazed

dolphin_crazed Junior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Diamond
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel; Verizon Wireless
    As far as activating a number from a different market, this can be done over the phone w/ an Alltel SAC (Sales Action Center) rep, as they have the ability to activate in any market. Also, if/when you want to change the primary number to the area, SAC can also do what's called a "market transfer", where your existing contract is moved to a new number that is local for your new area.

The entire cancel/re-sign up, I really can't give anything on that.

As far as credit check goes, if you were approved for more than 2 lines initially, they shouldn't have to run it again. My fiance was initially approved for 5 lines when he set up an account for his parents to use, however, when he went to add a phone for his sister (this is phone 4 on the account), the system flagged him for manual review. I don't know if it was because he was adding her several months after the first few phones or what. I know the payment history on the account was perfect because he setup auto-draft at his father's request.

Hope this helps.:)

4. UFO

UFO Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Palm Centro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint and alltel
    They should be able to do this in a store also if you get a rep that knows what's going on. I once had a phone activated in a retail location that was many miles away from the area code that was assigned to the phone. They just needed the street address of the primary user and a phone call to what I assume was the SAC.

I was also told that when adding-a-line, all phone numbers on the account have to be in the same market. So he should be able to get the phone number for his new market, but since you all are on the same account, you will probably have to choose a single area code for both of your phone numbers... A market may carry different area codes and you may be able to do it, but if I was informed correctly on this point and he is moving to a different market, you may have to choose a single market to base both of your phone numbers out of.

#4 UFO, May 1, 2007
    Last edited: May 1, 2007
  5. UFO

UFO Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Palm Centro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint and alltel
    I just made the connection and realized that you got the deal where you buy the ax8600 and get the ax245 for free.

Like the others, I've never really heard of anyone just cancelling an added line so I'm not sure if that's possible or how it would be handled, especially in that BOGO situation, and especially being handled through LT.

If you are able to do it, from what I understand that deal only applies if you buy both models at the same time. There are phones that are free with a 2 yr contract. But if you add-a-line and want the ax245 with a 2 yr contract, I think there is still a price on it though I'm not sure what it is now. It's not that high though. But you should still be able to get it at the 2 yr discounted price.

6. strunke

strunke .:|Always Covered|:.

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8230, KRZR K1m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel, T-Mobile, Sprint, Centennial
    Yes if you just cancel one of the two lines (make sure that let's talk will allow the canceling of just one) and return the phone you can add a line later in the store. You will get the discounted price if you sign the contract, but keep in mind the contracts will end at different times. You will still have to pay the activation fee though, unless you are clever enough to get them to waive it...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...