Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

cancel cingular contract

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by saaben, Aug 27, 2004.

1. saaben

saaben New Member

Hi all,
    I found this group doing a search on canceling with Cingular. I have been with C for 10+ years. I signed a 2 year contract 11 months ago. Well, needless to say, my usage has gone up, my business is relying on the cell phone more and more AND Cingulars coverage SUX!

I see that it seems pretty much impossible to get out of a contract without paying the ETF but I was wondering if this would work.

If I went to a Cingular store and signed up for a new plan, dont I get a new contract? Dont I have the option to cancel the contract within 15 days?

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on this.
    Thanks in advance
    saaben

2. Etorres777

Etorres777 Life is good for now..

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 3G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t Mobility
    Sorry to hear you're having problems, I don't think there's anyway of getting out of a contract without paying the ETF.

3. dallison

dallison Senior Member

sometimes there is a loophole.

if you currently are on the tdma network, upgrade to the new gsm. use the 15 or 30 period to cancel your gsm service. just return the phone later and call cust care and tell em you have tried the gsm and didnt like it. don't tell em you ever had tdma
    most times they will not check your tdma acct to see what the old contract end date was
    most of the time this will work esp with att

4. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    How come it took you 10+ years to figure out Cingular's coverage SUX?
    And you are right, there seems to be no way to get out of a contract without paying the ETF. You know why? because paying the ETF is the ONLY way to get out of the contract! That's why the ETF is there.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. @TheRealDanny

@TheRealDanny ALL IN

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile USA
    Wow. You had Cingular over six years before they even came out!! You must of been a beta brand tester. Haha. :biggrin:

Just kidding. I assume you meant 10 months right?

If your service is bad and you want out, just pay the ETF.

Or if you have no conscience, you can always pawn the account on a family member you don't really like and have them take over the contract. LOL. :eek: A few years ago I did that to my sister. We lived on the same street so we enjoyed the same bad coverage with the provider we used back then. We could only get one bar on our signal indicator while outside on the street and no service indoors at all. I was evil. She wanted a phone, but had no money to buy one. She owed me money too that was never paid so this was my way of getting back to her. I convinced her to take over my account and even got customer service on the phone for her convenience and handled it. Let's just say we didn't talk to eachother for a long time.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Etorres777

Etorres777 Life is good for now..

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 3G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t Mobility
    That's horrible, yet hilarious :lmao:!

7. scohen

scohen Junior Member

My Phone:
    LG VX-4400
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Maybe by 10 years, they mean they were with a chain of predecessors that eventually got bought by cingular. IE cellular one, then cingular.

Anyway, i've said this before many months ago. I got out of my cingular contract after about 10 months. I had a well documented case of no service at my home or my work, ie many logged support calls.

I then purchased a GAIT phone out of pocket to try that (at my own suggestion), which also failed to have acceptible service, then they cancelled my service without a fight. I paid no penalty other then the purchase of 2 phones. They were maybe a combined 100 bucks for the original v60gi and nokia gait.

8. jones

jones Silver Senior Member

It can't be 10 months becaz he sign the contract 11 months ago.
    Anyway you probably will miss them saying goodbye after 10 years.
    Where is your area by the way?

9. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    There's always cases where people have been able to get out of their contracts without a penalty fee. Those are called "Exceptions to the rule". This doesn't mean there is any caveat in the system allowing users to get out with no fee. There isn't any. Normally, you have to pay the ETF. But sometimes there are customer service people that allow you to get out due to the fact that they are human beings and they just decide to break the rules. You have to be very persistent and just have the luck to get a person on the phone that is easier to convince than you are.

10. scohen

scohen Junior Member

My Phone:
    LG VX-4400
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon

Yea well, my only point is that it is possible.

11. Scrumhalf

Scrumhalf Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Xiaomi Mi Mix 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T, Sprint
    If my business depended on cell phone service, I would just pay the ETF and move on. You probably stand to lose a lot more money in your business by continuing to have a service that does not meet your coverage requirements, because any fight that you may engage in with Cingular is probably going to take a long time as it is not an open and shut case.

Your tax accountant could probably figure how to turn the ETF into a tax writeoff. :D