Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Can you still make local calls on your mobile phone dialing just 7 digits?

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by Telekom, Sep 16, 2007.

?

How do you have to make local calls?

Poll closed Sep 26, 2007.
  1. Input 7 digits

14 vote(s)
    43.8%
  2. Input 10 digits (area code plus 7 digits)

7 vote(s)
    21.9%
  3. Input 11 digits (1 plus area code plus 7 digits)

1 vote(s)
    3.1%
  4. Input 7 digits, input 10 digits or input 11 digits

10 vote(s)
    31.3%
  1. Telekom

Telekom Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 5310, iPhone 3G[S]
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile US, Fido CA, T-Mobile NL, Orange IL
    As in the subject line. Are you still able to make local calls just inputting 7 digits? This likely only applies to those who do not have an "overlay" area code in their locality. I use T-Mobile and I am able to call all local numbers in my area code with just 7 digits. On the other hand I was trying out an iPhone in an AT&T store and attempted to call a local number inputting only 7 digits and I got an error recording telling me that I had to dial area code plus number to complete my call. Coincidentally, if I happen to be in another T-Mobile area in another state within another area code if I dial a 7 digit number it will not go to the local number, but instead will go to the local 7 digit number in my home area!

2. TelcomJunkie

TelcomJunkie Bad Handoff Investigator

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Big Brother
    On my cell phone I can dial local numbers at 7, 10 or 11 and not get an error. If I stay on my native provider, anywhere I make calls is like I'm making them back at home, 7 digits.

Now on my home phone they got rid of the dial 1 requirement a while ago but recently they started dolling out 888-XXXX numbers which I really think is assinine for whoever gets issued one of those numbers. I can only imagine how many people try to call a toll free number but get diverted to someones house.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 28 Years Plus
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 13 Pro Max, XS Max
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    In most cases I need to dial 10 or 11 digits. This is because of the fact there are 14 area codes in Greater Los Angeles and my mobile numbers are not in the area code I live in. There are rare occasions when I only have to dial 7 digits.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    I use 10 digit

5. Simon5282

Simon5282 Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I can do it seven digits, but I am so used to doing it ten digits because I moved from Fort Lauderdale Florida, where it was ten. I hate it when I use a landline, and have to redial because I use ten digits.

6. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    LOL and when I am out of my local area it is so much easier to just have a 10 digit number to call with

7. COtech

COtech Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sam. Galaxy SII Skyrocket
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Mobility
    The toll-free number needs a 1 in front if dialed on a wireline. Locally, 901-888-xxxx numbers have come from a CLEC presently known as "XO", formerly "Nextlink", for about ten years. I have not heard of it as a problem.

COtech

8. Telekom

My Phone:
    Nokia 5310, iPhone 3G[S]
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Which is something that always mystified me about the California PUC. They went out of their way to make kajillion splits rather than apply overlays just so some Bel Air housewife wouldn't sprain her fingers dialing 3 extra numbers when she called out for dinner or called the pool boy. For a while California had to ration numbers because they couldn't split any more areas with any kind of sense. Area code 213 must now be a couple of blocks in downtown Los Angeles :)

9. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, AT&T based Tracfone, T-Mobile
    I took my TMobile prepaid (seven digits) to Atlanta, a mandatory ten digit dialing area, and I had the same results, dialing seven digits got phones in my area code. When I had an Atlanta phone number on my TMo, dialing 7 digits anywhere yielded an error message... since ATL requires 10 digits for all calls.

On my Verizon (7 digits), I have had mixed results:
    Within my SID, 4138, (but different area code), dialing 7 digits got me back to my area code. When I went to another SID (4160) within the same area code, I got an error message... and the area has seven digit dialing. Yesterday, I was near Orlando (sid 4192), another 10 digit area. When I dialed seven digits, I got numbers in my area code. Dialing seven digits outside my SID yields me a local number in that area (in S. Ga or Alabama) or an error message (northern Ga).

10. walkguru

walkguru Wireless Guru

My Phone:
    iphone 3gs 32black
    Wireless Provider(s):
    cingular,family plan w/4 lines
    Wirelessly posted (Walkguru's: Opera/8.01 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/3.1.8295/1710; en; U; ssr))

7 here in the 405 area code.

11. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    For me its strange. My phone is in the 842 exchange of the 540 area code which is issued to the Stafford/Fredericksburg area. When here in the 703 area code I have to dial 10 digits to get any "local" numbers for my phone. When actually in Stafford I only have to dial 7 digits.

-Jay

12. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    So do you save your contacts with 10 digits

13. Shizam76

Shizam76 Shizam! Babyyyyy!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t
    All my contacts are saved as 10 digits. I do dial other local numbers here and there....to order food, call other places in town when needed.

It's strange.....at home, my phone bounces between 2 towers. If I'm on this one tower that is Southeast of my house, and I dial only 7 digits, I get the "your call cannot be completed as dialed, please dial the area code,blah blah blah" If I am on the other tower...I can dial 7 digits. If I go a bit north, all the way to Chicago and north, I have to use 10 digits or get the recording :mad:

I hate overlays......our area code, 815, was overlayed the beginning of this year.

14. M in LA

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    Finally the whiners were shut up when the PUC made the decision to implement the 424 area code overlay of 310 last year, a full 7 YEARS AFTER IT WAS PLANNED!!! Now the 818 area code is threatened with an overlay or full split (either way to be known as 747).

My Verizon number is in 310. I'm glad they implemented the overlay. I really did not want to change my area code. Unfortunately, if they split 818 instead of doing an overlay, my AT&T number would be affected, that is unless they decide to keep my part of the code as 818 and assign 747 to the other side. My T-Mobile number is in 213 (whatever is left of it).

This is not the end of it here. What's left of the "once mighty" 714 area code is now being threatened with a split/overlay. In case you're counting, that's area code #15 and #16 in Greater Los Angeles. :eek:

To be continued...

Just for reference, this is what it looks like in L.A. Metro. The only area code missing from this map is 760 (which is east of 661 and north/east of 909).

[​IMG]

15. Telekom

My Phone:
    Nokia 5310, iPhone 3G[S]
    Wireless Provider(s):
    For on the spot convenience I save as 7 digits, but if there's a number that I know that I'm going to have to use everywhere (including overseas) I'll save it as +1 area code and phone number. That way it will always work everywhere. The only problem doing it that way is that it destroys any "parsing" that your phone may do for the number e.g. 311 555 2368 or 1 311 555 2368. If it's entered with the +1 there will be no parsing and it will show in contacts as +13115552368.

16. hf1khal

hf1khal Who am I to judge

My Phone:
    iphone 4, 3G S, BB 9700
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Mobility, MTC Touch
    If I need to make a call to a number in my local area of 516 I can make a 7 digit call this can be made any where in the area evenif I was located in a 201, 212, 718, 631 and a few others as they are part of the home calling region. I willmiss being able to do that once I am in VA as they do require 10 digitcalling process. However, since 95% of the calls are out my phone book,, all of those are based on the +1(xxx)yyy-zzzz. The reason is because of international travel and I use my phone to make calls all over.

17. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    Yes, I save all my contacts as 10 digits because even though my phone number is a 540, I have lived in the 703/571 area code for a few years now. The towers here require 10 digit dialing, even if your phone's area code only requires 7. Years ago I used to keep all my contacts stored as 7 digits, but sometimes at work my phone would roam on Suncom, and I would get an error message. That was in my V60 days about 5 or 6 years ago. Ever since them I've stored my contacts as 10 digits, but if I am in Stafford and direct dial the phone I will dial 7 digits.

-Jay

18. Gamer03

Gamer03 Technology Aficionado

My Phone:
    Motorola X Pure
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Well I dial on cell phones with both 7 digits 10 digits, and I dial with 11 digits on my landline. Even though it is the same area code to the county north of me, I still have to dial 10 on my cell phone and 11 on my landline. Everytime I program a number in my cell phone, I always include the area code since I travel to/from two counties on a daily basis.

19. NFrabbit

NFrabbit Member

My Phone:
    motorola RAZZR
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    We have had 10 digit local - 11 digit long distance on our land lines for years now.

However I just tried 7 digit local on two cell phones, dialing my home land line. On Cingular the call went throug, On Tracfone (Alltel) I got the recorded message that I had to dial the area code. So I guess around here the need for 10 digit is carrier specific.

Oh well, I've been storing numbers as 10 digits for years so I guess I'm set.

20. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I need to dial 10 digits to make a local call on my AT&T phone, but can do 7 digits on my Buzz. Since my AT&T is my main phone I selected 10.

21. clock3687

clock3687 Cell Signal?????? Use it!

My Phone:
    Google Nexus S
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I haven't dialed 7 digit #'s in almost 10 years on a landline (i think 781 split from 617 around '97-'98.) I took that habit over to cell phones. I tried dialing a 7 digit number and i got an error. All my #'s are stored with 11 digits so im alrite whereever i go.

22. dmapr

dmapr Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    I can still dial local numbers as 7, 10 or 11 digits on both my T-Mobile & AT&T accounts. All my entries in the phonebook though are stored as +.... entries and since most of the times I dial from the phonebook that's how it gets dialed.

23. TelcomJunkie

TelcomJunkie Bad Handoff Investigator

Wireless Provider(s):
    Big Brother
    Correct, but in my area 10 digit dialing is allowed and only recently did the 888 exchange start to be used by it's owner, ATT. Before you simply got an error message telling you to dial 1 first, now you just get angry homeowners.

24. kilovolt

kilovolt New Member

Splits are hardest for businesses that need to re-print business cards, signs, etc. But it does keep Kinko's in business. Being that that PUC is located in SF, the Art and Advertisting designers probably had some lobbying effort to push for splits :)

That said, splits are nice because you know exactly where you are calling to, at least for landlines. Kinda like a "super" zipcode.

25. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    I am in area code 262, which spans two regions separated by area 414. I can make a call from either 262 area to the other using only 7 digits.

As far as in my phone book they are enter as 10 digits for the US/Canada & 12 digits preceeded by "+" for India.

26. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    I definitely can still use 7 digit dialing, as well as 10 and 11 digit dialing here. I save all my contacts with 10 digit dialing so when I am out of my Home Area I can reach those people without problems.

27. WiggyFife

WiggyFife still knows nothing!!!

My Phone:
    Droid X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    same for me...:D

28. mmmmna

mmmmna Junior Member

My Phone:
    Droid X2
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW
    Tracfone over US Cellular: I have to dial 10 digits;
    AT&T/Cingular: Depended on the other phone... even in the same 603 area code, some destination phones needed 10 digits, some needed only 7 digits.
    VerizonWireless: Just exploring that issue right now, too new to VZW.

29. KyleAndMelissa22

KyleAndMelissa22 Woot Woot, Splat !!!

My Phone:
    LG Lucid 3 / G4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless (SID 299, NID 173)
    If I'm on Alltel's 114 system, in Gaffney or Blacksburg (Cherokee County, SC only) the I can dial 7 digits in the 864 area code.
    Anywhere else I can't. This includes Greenville & Spartanburg (SID 116) or Charlotte (SID 114).
    Only in the county with the "X" on this map

[​IMG]

30. M in LA

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    I have to wonder if someone at the North America Numbering Plan Administration was asleep at the wheel when they determined the area codes for some locations.

Gee, do you think there may be a set of 3 numbers that DON"T begin with an "8" for South Carolina??? What were they thinking??? Must have been confusing when they added 843 right next to 803.

I've seen number combinations in some places that are ridiculously close to neighboring codes. It doesn't make any sense...:confused:

How about 954 and 754 for Broward County, Florida! You gotta love 914 right next to 917 in Westchester County and New York City! :lmao: Here in the L.A. area, they love the first and last numbers to be the same, like 323, 424, 626, 818, 909, and 949 (Oh, and 949 is right next to 951 too). There are so many more, I can't remember them all.

Oh well, I certainly miss 7-digit dialing...