Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Can you have outlook email without the BES?

Discussion in 'Blackberry Phones' started by mcwilliams, Sep 8, 2008.

1. mcwilliams

mcwilliams Junior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola Razr
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel and AT&T
    I am not familiar with how to activate a BB to receive Outlook email without the use of a BES or if it's even possible.

2. SteveW

SteveW Battery mgmt is my life

My Phone:
    T-Mo G2, LG CU500
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile

I assume that you want to receive email from an Exchange server. Outlook is just a client, which may or may not indicate the server being used. For Exchange, I believe that a Blackberry Enterprise Server (BES) for Exchange is required, whether your company maintains it or not. This is middleware that pushes Exchange email out to your wireless carrier.

OTOH, in my company we use Outlook as an email client to our POP server. I have my (Verizon) BB account configured to connect to this server, so my emails get pushed through RIM's BlackBerry Internet Service (BIS) to me. This does not have some of the advantages of true Exchange with BES (e.g. no true synchronization) but you do get your emails and no BES is needed.

SW

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. mcwilliams

mcwilliams Junior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola Razr
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel and AT&T
    Steve, thanks you so much for your answer. I was totally unsure on that but now that makes sense. It's my wife's company and it's fairly small and they have no BES, but I am willing to bet that they are using an exchange server.

4. WirelessBeachBum

WirelessBeachBum Soylent Green is People

My Phone:
    Thunderbolt...still
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW
    I have been able to set our Blackberries to use the OWA (outlook web access) settings to pull down email from our exchange server. It should be an option when using the BIS Blackberry Internet service to configure your email... For Example on alltel, via your BB web browser, goto alltel.blackberry.com, configure your exchange email address, and once auto configuration fails (which it should unless someone has already set up your server.) Select the sync to exchange option, and then enter the web address of your exchange server. The wizard should take care of most of the work for you.

Once you set this up once, and additional Blackberry users wanting to sync to your exchange should be autoconfigured. This unlike a BES will only sync email, and not calandar, task and contacts.

If you need that, I usually recommend to most of my clients to use a hosted exchange server, that you can easily add indivual BES licenses (exchangemymail.com is the one I usually recommend, only because I have used them, but do some research there may be better solutions or providers.)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #4 WirelessBeachBum, Sep 12, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2008
  5. SteveW

SteveW Battery mgmt is my life

My Phone:
    T-Mo G2, LG CU500
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile

Sneaky!... and very cool. :cool:

SW

6. paulmac

paulmac Senior Member

My Phone:
    Bionic - Rooted
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    If this is a small company, how many Blackberry users? You can get a 1 user Blackberry Proffessional for MS Exchange for free. 5 users I believe is $499.00. You could always get a 1 user for free, try it out with one person, and then if you like it, add additional licenses for more users as you add them. Here is a link with additional information http://na.blackberry.com/eng/services/professional/#tab_tab_overview

7. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Correct, if you have Outlook Web Access you can get your email on a BB without BES. However, you will not have calendar, task, contact, or email sub-folder sync capabilities.

8. WirelessBeachBum

WirelessBeachBum Soylent Green is People

My Phone:
    Thunderbolt...still
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW
    I followed your link and I don't see a 1 user for free option, (I would add that tom my exchange if available.) I do know that if you purchase from a wireless carrier business sales rep on occasion they have the ability to give you the BES licenses, as long as you are purchasing new BB's with contracts... But that is really a promotional deal, and it doesn't sound like the Original Poster is looking to add additional expense or BB's.

9. paulmac

paulmac Senior Member

My Phone:
    Bionic - Rooted
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Try going here BlackBerry - BlackBerry | Wireless Handheld Devices, Software & Services from Research In Motion (RIM) a little down the page you will see special offer for small and medium business. A link there discuss how to get 1 client license for free. Basically if you click on that link, the next page is where you can download 1 user client.

10. our3rotts

our3rotts An Iowa Gurl...

My Phone:
    Google Pixel
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZN - 4G
    We use exchange at home - but b/c of our IP and DSL service, it wouldn't let us use the BES. BB came out with an IMAP solution a few weeks back. DH got it installed & I've been connected to our home email ever since. Woo Hoo.

Now, to find that work-around to get connected to our work Exchange...I'll have to try the OWA solution above.