Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Can this be true?

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by Buickman, Sep 6, 2005.

1. Buickman

Buickman Gearhead/Gadget freak

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    BB 9550, Moto Droid
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon on both phones
    My wife just forwarded me an Email saying that at the end of the month telemarketers can start calling cell phones. It says to call 1-888-382-1222 for a national "do not call list". This sounds like some kind of scam, anybody else heard of this?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only

Half true. The phone number is the toll free number of the US governments 'Do not Call' registry. See: https://www.donotcall.gov/default.aspx

You can register your phone numbers to be on this list. But I'm certain that the first part of your question is false. To date, the service providers refuse to release your cell phone number...however if your number is combed by some other means, they it can be used.

I registered all my phones on the goverment's web page 2 years ago.

From the Gov web site on your question: http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/alerts/dncalrt.htm question #10

Yes, you may place your personal cell phone number on the National Do Not Call Registry. The registry has accepted cell phone numbers since it opened for registrations in June 2003. There is no deadline to register a home or cell phone number on the Registry.

You may have received an email telling you that your cell phone is about to be assaulted by telemarketing calls as a result of a new cell phone number database; however, that is not the case. FCC regulations prohibit telemarketers from using automated dialers to call cell phone numbers. Automated dialers are standard in the industry, so most telemarketers don’t call consumers on their cell phones without their consent.

3. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    I added my cell phones, home phones, and work numbers to the DNC lists when they opened too. It is very rare that I get a sales call on any of my phones. I get a lot of "junk faxes" at work though. I guess the DNC list doesn't apply to faxes?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    I still get telemarketer calls on my homephone sometimes even though it is registered with the National Do Not Call List. :(
    I've never gotten a sales call on my cell, I'd be mad if that happened.

5. zamboni77

zamboni77 Supreme CadGuru

My Phone:
    Droid Turbo BN
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon who else?
    Same here, but at work those who have not switched over to cingular and still use At&t are starting to get the calls on their cell phones...I thought you couldn't because you pay for your incoming calls.

6. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I know so far I haven't had that problem, but they aren't suppose to call a Cell phone, the problem could be when they fill out registration forms or other forms, they put there Cell # vs a Landline # & that becomes the number that gets sold to these telemarketers, as far as they are aware it's a home number & call it and think they are within the law since they believe it's a landline #.
    You are correct, they aren't suppose to call a Cell because we pay for our minutes.

7. 0oLakeShoreo0

0oLakeShoreo0 Senior Member

I have gotten one or two in all the time I've had my cell phone, I think they probably got it from something I signed up for and had to put my # down for, since I only have a cell. No major problems yet, but I hand't thought of putting it on the DNC list... I should probably do that.

8. crood

crood Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung Moment
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Please keep in mind that a lot of times when you put your phone number on a form (especially for contests), you've agreed to be called

9. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    How could this have something to do with whether or not they have switched to Cingular from AT&T?

10. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    True, I never fill those out, but if I do and if I have to give a phone number I will put my home phone number on it.

11. zamboni77

zamboni77 Supreme CadGuru

My Phone:
    Droid Turbo BN
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon who else?

don't know just saying that the two people who haven't signed a new contract in a few years and still carry the old brick nokia's or the moto v60's got them...maybe they did put it down as their primary number

12. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    I used to get phone calls to my cell for cracked winsheild I think someone gave it to them or something. I finally had those put to an end.

13. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    That could have been from 1 of the telemarketing companies that Verizon went after recently for calling cellphones.

14. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    When I first got my cell phone I used to get 4-5 calls/mo for people thinking I was CellularOne. It died down after a couple of months. My outgoing voicemail message started like this... You have reached the voicemail of Jay Sincavage. I DO NOT WORK FOR CELLULARONE. ... I checked my caller id. if I didn't recognize the number I'd let voicemail take it. Still 1 or 2 still left messages for CellularOne. Then when the Cingular merger took place it started all over again. I was tempted to ask for a new number, but my number is so cool and easy to remember I stuck with it. I guess it used to be a salesman's number.

15. hilary

hilary New Member

really??! i haven't heard of that. but that seems impossible to do.