Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Can not load these websites....

Discussion in 'APPLE iPhone, iPad Tablets and all iOS Devices' started by bobolito, Nov 8, 2008.

1. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Can anyone try loading these websites in their iPhone Safari browser?

http://iphone.television.aol.com
    I've had mixed luck with this one. It can crash Safari after actively browsing the full channel listing for a few minutes. I have it setup for the Dish Network listing which loads hundreds of channels into it. So I think it may be overloading Safari a bit.

http://www.dishuser.org/dishlist.php
    This one takes forever to load then crashes Safari.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    The first site i could load ok, the first time. It does seem slow and flaky though

The second site takes a long time and crashes as you said. Before it crashes I can move the screen around, and so on.

Glad I don't use them. Have you tried I.TV? That works well.

3. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Yes, the AOL TV site is slow and buggy. Can crash Safari if you use it too much.

I tried i.TV, but found another one much better: "What's On?" Not only it is faster than i.TV, it also gives me the movies playing on DishNetwork PPV. On i.TV every DN PPV channel always says "Dish Network PPV" all the time so I could never see what was on. The only thing prettier on i.TV is the channel listing, which has pictures of the channel logos or the shows that are on that time slot. In "what's on?" it just says the channel name and number. I guess the lack of graphics makes it faster.

Also, another problem with i.TV (and I think it's a severe problem) is the inability to turn off filters. Therefore, I was unable to display shows or channels that were higher than TV-14 since there was no TV-MA rating in the filtering selection or any way to turn off filters completely. Suppose I just wanted to see what was on the Playboy Channel, or any TV-MA rated HBO shows. No way to do that with i.TV. I guess they figured no adults were going to be using the program. :rolleyes: Maybe someone can enlighten me if I was missing something.

Also, many channels were missing from Dish Network listing in i.TV, like the Spanish or international ones. In conclusion, i.TV may have a pretty face, but it is severely lacking in usability. To its credit, the only thing I found that i.TV has that "What's On?" doesn't is a convenient link that tells you the next times a show will be aired. However, I found a way to do the same in "What's On?" which is a bit less convenient but gets the same job done.

So I ended up deleting iTV and I now use "What's On?" Though its interface is less elegant, I find it much more usable than i.TV. But then again, i.TV is free, while "What's On?" is not.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    That probably works best for you. I only have expanded cable TV service (100+ channels), and i.TV works great with that.

But I really like that it includes movie show times and theaters, etc. Plus you can review your NetFlix cue there also. Also you can see the movie review and watch the movie trailers too.

And it's great for me because you can filter only the theaters near you, and do it for multiple cities.

I only see that 'What' on' is for TV service, not movies.

5. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Oh yeah I forgot that iTV does movies as well. Nice feature. I have another app called Showtimes for movies. What really dissapointed me about iTV was when I was looking for "Real Time with Bill Maher" (on HBO) I couldn't find the next time it was coming because of the filter problem. I can't believe they forgot to include TV-MA or even an option to turn it off. If you watch any TV-MA rated shows you will run into that problem.

6. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Real Time with Bill Maher is currently on hiatus until February 2009,

I see filters in iTV to go above TV-MA. Plus in settings you have to said you are above 13. Also there is a filter for 'adult' too, which I assume is higher than TV-MA

They don't do it, if you set them?

7. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I remember seeing that the movie ratings go up to R so that wouldn't be available if I had said I'm under 13. It's kinda strange. I saw the Adult filter which filters out X rated content which I had turned off. But because I couldn't go above TV-14, everything above that was filtered out. I guess you must have gotten an updated version that fixed that issue with the TV ratings. When I looked for Bill Maher it was a few weeks ago when it was still running. That's when I got "What's On?" which allowed me to find out what time Bill Maher was coming on next.

UPDATE: I just installed iTV and I noticed a few changes: They've added NC-17 for movie ratings (previously only went up to R), and they also added the option to link to my Netflix account, which wasn't there in the version I had. Nice addition. Now, I see all the channels come up unlike before so I'm starting to like it. :) Also, Spanish and international channels are now showing up which for some strange reason didn't appear in the old version I had. Also, they seem to have improved on the speed a bit. All in all, I think it's a more valuable application than "what's on?" which is not free which is kinda ironic. My only problem with it is that DishPPV movie titles still don't show up. It only says "Dish PPV Movies" for every PPV channel. But that's not iTV's problem, it's the database where they get the data from. If you check TV Guide online, they don't have PPV listings for DIsh Network either, but other online guides like Zap2It or AOL have them.

So if you think about it, the only thing that What'sOn? has that iTV doesn't is the Dishnet PPV movie titles. Everything else iTV does a better job in this new version. Plus it's free! I'm gonna keep both for a while. Who knows? Maybe I'll end up deleting "Showtimes" since iTV does movies.

#7 bobolito, Nov 22, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2008
  8. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Hey, that is good news. I've noticed with all my appl's, I get quite a few updates, more than the Apple firmware updates. I think they respond pretty rapidly to consumer complaints via the review sections.

I really do like i.TV, esp with the new Netflix option. Now one can search for a movie, and add to your que, regardless of when it came out.