Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Can I use this with my phone?

Discussion in 'Alltel Forum' started by TruckersWife, Jan 15, 2006.

1. TruckersWife

TruckersWife New Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    I have an Alltel plan, and due to lots of travel a friend showed me this device HERE, the Susteen Data Pilot. She uses it with Sprint and surfs the web from her laptop, just by plugging her phone into the usb port.

Will this work with my Alltel phone? (I know the software works, but will I be able to dial up on my laptop from my phone?)

If this won't work, is there something else that will?

I can't really afford $80/month for those wireless cards...

2. strunke

strunke .:|Always Covered|:.

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8230, KRZR K1m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel, T-Mobile, Sprint, Centennial
    Welcome to Alltel! Yes, you can use those. If your friend's dials up like a modem you will have no problem. Actually now that I look over the website.......try this http://www.susteen.com/shop_alltel.htm
    and just find your phone. You may also want to glance at eBay after you find the right one for your phone. They often are a little cheaper. Does your friend have to have a regular dial up service like AOL, netzero, or juno to do it? If so that would be another cost to factor in... unless you already have a dial up service. I might have to get one of those....I guess it just takes up your minutes like talking....pretty cool...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. TruckersWife

TruckersWife New Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Since she's on Sprint, she just uses her account password for them, and it works like an ISP... although I could definately just get another ISP!

I actually purchased the datapilot, I worked at Best Buy and still get my discount there, so I went ahead and purchased it.

I'm curious if anyone's used this?

4. strunke

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Oh ok, hmmm not sure, you may have to call Alltel, explain it and have them enable something on your account. It's possible they have something similar with their alltel.net

Here is the access numbers for their dial up

and also their Service Page...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. music4praise

music4praise Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola W766
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, Ting
    FYI, you will be using your minutes and be connected at 14.4 which is pretty slow. You don't need a separate ISP to do this. Use QNC for the loginname and QNC for the password (those might be lower case). Minutes won't matter during nights and weekends but I thought someone should mention it.

6. TruckersWife

TruckersWife New Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    14.4 *eek* that's pretty slow!!

where did you find this information?

I can't seem to find ANYTHING about Alltel & this device! I can find plenty on Sprint, Cingular and Verizon...but nothing on Alltel.

7. TruckersWife

TruckersWife New Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    I'm also curious if I get the unlimited web access, if this works like that as well?? (The Axcess Mobile Web I believe it's called, for $19.99/month)

8. Ironwalt

Ironwalt Junior Member
    Junior Member Senior Member

My Phone:
    IPhone5
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    There is the all axcess pass that is $19.99/month. It has the mobile web and text. But if your just looking for mobile web you can add that for $5.99/month. But be careful if you do. The mobile web uses minutes from your plan. As for speed it is up to your phone (I hope I got that right). On my Moto V3c it has EVDO which is quick for what I use it for.

9. strunke

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Normal web speed is 40-70 kbps, but their broadband is 400-700 kbps. But just by using dial up which is what Truckerswife is doing is different. So she will only be able to get 14.4 or 24 kbps or something similar I believe. Which is probably the same her friend gets with Sprint.
    Evdo is only available in certain areas though....I don't know if this map includes the western wireless merger....
    [​IMG]

More info at http://www.alltel.com/business/enhanced/mobilelink.html

10. TruckersWife

TruckersWife New Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Thanks Strunke for posting that :) I'll definately have to look more into mobile link!

11. strunke

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    No problem! I wish they had an "inbetween" plan though. 7.99 for 2mb of transfer which is ok for checking your email every once in a while. But then the next step up is unlimited at 59.99. Wish they had something lower priced like a 10mb plan for 10 or 14.99 or something. I am also curious if you have to have a new or seperate contract with them....Well hope you find the one the best suits you.