Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Can I use a regular cell phone with alltel u prepaid?

Discussion in 'Alltel Forum' started by Cellfonian, Jun 1, 2006.

1. Cellfonian

Cellfonian New Member

My Phone:
    Kyocera CAndid
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    :( I am about to get alltel u prepaid and im using a just a regular cell phone for alltel u . Do you think alltel can use it with alltel u?:censored:

2. strunke

strunke .:|Always Covered|:.

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8230, KRZR K1m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel, T-Mobile, Sprint, Centennial
    Um yes? What do you mean be regular cell phone? The Alltel prepaids are the same as any other cell phone. They can operate any CDMA cell phone, as long as you have access to programming security code they can update it and put the ESN into their system. Tell me what kind of phone you want to use.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Cellfonian

Cellfonian New Member

My Phone:
    Kyocera CAndid
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Oh xlnt, i have a sony ericsson z500 but it uses a sim card do prepaids have a sim card?

4. Cellfonian

Cellfonian New Member

My Phone:
    Kyocera CAndid
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    :confused: But the sony ericsson uses a sim card so can i still use it as a prepaid phone?:eek:

5. strunke

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Hmm, then unfortunately I have bad news. That particular phone is only used with GSM technology. You see Sprint, Verizon, Alltel, and others use a technology called CDMA. While T-Mobile, and Cingular use a technology called GSM. These are very different and phones that are GSM cannot be used on CDMA networks and vice-versa.

The closest matching phone with Alltel is the Motorola V262 ($49.99), or one of the LG brand phones they have (i don't reccommend those, some of the newer ones look nice though.)

However most of the phones they have are better (if you have the money)...

The Motorola e815 ($129.99), Motorola RAZR ($199.99), Nokia 6255i ($169.99), to name a few.

And even the cheapest phone they offer the Kyocera SoHo Kx1 has all the features except camera and is a very good phone for the price. ($14.99)

To see all the phones go to www.alltelu.com Then click on "see phones", and make sure click the little button below them that says "See more phones". That's just in case you already don't know this :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. strunke

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Actually now that I look a little closer the Kyocera Candid KX16 for 34.99 looks like a good match too...

7. Cellfonian

Cellfonian New Member

My Phone:
    Kyocera CAndid
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel

NOoooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Well my mom has the kyocera candid and reALly is not a very good phone. I Might have to ask alltel about it. CAn you please give me a phone number so that i can get in touch with and alltel customer provider person. Iwill really aprecciate it. THanx:D :mad:

8. alltelwirelesstech

alltelwirelesstech Senior Member

My Phone:
    RAZR
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    hey what would you like to know. I used to be an alltel tech but 2 weeks ago i got the big promo!!! :D

9. Cellfonian

Cellfonian New Member

My Phone:
    Kyocera CAndid
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    I would like to know if I Can use a phone that uses sim cards with alltel u?:cool:

10. alltelwirelesstech

My Phone:
    RAZR
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    No because of the technology difference. GSM allows for SIM cards. Alltel uses CDMA. There is no way for us to activate a phone that uses GSM since their is (1) no ESN number on those phones and (2) It would not be able to pick up our towers. Think of it this way.... if you have an AM only radio, it can't pick up an FM station. They signals are different. Same with this, one can't see the other.

11. Cellfonian

Cellfonian New Member

My Phone:
    Kyocera CAndid
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Thanx, im guess ill just get a kycocera candid from alltel.

12. alltelwirelesstech

My Phone:
    RAZR
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    based on the city you are in the candid should be ok. i was looking at coverage there. if your far from the center of town you may want to go the moto route and avoid the kyo phones.

13. Cellfonian

Cellfonian New Member

My Phone:
    Kyocera CAndid
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    No it will work my mom has one

14. Reflections

Reflections New Member

My Phone:
    Kyocera Candid KX16
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Hi everyone, I'm a new member so first of all let me say that I love my Kyocera Candid KX16 & . Though it doesn't allow ringtones in any other form other than qcp and midi and it's not bluetooth, it is an awesome phone. Now as for reception and the Kyocera, I don't know about his town, towers, or how reception is there, but I do know that my husband and I are on Alltel service, live 15-20 minutes from town and our reception is fine. As a matter of fact we were on vacation in Indiana in June and we still got good reception where we were at there just using the signals from the other towers I guess cause the area we were in has no Altell service. Just my experience :)