Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Can I convert old Alltel Preaid or Simple Freedom to U Prepaid?

Discussion in 'Alltel Forum' started by jhogg, Feb 4, 2006.

1. jhogg

jhogg New Member

I just got word of Alltel's new U Prepaid plan. Looks like it rocks! Same no-extra-charge-roaming coverage area as Simple Freedom but a lower per-minute rate! And the minutes don't expire!!

Is there any way Alltel would let me change my Simple Freedom account to U Prepaid without loosing my Simple Freedom minutes, phone or number?

My mom has the old Alltel prepaid (35 cents/min, no true roaming outside of the Alltel network, voice mail extra charge, etc.) Can this account be converted to U Prepaid without getting a new phone, number or having to pay an activation fee?

2. music4praise

music4praise Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola W766
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, Ting
    Your mother should be able to convert without charge as long as she keeps the same phone. I don't think your SimpleFreedom phone will convert, however. These comments are based on reading between the lines on Alltel's web site. I suggest you call customer service and ask.

3. jhogg

jhogg New Member

I called Alltel customer service today and switched my mom's account to U Prepaid and got the new 15 cents/min rate for her :biggrin: .

The Alltel rep I spoke with confirmed what you said about not being able to switch Simple Freedom to U Prepaid :( . Damn shame... I really don't want to get another phone and would like to keep my number. Re-entering my phone book list into another phone is gonna be a pain! :mad: But it might be worth the hassle since U Prepaid has about the same no-roaming coverage as Simple Freedom and it's cheaper than Simple Freedom.

Is there some technical reason Alltel can't bring in Simple Freedom users? It seems to me as though it would be a simple switch in their billing system. Or is there more to it?

A little bit off topic: The rep said that PRL updates are now automatically pushed to the phone and that dialing *228 is no longer necessary. Is this really true?

4. music4praise

My Phone:
    Motorola W766
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, Ting
    Are you able to get into programming mode on your SimpleFreedom phone? If so, after you use up your minutes on it call SimpleFreedom and have them remove the ESN from their system. You can then use the phone on the Alltel prepaid. You will have to pay the $35 activation fee and get a new phone number. There is no way around that because there are two completely separate billing systems involved. However, it will enable you to keep your phone. Personally I would just buy a new phone (or a used one) and get someone with the right cables to transfer the address book.

Concerning PRL updates--they are pushed out. However, it is done on a schedule and your phone has to be on and not on a call at the time. It is still a good idea to do a *228 every now and again.

5. jhogg

jhogg New Member

I suppose I could also have my Simple Freedom number ported over to U Prepaid, if that's possible. Wouldn't Simple Freedom automatically release the ESN as part of the number porting process?

I wonder if the $14.99 Kyocera phone they offer for the U Prepaid is as good as my Nokia 3587i.

6. music4praise

My Phone:
    Motorola W766
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, Ting
    If they can do a port the ESN will be released and you will be good to go. My previous post assumed that a port would not be possible. I know several people who have the $14.99 phone (Kyocera Soho) you mention and they are happy. One of them used to have an LG and she told me the reception is much better with the Soho. The Motorola V262 is an excellent phone but it is $49.99 for prepaid. Avoid the Audiovox like the plague.

Did you check to see if you can get into programming mode on the Nokia? To try enter *3001#12345# and then use 000000 (six zeros) for the service programming code. You won't hurt anything to look--just exit without changing anything. The service programming code may be something other than 000000. You would have been given it when you activated your phone.

#6 music4praise, Feb 6, 2006
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2006
  7. jhogg

jhogg New Member

I tried *3001#12345# and tried to do something that requires the Service Programming Code. I tried 000000... "Code error" :( .

I also tried to do this before and think that I may have entered the wrong SPC too many time and may have locked myself out for good :( .

Some interesting developments... I can now see my call history (outbound calls only) at www.alltel.com and can dial *369 to check my balance just like U Prepaid. I can also see other account info that must have been ported over from Simple Freedom.

8. alltelwirelesstech

alltelwirelesstech Senior Member

My Phone:
    RAZR
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Alltel cannot move your simple freedom number over to alltel prepaid. reason... simple freedom is owned by wal mart stores inc and alltep prepaid is owned by alltel. alltel and walmart have an agreement. walmart owns the company, alltel provides the numbers and switches. alltel oursources the customer service to sykes. hope this helps

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. MOTOhooligan

MOTOhooligan Former Mobile Data Addict

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Depending on what phones you have, an Alltel sales office may be able to perform a phonebook transfer, if they have the equipment. There is a small fee (usually $5-$15) associated with this but if you really hate re-entering information, it's worth it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. jhogg

jhogg New Member

Guess what... I went into a local (Brooklyn, OH) Alltel store today and got my Simple Freedom Nokia 3587i converted to U Prepaid!! :D Nothing was reprogrammed on the phone, and I didn't have to pay any activation fee, change my number or lose my Simple Freedom airtime balance! The rep at the store pulled up my Simple Freedom account info, then he just changed the rate plan to the U Prepaid per-minute plan!

The only real changes are that my calls are now 15 cents a minutes instead of 25 and text messages are 5 cents a piece instead of 8 and my minutes no longer have an expiration date (as long as I make 1 call every 30 days). :) And I can now get a text message with my current balance (didn't work with Simple Freedom for some reason- I had to select option 1 to get the balance).

I'm starting to wonder if Alltel is starting to phase out the Simple Freedom plan and replace it with U Prepaid. It would be great to start U Prepaid phones in Wal-Mart stores. There's absolutely no reason to go with Simple Freedom anymore.

Has anyone else here been as lucky as me in getting their Simple Freedom phone painlessly changed over to U Prepaid?

11. warewulf

warewulf New Member

Wow.. that's different... our simple freedom numbers here are in a different billing system than the U prepaid numbers, and they do not transfer... we can't port numbers into prepaid at all because of the way our switch identifies prepay from postpay.. I'm glad that worked out for you...

12. music4praise

My Phone:
    Motorola W766
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, Ting
    That is fantastic news. Thanks for the update.

13. alltelwirelesstech

My Phone:
    RAZR
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    ouch that rep violated policy majorly.... yes the two services share the billing system but.. walmart owns simple freedom and alltel is not allowed to change their plans. you got lucky!!! but that rep will probably get spoken to.

14. music4praise

My Phone:
    Motorola W766
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, Ting
    Can you cite some evidence that Walmart owns Simple Freedom? Everything obvious points to full Alltel ownership. You can buy Simple Freedom phones and service at "lets talk dot com" and sometimes at Kmart. The Simple Freedom website has an Alltel logo and an Alltel copyright notice. Perhaps the rep violated company policy in transferring airtime but the phone model in question was sold by Alltel itself not that long ago. The recent transfer of customers in Verizon only areas to Verizon is also suggestive of full Alltel ownership.

15. alltelwirelesstech

My Phone:
    RAZR
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Alltel owns the phone numbers and the switchs and lines the calls are routed to. They also brand their name on the boxes "powered by alltel". Wal-mart however owns the company. Their Customer service you talk to is not alltel at all. its a company walmart outsources called sykes. If there is a technical issue, since wal-mart does not have access to our systems, then simple freedom tech is contacted. this is the only contact alltel has with simple freedom. i worked in simple freedom for a long time. the idea of the alltel branding is that people would not be as trusting of walmart as a phone provider.

16. alltelwirelesstech

My Phone:
    RAZR
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    another thing i forgot to mention.... not too long ago system wise it would not have been possible for the rep to transfer. simple freedom used to use BCGI for billing. im sure you read about the law suit against that company. walmart wanted to prevent a shut down of bcgi impacting simple freedom and asked alltel to provide billing system as well as switches. since both set of pre pay numbers are now stored in the same system, numbers can be changed to alltel plans. alltel is not supposed to do this since 1. it would violate the agreement alltel has with walmart and 2. alltel does not make the money off the customer. basically, you will be paying in but the money is going to simple freedom since it is stored in the billing system as a simple freedom customer. again, no harm to you, it just should not have happened.

17. jhogg

jhogg New Member

I too doubt that Wal*Mart owns Simple Freedom. The evidence, as music4tech pointed out, seems to indicate that Simple Freedom is a wholly owned subsidiary of Alltel. Alltel owns the simplefreedom.net domain.

Since February, I have been able to pull up my call history on Alltel's website and have been able to get my airtime balance by dialing *369 on my handset instead of #2435 (#2435 no longer works- that must have been the old Simple Freedom billing/tracking system). Also, the message telling me how many minutes I have left and the text message reminder that my minutes are about to expire were eliminated around the same time. Also, I no longer have to double dial if my phone is talking to an Alltel tower but outside my home SID. I still have to double dial, however, in a Verizon area. The U Prepaid plan came out around the time the changes were made to Simple Freedom.

I'm starting to wonder if Alltel has plans in the works to get rid of Simple Freedom and sell U Prepaid phones at Wal-Mart instead of Simple Freedom. The Simple Freedom Kyrocera SOHO KX1 phone is $59.99 at Wal*Mart and includes 120 minutes. The same phone is available with U Prepaid for 69.99 total ($14.99 for the phone, $35 activation, $20 for 133 minutes). For this phone, there is absolutely no reason to go with Simple Freedom instead of U Prepaid since U Prepaid minutes don't expire as long as you make 1 call every 30 days.

18. alltelwirelesstech

My Phone:
    RAZR
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    I work for alltel and worked in simple freedom tech. i wish we did own simple freedom as a whole since it would have stopped the limitations we had. The reason for the coding is we started housing simple freedom in our billing system instead of the seperate one. however, these customers are still wal-mart pre-pay customers. do give you an idea of how this works... your local ford dealer sells ford cars but the dealership is privately owned even though there is ford branding everywhere. alltel gets paid a fee for providing the lines, switch access, billing now, and tech support. that is the reason it is still around with the u pre paid being released. alltel also maintains the IVR and the web site for wal-mart.

19. music4praise

My Phone:
    Motorola W766
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, Ting
    Here are two direct quotes from Kevin T. Beebe taken from the May 3 Alltel earnings conference call transcript:

"Our strong pre pay results were driven by the launch of U-Wireless, our new pre pay product introduced in January and the continued strength of Simple Freedom which is our phone in the box pre pay service sold primarily through Wal-Mart."

"In addition, we’ve completed the conversion to a new pre pay service platform that expands pre pay features and substantially reduce our cost. Today both our U-Wireless and Simple Freedom products build on this new platform."

Here is a link to the full transcript:

http://seekingalpha.com/article/10009

I believe the limitations mentioned were due to a sales agreement with Walmart rather than Walmart ownership. Here is the BusinessWire article published when Simple Freedom was launched indicating an exclusive sales arrangement with Walmart. Walmart would naturally want a strict sales agreement to make it worth their while.

http://www.businesswire.com/cgi-bin/f_headline.cgi?bw.013003/230300200&ticker=AT

Here is another relevant article:

http://www.wirelessweek.com/article/CA276956.html?spacedesc=Departments

20. strunke

strunke .:|Always Covered|:.

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8230, KRZR K1m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel, T-Mobile, Sprint, Centennial
    Yes, I always thought that Wal-Mart pretty much ran SF. There CS is definately outsourced (it's terrible). If SF was owned completely by alltel then alltel would have just changed the name and pricing etc. Since SF is still being sold it is likely owned by Wal-Mart. They use Alltel's network, and Verizon in some areas.

Hey this is off topic, but do you know how I can access the programming menu on the SimpleFreedom Kyocera KX1 soho with the vertical screen? I was trying to just use that as the U prepaid account I opened, but as I was speaking to Alltel trying to change the info in the menu it was asking for a 6 digit security code. I bought it out of a box and never changed that security code, and it is not the default one, or any of the same numbers like 1,1,1,1,1,1, etc. I have also tried 1,2,3,4,5,6, and many others. But it still does let me into it. I called simplefreedom and they just gave me another alltel number, and the person from alltel u prepaid didn't know the code either. So i did shell out the 15 for a new phone. But I would like to resell the SF phone, which would be useless except for parts without access to the menu. Do you happen to know the code SF put in it? Or how I could just reset the whole thing?

Thanks for any help you can give me!

21. alltelwirelesstech

My Phone:
    RAZR
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    whats the esn?? i still have access to walmart prepay and can get you the lock code

22. strunke

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cool thanks! The ESN is 05503281072 that's the esn dec. The other one (hex) is 0x373210B0. I can give you the old phone number if you need it.

23. alltelwirelesstech

My Phone:
    RAZR
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Lock Code: 610588

24. strunke

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Thanks alot! Really appreciate it, thought I was stuck with a useless phone unless we found someone in the area to buy it and just take over the account and number.

25. alltelwirelesstech

My Phone:
    RAZR
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    No problem. your not the first who wanted the lockcode. walmart callcenter won't give them out and we have to have them here at alltel for troubleshooting but only SF tech has them here in alltel

26. slackpipe

slackpipe New Member

Hey, if i got the esn off this Nokia 6015i, could you get me the unlock code? Would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

27. alltelwirelesstech

My Phone:
    RAZR
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    yes ill get you the code but guys don't make this a habbit. im getting a lot of pvt messages for esn unlock codes. .. maybe i should start charging :biggrin:

28. propizza

propizza New Member

Can you help me with this esn please

29. alltelwirelesstech

My Phone:
    RAZR
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    check your private messages i gave you the lock code.

30. propizza

propizza New Member

Thank you !!