Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Can anyone tell me the service of T-mobile near Berkeley?

Discussion in 'Western US Wireless Forum' started by smartxtai, Jul 22, 2002.

1. smartxtai

smartxtai New Member

Ques. asked, i just want everyone's opinion. Also, is there a way i can check my minutes with T-mobile?

2. CaliphoniaBoy

CaliphoniaBoy Senior Member

hey smartxtai

I posted my first experiences with t-mobile in my other thread. However, I used to live and I am still working in Berkeley and have pretty detailled coverage experience here - so I decided to write a special answer:

Generally spoken: coverage in Berkeley sucks more than in most other places. This is mainly due to the city of Berkeley itself.

If you are going to study in Berkeley and want to heavily rely on your mobile phone I would recommend ATT. To my experience they have the best coverage around the campus. Verizon also works pretty well.

Larry has mentioned that Sprint has put up new antennas and coverage around campus should have improved. I cannot comment on that till now.

T-mobile / Cingular still have to put up some more towers. They work pretty well in most parts but have poor indoor coverage in some parts.

I use t-mobile now and I am pretty happy. However, I knew before hand that they have coverage in the areas important for me (I am working in the hills above the campus). They also have the best rate plans.

Upshot: If you want to get a great deal and you don't care that the phone may not work in some campus buildings get t-mobile. If you want to pay a little more but ensure you have the best coverage in Berkeley get ATTWS or Verizon.

Cheers and welcome to Berkeley

C.

3. smartxtai

smartxtai New Member

I was thinking of getting an AT&T plan, but the thing is that I heard that they are switching from TDMA tech to GSM tech. The thing that I am afraid of is that when i get a plan right now, and when AT&T switches to GSM do i have to change plans? or can i just change phones?

4. CaliphoniaBoy

KevinJames is the man for that question...

But I think you should not run into any problems as they will continue to run their TDMA services.

C.

5. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    When you change from at&t wireless TDMA to GSM YOU MUST get a new plan with the new service

Jack

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. smartxtai

smartxtai New Member

man that sucks..... no wonder AT&T said 200 additional min per month and 3000 nights and weekends per month(meaning as long as you keep your plan you get to keep these options too). well gee that's sneaky of att because they know once they go to GSM, and once TDMA service ends, everyone will HAVE to change plans and then they lose those minutes.

7. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    I think you misunderstood Jack's post if you CHOOSE to go to GSM then you have to change rate plans and get a different phone. AT&T plans on keeping their TDMA network on for years after they go to GSM, you do NOT have to go with a GSM phone when they launch if you do not wish too.

Otherwise if you buy a TDMA phone today even with AT&T going to GSM soon, it's still going to last you for years.

8. aiwapro

aiwapro Silver Senior Member

A poster in another thread, a couple above this one, posted that Cingular/T-Mobile is putting up 4 new towers in Berkley.

9. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    If Cingular actually has permission to put up 4 new towers in Berkeley then they have done the impossible.

10. CaliphoniaBoy

perhaps they did not name it

cell phone tower

but

biodegradable structure for transmission of recycled waves supporting communication for world peace

and got the permissions right away.

hahaha

C.

11. Guest

Guest Guest

Actually I posted it.. Just checked our mapping system again. We have quite a few temp sites, C.o.w.'s out there. But theyre are supposed to be around the area of the uc. Hopefully soon. Maybe more than 4 looking at it closer...

12. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Every site that Sprint has tried to get up in Berkeley has met with strong opposition. I heard the one they put on campus earlier this year was delayed several times before because of an activist in the building.

13. smartxtai

smartxtai New Member

Will ATT's TDMA service degrade because they will be switching their attention to GSM? I understand that they will keep the TDMA service, but will the service still be great since they will be focusing on GSM now. Also, since Cingular has bad reception in Berkeley right now, does that mean T-Mobile will have the same bad reception in Berkeley?

14. Guest

Guest Guest

I dont think At&t will stop taking care of tdam clients. But there is ALOT of focus on GSM... As far as t mobile/Cingular, yes it would be the same in that area since t mobile uses cingular's sites.