Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

can airplane flying overhead interfere with cell or wifi signal?

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by newtos, Mar 6, 2005.

1. newtos

newtos New Member

i live near an airport. when planes fly overhead, my cell phone signal drops dramatically and often disappears entirely. it has happened over and over again but my bf insists there's no way a plane flying overhead could interfere with my signal. i do live in a concrete steel-reinforced bldg, but my cell signal is fine when planes aren't flying above. and at my mom's house, which is much closer to the airport, the call-drop rate is even worse when a plane flies overhead. i have an older LG phone...i think it's analog but i don't know.

i've also noticed this signal drop with my wireless internet signal if i'm not too close to the source hub.

does anyone know why this might occur, or why this is totally impossible? i've lived here for 6 months and the pattern is pretty clear to me, but i don't understand reasons.

thanks for any explanation, even if it's, "you must be crazy!"

newtos

2. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    No, it is not impossible to imagine this happening. A big hunk of metal will act as an RF absorber or reflector if it is between you and the cell tower. But I can not prove if this is the case in your particular situation, since i'm not there and exactly what is happening can be complicated. A repetitive pattren usually means that you are on to something.

Not a crazy idea in my opinion.

3. maokh

maokh New Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo MM7400
    Wireless Provider(s):
    SprintPCS
    Its called multipath. A giant piece of metal moving over your head is a perfect source of such.

Multipath is when part of the radio signal takes a non-direct / longer path instead of the direct path. This reflection comes in later. This creates ghosting on television sets and destroys binary bits.

The signal is either canceled out or distorted by multipath when everything comes back together.

4. Yankees368

Yankees368 Compulsive Signal Checker

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhones 4S???
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, Sprint 2002-2010, Voicestream 2001-2002
    Strange...i live like 1 mile from JFK and have never had this happen before.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    It could be the communication radios in the plane itself are causing interference in the band your phone uses. I don't think it has to do with the plane itself.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. DanPFW

DanPFW Member

My Phone:
    MotoK1m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    CDMA
    I've got a buddy who lives in the flight path, about 5 miles from MSP International. He used to have frequent dropped calls when he was using Verizon, but I haven't heard him talk about this happening with his Sprint service.

At the time, I think someone explained the phenomena on the signal bouncing off of a jumbo jet and hitting a tower further away, once the plane passes through the area, the signal can no longer be held with the remote tower and the call drops.

7. proud2bamerican8

proud2bamerican8 Junior Member

What a relief! I thought the wing of the plane was catching on the string between the tin cans!

Seriously though, that explanation makes perfect sense.

8. maokh

maokh New Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo MM7400
    Wireless Provider(s):
    SprintPCS
    Planes serve as good reflectors....

I am not sure what type of cellular service you have, but if you have line of sight (even for a moment) to a tower that is not typically reachable, this can cause heavy interference.

9. Blue_Tech

Blue_Tech Member

My Phone:
    LG VX6000
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Bluegrass Cellular
    The 800 and 1900 MHz bands are pretty crowded, I wouldn't doubt this theory. I'm searching around for my old allocation chart. I know there's lots of local radio chatter at airports in the 800 band, and some navigation beacons too. I used to be able to pick up the radio talk on an old old scanner that my dad had when I was a kid.

10. sportygrly

sportygrly New Member

My Phone:
    LG F3Q Optimus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-mobile
    I have the very same problem. I thought it was the last phone I had, which was a Samsung Galaxy S3, because I've heard that the antenna is not very good in that phone. I used to live directly under a flight path. That was with Sprint. But now I have my current phone, the F3Q Optimus by LG, through T Mobile. Although I live in a different place and the planes only fly over up higher and less often, I still have the same problem and I have no signal or internet for several seconds up to a minute. It is very frustrating and nobody else seems to ever have the same problem so I'm glad someone else does to confirm that it's not just me.