Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Can a market be "over-celled"?

Discussion in 'Southern US Wireless Forum' started by upstate31410, Jun 29, 2007.

1. upstate31410

upstate31410 New Member

Case in point, Savannah, GA. They are served by the following carriers:

AT&T
    Sprint/Nextel
    Verizon
    T-Mobile
    Suncom
    Hargray (a local carrier)
    SouthernLinc (regional Nextel-like carrier)
    Alltel
    I do believe there's another carrier I'm forgetting......

So, aside from the prepays, there's 8, possibly 9 carriers in Savannah, which is not a large market (metro area of barely 250,000). Now consider Houston, TX:

AT&T
    Sprint/Nextel
    Cricket
    Verizon
    T-Mobile

5. That's it. Odd for the 4th largest city in the nation, don't you think?

Anyone know why Savannah seems to be "over-celled"? Has it been identified, possibly, as a "test" market of some sort?

Not complaining, just curious......

2. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    I don't know of any test markets, but the people of Atlanta are fortunate to have so many choices. I would imagine it has to do with bandwidth. There is a finite amount of bandwidth for any given area, no matter how many people live in that area. In large markets the carriers have to purchase a lot of bandwidth to have a functional network. This leaves only enough bandwidth for as few as 2 or 3 carriers. In an area where the carriers do not require as much bandwidth there is more to go around and you can have more carriers.

So in short, Atlanta is just the right size. Small enough so many carriers can have a functional network, and large enough that it is profitable for these small carriers. If it was much larger the small carriers would not be able to afford the bandwidth, and if it was smaller it probably wouldn't be profitable for the smaller carriers.

-Jay

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. roamer1

roamer1 In Memoriam

My Phone:
    Palm Treo 680
    Wireless Provider(s):
    lots of orange, a little Little Rock blue
    I think you mean Savannah, not Atlanta...we don't have that many carriers up here. ;)

The situation with Savannah, Mobile, AL, northeastern Alabama (Scottsboro is served by FOUR GSM carriers -- AT&T, T-Mobile, Corr, and Farmers) and other mid-sized and rural markets with an excess of carriers is a combination of quirky geography, communities of interest, and differing license boundaries (MSA/RSA vs. MTA/BTA).

What really bothers me are markets where all or nearly all the carriers are CDMA or are GSM -- the largest, most obvious one probably being Knoxville, TN, where only AT&T has GSM service while VZW, Sprint, USCC, and Cricket are all CDMA. (T-Mobile has licenses in Knoxville but no native coverage; AIUI, they leased their spectrum to AT&T.)

-SC

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. SCTelephoneMan

SCTelephoneMan Junior Member

up the road here in charleston, sc, we have quite the selection also:

at&t gsm
    sprint cdma
    nextel iden
    verizon cdma
    alltel cdma
    suncom gsm
    cricket cdma

we are t-mobileless, although the constant rumour that Tmob will buy Suncom always churns since they have no imprint in the Carolinas to speak up. but we still see Catherine zeta jones on tv anyway lol

5. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    Yeah, you're right. I don't know why I said Atlanta...

6. ansky

ansky Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Look at NYC. Such a huge market and all we have is Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, and T-Mobile.