Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Calling voicemail is not IN Calling

Discussion in 'Verizon Wireless Forum' started by foraminal, Sep 29, 2005.

1. foraminal

foraminal New Member

My Phone:
    E815
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I just got verzion service last month. I had cingular service in the past and when i called my voicemail from my cell phone its always a counted as mobile to mobile free minutes. The Verzion commercials said call anyone on the verzion network (IN calling) is free of airtime. When i call myself, its like calling a verizon number, so technically its IN Calling. Verizon does not see it that way. You are charged airtime when you call your voicemail which leads me to believe that Verizon is running deceptive and misleading commericals and is therefore a violation of FTC and FCC rules. Has anyone file a complaint with the FCC or FTC on this. Would be great if there is a law suit against Verizon so we all could get free voicemail airtime.

2. Outerlimit

Outerlimit Junior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola RAZR V3m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    there was a thread about that here awhile ago...

this is the way i believe it works... since the voice mail system for vzw is NOT on ur phone, calling to check ur voice mail is not necessarly IN... when you are transferred to voice mail when calling yourself then you have been transferred to the voice mail system..
    I'm sure someone else here can give u a better explanation.

I also remember reading that it used to be if you used *86, then it would use minutes, but people began to realize if they called themselves it counted as IN-Calling. Verizon has since changed that...

3. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Very few wireless companies count voicemail calls as mobile to mobile calling. Verizon, Sprint, Nextel, Alltel, and SunCom all count checking your voicemail from your cell phone as regular airtime. Cingular and I believe T-Mobile are the only wireless providers I can think of that count voicemail calls as MTM calling.

4. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    If you want to start a lawsuit, be my guest, but trust me, Verizon has their back covered on this one.

5. WirelessBeachBum

WirelessBeachBum Soylent Green is People

My Phone:
    Thunderbolt...still
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW
    Usually the ones that are not charging for it are not doing so because of billing system limitations.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Is that why Veriozn didn't used to charge for calls to your own number/voicemail?

7. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    You mean this is a CDMA vs GSM thing???:biggrin: Just kidding.

Seriously, I forgot that Verizon charges for this. Cingular used to, under tmda, but dropped that a few years ago I think. It makes a big difference in anytime messages for me...I always get VM that says 'call me back' instead of using the full minute just to give the message (like pick up bread). Ugh! At least now that is not wasted money to check VM

8. Outerlimit

Outerlimit Junior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola RAZR V3m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    hahaha... good point.
    i usually wait to check my VM until night time starts... and i usually have my cell phone on me at all times and i never miss calls due to lack of service here SO if i have a VM its cuz i ignored a call cuz i didnt wanna waste minutes ;) if im at my house, sometimes i miss calls cuz of service, but i'll call my cell from the house phone and check my VM that way.

9. what if you call from another vzw phone to your phone and check vmail. will it be IN that way? even though its a hassle.

i usually will call my cell from the house or work if I need to check my vm.

10. Outerlimit

Outerlimit Junior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola RAZR V3m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    i have wondered the same thing, but i have yet to try it....
    what may happen is like i said earlier, when u press * to log into voicemail, it might consider that a transfer to another system... and then still use minutes... I'm not sure, if any has tried it post your findings here plz. :)

11. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    I wish there was something I could do about this. But to really get it free just call it from a landline.

12. WirelessBeachBum

WirelessBeachBum Soylent Green is People

My Phone:
    Thunderbolt...still
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW
    As wireless continues to evolved so do the databases that handle the billing. In the past it may have been to complicated to compute those calls as charged.... Just think of the millions of calls being processed by the number of subscribers and add in LNP, can you imagine how complicated just computing a bill would be.

When I worked for a smaller carrier we would create our own plans within the limits of the billing vendor. You can only do as much as your billing system will support.

If you have 45 million customers, and you can figure out a way to add some incremental revenue by charging for voice mail retrieval (something that most customers are not going to complain about.) Why not, think of the extra revenue that comes in from that airtime.

Charging for retrievals is not that bad, some companies charge you airtime when people leave you messages. (some prepaid systems cannot tell the difference of a call to the phone or a call transferred to voice mail.)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Good explanation, Thanks, wbb.

14. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Calling your number from a different Verizon phone, not picking up and accessing your voicemial that way will be considered an IN call. Hope this clears it up.

15. itsme000

itsme000 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Casio G'zOne Type V
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless, T-Mobile To Go
    The Verizon voicemail server is not a mobile phone.

16. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    But you could argue the same for carriers who count calls to voicemail as a Mobile to Mobile call. :D

17. westcydr

westcydr New Member

My Phone:
    Moto V551
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular, Nextel
    Cingular charges me to check voicmail......... every minute counts against my overall usage...

18. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    I never answer my phone during important meetings or the toilet! VoiceMail is good.

19. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only

Must be pre pay service or a really base plan? You must have M2M on your plan to get no charges for checking VM.