Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Calling All Resolution Experts-opinions please

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by charlyee, Jun 7, 2012.

1. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Disclaimer: This is not all about cellphines but considering the whole retina dispaly started with the iPhone 4s, it's fair to post it here in my opinion. :)

More
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. dmapr

dmapr Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    I've seen a 4K projector in action and I can attest to the fact that from a normal viewing distance I was not able to tell the difference between it and 1080p (it could be switched to that mode). Granted, it was playing a 1080p source -- the story would've been quite different had it been a 4K source due to increased amount of detail. But until 4K sources arrive a 4K projector or a TV would be a waste of money, especially considering that the current crop is not likely to accept a 4K input should one become available.

I could tell the difference between 720p and 1080p on my 50" from about 10ft away -- but it could've easily been due to the fact that the TV itself had a native resolution of 1080p, so displaying 720p would naturally introduce some artifacts. The proper comparison would've been a native 720p display vs. native 1080p display, each playing a source matching its native resolution, in which case I feel the statement above would've been correct.

Personally, as long as I can't see individual pixels and the text looks reasonably crisp I'm OK. That means for a 15" MacBook 1680x1050 is enough -- no need for Retina.

All of the above is IMHO, of course :)

1 person likes this.
  3. Eileen89

Eileen89 Bronze Senior Member

[video=youtube;N2P7mIDT9pc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2P7mIDT9pc&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

4. Eileen89

While this is only my opinion, I believe what the guy in this article said is true. That as far as which display is best is a matter of personal preference. :)

http://www.androidpit.com/super-amoled-vs-retina-display

5. RadioRaiders

RadioRaiders RF Black-Belt

Wireless Provider(s):
    GSM / WCDMA /LTE
    I think it comes down to a little technical difference bolstered by a huge marketing difference. While it's true that screens with higher pixel density may be nicer to look at, it's not like it's a disaster if one phone has a few pixels more or less.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    I I believe that our mutual friend and resident "pixel w*#re" would disagree with you. :D

7. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    You rang? :D

No, I would agree -- it's not a disaster, it's just a phone not worth having :evillaugh

8. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Regarding Retina display:

I remember years ago when I bought a new washer. Big label on side of it: "The only one with 'cyclone action'." (And the blissfully ignorant crowd responds: "oooh, ahhhh!")

In reality, it was just a branding / marketing term for technology that everyone else had.

A year from now someone will come out with a display that is so dazzling, it will be marketed as the only one with true OMG. (And the valley girl texts her friends: "OMG! I've just got to have OMG")

And so the world turns.

1 person likes this.
  9. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    LOL, so true. Anyway, I'll take the 1680x1050 over the new Retina, since Retina is just 1400x900 in a nice dress with smooth curves (pun intended) :)

10. Eileen89

With a screen size of 3.5", I think the 1400X900 Retina display is perfect on the iPhone 4 and 4S. However, with larger screens such as most Android devices these days, yes, I would also prefer 1680X1050.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.

11. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    Sorry, a couple of threads crossing in my head. I was talking about the recently announced MacBook Pro computers with "Retina display". The iPhone 4S has a 640x960 resolution.