Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Caller ID in New England

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by Mooby, Jul 15, 2002.

1. Mooby

Mooby Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo 8200
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint PCS, Prior-Verizon FreeUp
    Any ideas why caller ID is not available in New England on Cell Phones? Any idea when it will be?

2. Joe0378

Joe0378 Senior Member

I live in NY which is near New England, but considered the Mid Atlantic States and I have no problems with my caller id. I didnt even know there was a problem.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Caller ID on my Verizon phone works fine everywhere I've been in New England where Verizon has digital service. That includes most of Connecticut, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and large parts of southern Vermont and New Hampshire. My colleague's Sprint phone works similarly.

What exactly is your problem?

4. Guest

Guest Guest

<< Any ideas why caller ID is not available in New England on Cell Phones? Any idea when it will be? >>

MAYBE ARE YOU STILL USING AN ANALOG PHONE?

5. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Depends on the carrier. I have the same problem in Providence and CT but it doesn't mean that they don't have caller ID. They have caller ID and it works with customers that live there. It's probably a routing problem or incompatibility between the home system and the New England system. I used to have the same problem in Fort Myers, FL until one day they upgraded the Cellular One system over there and now caller ID works there for me. This is a problem that affects some carriers only like AT&T, Cingular, Cellular One depending where you travel.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. bfbchief

bfbchief New Member

I have both Sprint and Verizon and I live in CT and caller ID works fine. Sprint even shows my name when calling land line phones.

7. Mooby

Mooby Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo 8200
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Edit-Ok so I just tried calling my cell phone from my home phone and the number appeared(although the name didn't which is fine). Does caller ID not work when recieving calls from another cell phone? Perhaps that is why it never appeared to work for me as most of the calls I'd recieved had been from other cell phones.

8. IdiOTeQnoLogY

IdiOTeQnoLogY Bronze Senior Member

in NJ/NY when i call people my name and number shows up on peoples home caller id, though sometimes just number......and the caller id on my phone usually works fine.....the only time someone's caller id doesnt show up is incoming calls from some verizon cell phone numbers, some of the time..... don't know why....and i asked my friends with verizon if they asked to have their # blocked and they said no ...it's weird cause sometimes the # shows up sometimes it doesnt. btw i have sprint

9. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    My number shows up on people's Caller ID's when I call them however it does not show the name. It either just shows the Number or it says "Tennessee Call" and then the number.

10. IdiOTeQnoLogY

IdiOTeQnoLogY Bronze Senior Member

yes when it doesnt show my name it just says 'new jersey'

11. Mike

Mike Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola RAZR V3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile, Verizon, Cingular
    I know with Motorola phones the name only shows up if it is in your address book. Otherwise it only shows the number.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. Mooby

Mooby Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo 8200
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cool thanks for the info.

13. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    In all cellphone displays, the caller ID only receives the number. It displays a name only when the number matches an entry in the phonebook. If the cellphone does not display the caller ID, it will say "blocked" or "unavailable" which means that the caller ID system is sending info to the cellphone but it simply doesn't have a number to display. If the cellphone just displays "call" or something similar then the caller ID system is not working for that cellphone. This happens sometimes when you take your phone outside your home system (regardless of your plan) although Sprint users will not have this problem unless they are roaming. Sometimes the foreign cellphone system where you happen to be roaming cannot pass along the caller ID info from your home system's switch.

Remember that if you are outside your home system's area and someone calls your cellphone, the call (no matter where it comes from) has to hit your home system's switch first, then routed to the system you happen to be roaming on. Even if both systems are from the same company, they are different systems and can use different equipment brands and that can bring some incompatibilty issues with voicemail, caller ID and other features. This can happen in some areas with carriers that have bought other smaller carriers such as AT&T, Cingular or Verizon. Equipment they bought from the smaller carrier can be totally different from the rest of their system. Since Sprint system is the most uniform throughout the country, users will not likely see any problems like these.

In a home caller ID unit things work a bit different. Landline systems can send text along with the number. Assuming that the landline phone owner is subscribed to "caller ID with name", when someone calls from a Sprint cellphone to a landline phone, the display on the home called ID unit will read the name of the Sprint cellphone account holder and the number. Calls from a cellphone (other than Sprint) to a landline phone will normally display the name of the state where the call is coming from along with the cell number. Sometimes only the number is displayed depending on where the cellphone user is calling from or the level of compatibility between the cellphone carrier system and the landline phone system.

If the landline phone owner is subscribed to caller ID only (with no name) then only the number shows up in the caller ID box regardless of where or what company the cellphone user is calling from.

Caller ID display information depends more on the receiving end than the sending end. The originator sends all the info regardless whether or not they are caller ID subscriber and as long as they are not blocking it. The receiving end might receive all the caller ID info or not depending on how the call was processed.

Ironically, landline phone's caller ID system seems more reliable and sophisticated than that of cellphones.

14. Guest

Guest Guest

CID is not available for freeup in N.E.

15. Guest

Guest Guest

Mooby, noticed from other threads you use Verizon free up----as stated in above post, on all other Verizon plans cid is available.

16. Airb330

Airb330 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I use FREEUP, and everywhere I have been, CID has been fine.

17. Guest

Guest Guest

As stated above CID is not available for free up customers in N.E. MA, CT, RI, VT, NH, ME

18. Mooby

Mooby Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo 8200
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Anonymous,
    Well it appears to work fine for me as long as I'm getting a call from a landline. If another cell is calling me then is says unavailable but it seems to work fine otherwise.

19. tompug

tompug Junior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung X-427
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular, T-mobile, Verizon
    Free-up cid works in Rhode Island on both landline and from cell phones.