Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Call Priority, What How does it Work?

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by Medic7, Jun 21, 2006.

1. Medic7

Medic7 New Member

My Phone:
    Motorola i580
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Nextel
    What is "call Priority?" I'm talking about on the Nextel/Spring system here. I'm finding that it could mean two things. I know it means that on a call there is a placing of 1 to 6. 1 is like the President, two is for Military, 3 for Law Enforcement/Paramedics, etc. Here is a link on it:
    http://wps.ncs.gov/

According to the above, you need to press *272 to activate it before each call is made.

However I hear by others that "call priority" is something that your phone and the system is set to so that each time you make a call (without pressing that *272) your call is set to a pre-determined call priority so that if the tower is busy and you have a level 2 you will bump off someone or have your call go through before say a "civilian" with a regular level 6?

Which is true?

2. roamer1

roamer1 In Memoriam

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Palm Treo 680
    Wireless Provider(s):
    lots of orange, a little Little Rock blue
    AIUI, WPS users only get priority over normal users when making calls with the WPS access code -- there is no user priority built into (most) networks otherwise. (Most networks have the capability to implement some rudimentary priorities, but most carriers don't bother.)

As for bumping users, WPS doesn't do that...it only prioritizes access to the network. "Additionally, priority calls will not preempt calls in progress"

-SC

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Medic7

Medic7 New Member

My Phone:
    Motorola i580
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Nextel
    Thank you for the reply.

Hmm, so then call Priority and WPS are not the same? Do you know then on my Nextel Bill, what is it that is listed I have each month as:
    "Public Service Value Package L3" ?

Nextel reps have no idea (or they won't tell us). Whatever it is, we all have it (paramedics and and police who have Nextel) added to our accounts.

I always thought it meant Level 3 Call Priority?

4. ZaphodB

ZaphodB Signal Go Down De Hole...

My Phone:
    LG VX5600
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon(US) Orange(FR)
    There are two ways to get call priority:

1. Call *272 before your number. You'll need to put in an access code. If you don't have an access code, it means you don't get call priority. In this case, call priority means you get the next available slot unless there are people with higher priority than you.

2. Call 710-627-4387 (710-NCS-GETS); put in your access code; dial the number. This WILL bump users off towers if your priority is set high enough; very, very few people have access to NCS GETS.

It bears saying (to forestall other people asking, not because I think you don't get it) that local law enforcement do not get call priority on wireless networks. Even our comms group in Emergency Services doesn't have a call-priority phone.

The Nextel Public Service Value Package is part of the settlement from United States v. Nextel Communications about the encroachment into public safety frequencies. There was a bunch of crap that Nextel had to give public safety organisations a deal on as part of the settlement... you can Google the settlement and it'll be in there somewhere.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Medic7

Medic7 New Member

My Phone:
    Motorola i580
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Nextel
    Yes, I know about the NCS-GETS. Out of the healthcare system I'm with (we have a combined 33 paramedics and drivers) that covers 7 counties only the director has NCS. A state trooper said only one out of the whole barrocks has it, and the local police I don't know of any who have it. I guess WPS are very selective as many are turned down who apply.

What exactly is or how does the "public service value package" work?

Also I did a google search and didn't find anything under the terms you gave?

6. Medic7

Medic7 New Member

My Phone:
    Motorola i580
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Nextel
    Rather on the bill each month it says:
    "Public Safety Value Package L3"

Not "service" as I wrote previously.

Sorry.

7. djcmaz

djcmaz Junior Member

My Phone:
    BLACKJACK / TILT
    Wireless Provider(s):
    SPRINT - (WORK PHONE)/ CINGULAR
  8. roamer1

roamer1 In Memoriam

My Phone:
    Palm Treo 680
    Wireless Provider(s):
    lots of orange, a little Little Rock blue
    WPS is provisioned on a per-line basis; WPS users only get WPS on whatever lines are approved for the service (and only on carriers/networks that support it), not from any old phone.

GETS provides priority for the wireline portion of the call (special trunking and routing, etc.) but not for the wireless portion of the call...that's what WPS is for.

Local LE agencies almost always have only a tiny handful of "key" people (chief and perhaps a few EOC type folks) registered for either...this is by design.

-SC

9. Medic7

Medic7 New Member

My Phone:
    Motorola i580
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Nextel
    Thanks for the info folks.

On the links, I can't see any information on this?

One thing I can say is that before I had this "public safety value package L3" added on, I'd have to hit redial on a constant basis during peak times to make a call as the screen would give some code (a friend always gets this during peak times now, he doesn't have the public safety package I have). Again this is with Nextel.

However, as I've been asking this, there seems to be no evidence that what I have puts my calls ahead of others (again same thing we all have in public safety with Nextel).

10. Medic7

Medic7 New Member

My Phone:
    Motorola i580
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Nextel
    One other thing I found back a few days ago on another forum (when I found this one) was (and this further confuses me) is the statement made by someone:

Do it for free (11:50am EST Fri Dec 10 2004)
    You can actually do this without paying. Just find your MSL code using BitPim, then go into the phone's hidden options and change your call priority. Though it is technically illegal to set it too high, but it will virtually guarantee your call gets through

Here is the link for the statement:
    http://www.geek.com/news/geeknews/2004Dec/bpd20041209028171.htm

Is that the same as we're talking about?

11. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I know AT&T Wireless had offered this prior to the merger, I called to find out how to get added to this and was advised they only deal with phones for the "Departments" and not individual phones. So if your phone belongs to your company or department then it can be added to this priority list, otherwise I was advised I was out of luck.

I am not sure if Sprint/Nextel is the same, but it made sense when they explained it to me, so not just anyone called to get themselves put on this list & it causes a problem overloading the systems.

12. Medic7

Medic7 New Member

My Phone:
    Motorola i580
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Nextel
    I wasn't aware AT&T had it, but then again I don't see why.

Yesterday at 3:39 PM (Tuesday) was the first in a LONG time (since I joined Nextel and had the Public Safety Value Package L3 added) that I got the message "system busy try again later, hit redial or exit." This I think was due to the storm and everyone using the tower. However it worked on the next dial and ever since.

13. mframe

mframe Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel 3aXL, Moto G7 Power
    Wireless Provider(s):
    TracFone, PagePlus, TMO, Xfinity, H2O
    I believe that poster was referring to the ACCOLC parameter in CDMA (and TDMA, and possibly, AMPS) phones. I believe it stands for "access overload class". That was an early form of call priority from "back-in-the-day", that I don't think many networks ever used. I don't know if any carrier plans to use it again, but it can be set in some non-GSM phones. The priorities go from 0-15, and it is normally set to the last digit of your phone number. Even if you can change it in normal programming mode, a network update may change it back, unless you are knowledgeable of special modding programs. The warning was don't set it to 15, in case it should be reinstated, that is what emergency personnel would use.

14. Medic7

Medic7 New Member

My Phone:
    Motorola i580
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Nextel
    Makes sense.

Thank you.