Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

California dumps headset law

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by KevinJames, Jan 15, 2002.

1. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    WirelessWeek reported that the measure died on the assembly floor. I am ashamed to say that AT&T (along with Cingular & Sprint) lobbied against it. According to the report, Verizon was the only one in favor of it.

2. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Member

Kevin,

Are you for or against the headset law? I personally don't see the safety advantage. I do use a handsfree kit with my phone but I'm as distracted with talking handsfree as I would be holding my phone. Of course one advantage would be having both hands available to hold the wheel but I generally drive with 1 hand anyway. Your thoughts?

Tp,

3. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Hi Tom,

I am "for" safe driving. My observations are that just <u>holding</u> a cell phone is a distraction. As I am driving down the freeways here in Calif., especially on a Friday evening, it is not uncommon for (what seems) every 3rd vehicle's driver to be dialing or talking on the their phone.

I can usually pick out the newer wireless users, they are the ones that can only do one thing at a time. And what they give priority to is their conversation. These are the ones that are in the #2 lane and doing 45 to 50mph.

Yes, I use the headset not only because it frees my hands but I find that i can also mentally "distance" myself from the conversation easier this way. This evening was a great demonstration of this. A family member miles away needed to be rushed to the hospital. I was to meet the rest of the family at a hospital I've never been to before (or even seen). I knew from the moment I left work that my phone would be "ringing off the hook" (hey, I just realized, cellphones don't have "hooks"). So I put my headset on, set my phone for auto-answer and sure enough I was called several times at the beginning of rush-hour traffic. I even managed to avoid a 4-car pile-up that happened just in front of me. I doubt I could have manuvered so quickly with just one hand. (People just don't realize the push/pull cooperative action of both hands (and both arms) in an exaggerated swerve maneuver. Try doing the same with one hand and you will realize how much "push" is necessary on the wheel.)

But I digress. To answer your question, again I'll state: "I am for safe driving." Laws are nice, but when enforcement isn't around, some people will pay little attention to law. I feel headsets promote safe driving (at least, for me they do).

-kev